• Total voters

Interesting position from a mathematician:-

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math

Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math

The confusion deepens if I give the following:-

ab/cd

now does this equate to (a*b)/(c*d)
or is it ((a*b)/c)*d?

So this would also mean you cannot rewrite the following expression 5/(2x+2y) as 5/2(x+y).

Also what does 4/5x mean? Do you really need to write it as 4/(5x)? as 5x=5*x

Anyone who thinks the answer to this problem is "obvious" and "elementary" does not fully understand its intricacies.

Oh also

10x/5x then has to become 10*x/5*x (using the order of operators) so you come up with 10x/5x=2x^2 which is clearly wrong

Anyway, something to ponder

After you do the parenthesis it becomes 48/2*12, so how the fuck do people get 2 from that, rofl.

They get 2, because 1 they think they're being smart by adding shit to the problem that isn't there or 2 don't know math.

48/(2(9+3)) = 2, but that's not the problem we're solving.

Heres where the problem lies:
People don't understand the division symbol with the dots. Imagine this written vertically with the horizontal bar:

____
2(9+3)

In this case, people who answered 2 would be correct. The problem lies in that people are retarded and don't understand that the division symbol with dots is for left to right computation, meaning groupings are not the same as if you had the horizontal bar.

So, if you answer 2 to the question in the op, you're still a fucking idiot.

Heres where the problem lies:
People don't understand the division symbol with the dots. Imagine this written vertically with the horizontal bar:

____
2(9+3)

In this case, people who answered 2 would be correct. The problem lies in that people are retarded and don't understand that the division symbol with dots is for left to right computation, meaning groupings are not the same as if you had the horizontal bar.

So, if you answer 2 to the question in the op, you're still a fucking idiot.

No that's not 48/2(9+3) that's 48/(2(9+3)).

Holy fuck. In b4 3 pages.

The wrong answer still has the most votes, mind=blown.

48÷2(9+3)
=>48 ÷ 2 x (12)
=>24 x 12
=288

2up3cxy.png

I wish people would stop saying it is simple and obvious and people are idiots for not knowing the answer, IT IS NOT!!! You are showing yourselves up to be fools by ignoring the fact that this is not simple and clear cut.

A lot of highly intelligent mathematicians don't agree on the subject, so I doubt your small minds are able to fully grasp it.

For the dumb asses who are berating those you think the answer is 2 please read what I wrote above, and if that is too complex then go and have a look here where is it explained in much simpler terms:-

The Order of Operations: More Examples

(see the third example and its explanation).

"The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations"

It's obvious when you use the division symbol with the dots.

WTF childspeak are you using "the division symbol with the dots" hahahahaha

You might want to double check what you're saying, because it's clear you have no clue what you're talking about.

Considering I said if it was written that way they would be correct, I'm pretty sure you need to improve your reading comprehension.