48÷2(9+3)

Votes: 127 43.6%

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • idunnololdog.jpg

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
the answer is 2, guys...ever heard of the BODMAS rule

brackect open, divide, multiply, add, subtract....duh

It's actually Brackets, Orders, Divide or Multiply, Add or Subtract. I can see this thread only getting better.

headasplode.jpg

the answer is 2, guys...ever heard of the BODMAS rule

brackect open, divide, multiply, add, subtract....duh

The "DM" and "AS" are grouped; there is not a ordering hierarchy between division and multiplication.

I would still vote 2, despite of the left-right rule, since the 2(9+3) appears to be a grouped term due to the absence of a proper * sign. I read it as 48÷[2(9+3)]. I would answer 288 to 48÷2*(9+3), or preferably 48/2*(9+3).

As such, regardless of the "technically" correct answer, this is simply a poorly written expression, mixing division symbols (who uses those), regular symbols (+ is just fine) and implied symbols (no *). The result is obviously purposefully confusing, and not worth getting too excited about.

fun fact: multiplication and division are the same god damn thing, just like addition and subtraction are.

Agree with FredWallace18, this is just a poorly written question, it can be 2 or 288, depending on how you interpret it.

The "DM" and "AS" are grouped; there is not a ordering hierarchy between division and multiplication.

I would still vote 2, despite of the left-right rule, since the 2(9+3) appears to be a grouped term due to the absence of a proper * sign. I read it as 48÷[2(9+3)]. I would answer 288 to 48÷2*(9+3), or preferably 48/2*(9+3).

As such, regardless of the "technically" correct answer, this is simply a poorly written expression, mixing division symbols (who uses those), regular symbols (+ is just fine) and implied symbols (no *). The result is obviously purposefully confusing, and not worth getting too excited about.

Expression has been written perfectly. It is NOT a poorly written expression and It will never confuse the people who know Math as Math

There is no confusion or misleading, it can be solved simply without any single doubt

48÷2(9+3) - Brackets first
48÷2x12 -Division next
24x12 - Multiply
288 - Answer

Agree with FredWallace18, this is just a poorly written question, it can be 2 or 288, depending on how you interpret it.

Don't look at Math with Business/Marketing eyes ;) Math does not have different answers for different people. There is only one answer and there is only one RIGHT interpretation

We can see why most of the people who are good at math and science suck at business and most of the people who are good at business suck at Maths (poll results also proof..lol).

Unless you're dealing with some really nasty trigonometry, where you can get totally different looking answers, that actually mean the exact same thing.

Yes. That's where some Mathematics researchers find a topic for their thesis :)

Last edited: