The Official Trading Thread

Interesting thread.
To those of you who are day trading: what is your goal and why aren't you trying to achieve that with Internet Marketing instead?

The number one thing that analysts will be looking for when it comes to Facebook is mobile growth. That was the main reason why it first had that massive downtrend from its IPO price and now for the past few quarters has remained the prime topic. The other week Google posted a handsome increase in revenue from mobile advertisements, and now analysts are expecting the same from Facebook

If I had to pick a direction for Facebook, it would be towards the upside in the immediate future.

Agree, and logging into my FB ads account shows me that the CPC for their mobile ads is higher than ever. Good sign heading into earnings.

Interesting thread.
To those of you who are day trading: what is your goal and why aren't you trying to achieve that with Internet Marketing instead?

I was in IM for 6 years and did very well. The biggest problem with the industry is the constant adaptation. I was beginning to get sick of the whole us vs them mentality. Them being the traffic mediums. Bottom line, looking forward five years, it is impossible to tell if this industry will exist the way it does today.

One thing I know about the markets is that they will be around for 5/20/100 years from this day and they will barely change from the way it is today.

Apple is performing very well today. Posted a high of $439.99 seconds ago. A break above $440 will push the stock another $10 in a blink of an eye. $460 is the next level to watch out for. A break past $460 will bring in a roar of bulls.

this market is nuts. market almost in the green again, S&P at historic highs ..feels like the 90's again but with consumer discretionary stocks the new dotcoms. crazy shit

Very cool to see this thread. I mentioned opening up a forum for these discussions in one of the bitcoin threads. A thread will suffice for now. Good stuff so far.

this market is nuts. market almost in the green again, S&P at historic highs ..feels like the 90's again but with consumer discretionary stocks the new dotcoms. crazy shit

Except that PE levels are reasonable, for example Apple trades at a PE of 9 after excluding cash. In the 90s Cisco traded close to a PE of 120. Companies have a ton of cash and are profitable. Way different then the 90s

Sure, the CEO is not my favorite, but that's not enough to deter me from the positive signals I see.
Fundamentally, it should be.

Facebook has 3 primary ways to increase their earnings: boost pageviews/users, skim $$ off the top of digital goods in apps, and to increase their CTR/CPC of their ads.
FB can't tweak itself into greatness, in my opinion.

The GreatGrunin might see some immediate upside, but I wouldn't get so excited about it. That said, I seriously thought FB would be trading around 15-20 by now. FB is faced with a herculean task - to figure out mobile on a giant scale. Last sale is $27.20 - that's a market cap of almost $65 billion, P/E ratio is absurd. I can't get past it and I personally think FB has been forming a trading range that will be tough to escape.

Damn, all you guys are missing the fun. Apple is shooting up, I added more calls about 20 minutes ago. Google is up very nicely as well. I added just a bit more there about 30 minutes ago. Anyone else holding any of these techs?

Damn, all you guys are missing the fun. Apple is shooting up, I added more calls about 20 minutes ago. Google is up very nicely as well. I added just a bit more there about 30 minutes ago. Anyone else holding any of these techs?
No positions. I'm happier working around trading (sales equity ranking system, I come and go from a broker/dealer as I wish - great place) than actually trading. Trading gives heart attacks to the guys who don't get out - but no one under 30 should even think about, much less worry about that. And trading for myself will lock in a heart attack. Over pennies, no less.

how much $ did you make with AAPL and GOOG?

my trading 'career' was a disaster
big losses on bitcoins, stocks etc

how much $ did you make with AAPL and GOOG?

my trading 'career' was a disaster
big losses on bitcoins, stocks etc

In the five figures the past two days.

I place most of my attention and capital into my short strangle and diagonal spreads which I typically hold for a week's time. The return % is much less but there is less position maintenance and stress is considerably lower.

Every now and then when the opportunity presents itself, I go in with some naked calls/puts.

Closing most of my Apple positions here and half of my Google positions. I don't want to be too heavy overnight. I will once again hold SPX puts overnight. We had all reports except Chicago PMI come in positive this morning, and that wasn't enough to move the markets higher.

Fundamentally, it should be.

FB can't tweak itself into greatness, in my opinion.

The GreatGrunin might see some immediate upside, but I wouldn't get so excited about it. That said, I seriously thought FB would be trading around 15-20 by now. FB is faced with a herculean task - to figure out mobile on a giant scale. Last sale is $27.20 - that's a market cap of almost $65 billion, P/E ratio is absurd. I can't get past it and I personally think FB has been forming a trading range that will be tough to escape.

Why should I care about the CEO when I'm not counting on innovation or continued growth? I don't need FB to tweak itself into greatness, I need them tweak into an earnings/guidance beat, at which point I'll take my 10-15% return and move on. With the 3% bump today, if it runs up any more before earnings tomorrow I can put in a stop/loss that will have me nicely in the green regardless of what happens tomorrow afternoon.