48÷2(9+3) = ????

48÷2(9+3)

Votes: 127 43.6%

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • idunnololdog.jpg

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
yes its an obelus, but not everyone is expected to know it. I was just taking the piss because you were calling people retards and you are coming across as a proper retard yourself.

For that I would have to sound like I thought I knew what it was called rather that describe it, clearly indicating I was not familiar with the name.

certain answer: "2" 48:2x(9+3) and multiplication distributive property( google translate lol) 48:(2x9+2x3) = 2

Give Maths Genius a thanks :)

Asnwer = 2.

Basic algebra, distributive property. The 2(9+3) is an entire statement and can't be broken up. 2(9+3) = (2*9+2*3) = 24.

48/24 = 2.

The 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified beforedoing any other operations.

Rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3) = 2

Some of you are doing it this way:

48/2*(9+3) which is not the same as 48/2(9+3).

The first one reads 48/2*1(9+3) while the second one reads 48/(2*9+2*3).

Order of Operations

you do division and multiplication from left to right. it seems intuitive to do times 2 by 12 since we just finished the brackets, but no.

edit: can't properly link it from google - just do a google search on the equation and you'll see that its 288

it's 288

The debate on this seemingly simple equation has finally made me understand why there is no consensus in the state of our economy. I've recast the equation in an economic context as such:

tax base / government programs ( debt obligations + bailouts ) = ?? just how broke are we, a little broke or really fuckin broke ??

Asnwer = 2.

Basic algebra, distributive property. The 2(9+3) is an entire statement and can't be broken up. 2(9+3) = (2*9+2*3) = 24.

48/24 = 2.

The 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified beforedoing any other operations.

Rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3) = 2

Some of you are doing it this way:

48/2*(9+3) which is not the same as 48/2(9+3).

The first one reads 48/2*1(9+3) while the second one reads 48/(2*9+2*3).

Maybe when a human reads it... I would automatically read it as 48 all over 2x12, which is 48 all over 24 => 2. That's assuming that the person who wrote the equation "miswrote" it.

Every computer program reads it as (48÷2)*(12). So, you better notify the creators of C, C+, C++, Matlab, WolframAlpha and fucking Google, and tell them that all of todays C21 algos are based on incorrect formulas and that you are 100% correct.

Can't we just wait for an actual mathematician(with a degree) to come and give a final answer?

The only idiots in this thread are those who think the answer is immediately obvious - it's not.

And unless you're a mathematician (and enjoy debating this kind of stuff) all it proves is that we should all be careful when writing equations to avoid ambiguity.

Reactions: metaphors
Maybe when a human reads it... I would automatically read it as 48 all over 2x12, which is 48 all over 24 => 2. That's assuming that the person who wrote the equation "miswrote" it.

Every computer program reads it as (48÷2)*(12). So, you better notify the creators of C, C+, C++, Matlab, WolframAlpha and fucking Google, and tell them that all of todays C21 algos are based on incorrect formulas and that you are 100% correct.

Can't we just wait for an actual mathematician(with a degree) to come and give a final answer?

wtf does a degree with math have to do with having the correct answer? When somebody is studying to get a degree in math do you really think they're studying stuff like what 48÷2(9+3) equals?

Dr. Sheldon Cooper wouldn't have a problem with this....

knock knock knock...Penny knock knock knock...Penny knock knock knock...Penny

Reactions: metaphors
288, interpretation for affiliates:

1) Working 2 days with no sleep = 48 hours.
2) You are pushing 2 offers - 1 pays $9, another $3. Constantly getting 1 conversion on each offer every hour makes it $12 an hour.
3) The network takes 50%, therefore we pretty much work 1 day for selves, 1 for the network - 48 hours is now 24 hours for selves.
4) 24hr x $12 = $288.

It is a different story if it is 48/(2(3+9)), meaning:
You pushed 2 offers - one $3, another $9. Twice each = $24 in 48 hours, making it $2 an hour, which becomes $1 for you after the network takes 50%.

So I don't see a 2 here...

headasplode.jpg
Wow, that's pretty ridiculous. I entrusted most of my math life into my TI-83 and TI-89 and now I question everything I ever did...

Eh, got this wrong. After grade 5 I stopped seeing the division sign, so I would do order of operation above/below as if they were separate equations.

--------
2(9+3)

!=

48/2(9+3)