Good places to live as an internet marketer?

You can live cheap as hell in northern Florida. Daytona Beach/Jax area. I'm talking 2br/2ba ocean front condos in luxury buildings for about $1500/mo.

You can live cheap as hell in northern Florida. Daytona Beach/Jax area. I'm talking 2br/2ba ocean front condos in luxury buildings for about $1500/mo.

What type of condo fees are there? I was looking at Miami and there were some cheap condos there but the condo fees where as much as the monthly mortgage would be on the condo.

For those of you in Thailand, or that have lived in Thailand previously. Where would you recommend living? I know that's a pretty generic question but I'm planning on moving there in a year or two for 6 mos - 1 year.

Ideally I'd like to have a beach town that isn't a complete tourist trap but still big enough to have stuff going on.

From what I've researched I've heard Pattaya may foot the bill and isn't a total clusterfuck like Phuket.

Dude, your research sucks. Pattaya is an absolute cesspool. Seriously, it is the trashiest place in the whole country, maybe the whole world, on so many levels. If you want to swim with turds then Pattaya's beach would be for you.

Phuket is blown out with tourism over development so agree that isn't the best choice.

Lots of beach choices but I prefer the mountains for the better weather so someone else will need to give you some recommendations. Problem is that things go quickly from overdeveloped and trashed to underdeveloped and lacking services. So you need find those little pockets of balance.

What type of condo fees are there? I was looking at Miami and there were some cheap condos there but the condo fees where as much as the monthly mortgage would be on the condo.

If you're renting, there are no condo/association fees.

China? Are you fucking kidding me? They filter the internet.

... my father travels there a lot for architecture work ... the filtering results generally (he claims) in generally quite slooooow connections

so of course you could use VPN or whatever to get around filtering but it would still be slow - and when working with CMS sites like wordpress that means a lot of lost time.

BUT that said - the super positive optimistic vibe (at least in certain parts of china) with economy and rapid changes etc make it appealing to me...

no one i don't think has mentioned south america at all....

obviously many countries have some serious issues there but a tech friend of mine set up a programming / development team / company in buenos aires - and hangs out down there a lot of the time...

i asked him why there - the reason wasn't so much cost (i'm not sure what labor and cost of living is like there or similar spots) but that he just loves it there...
i'm hoping to come along with him sometime in the next couple months as i have an open invite and place to crash - check it out for myself - south america has always seemed appealing to me too...

hmm... have you guys considered one thing? Language? Are you going to learn Thai, Spanish, Portuguese, Balinese, Malay, Bulgarian, Chinese or whatever the language of your "dream country" is? If you do, then it won't be easy for most people - it will take a lot of time and effort and many years to get truly fluent. And if you don't - do you realize that you will be effectively a second-class, semi-handicapped resident? Even if you live in an expat area?

hmm... have you guys considered one thing? Language? Are you going to learn Thai, Spanish, Portuguese, Balinese, Malay, Bulgarian, Chinese or whatever the language of your "dream country" is? If you do, then it won't be easy for most people - it will take a lot of time and effort and many years to get truly fluent. And if you don't - do you realize that you will be effectively a second-class, semi-handicapped resident? Even if you live in an expat area?

yeah a lot of people don't get this, in many countries they're very strict against foreigners - even Thailand, the affiliate paradise. If you break their laws and end up in jail, enjoy your rape.

Not really, most people (in 3rd world countries at least) look up to Westerners and speak basic English.

Not really, most people (in 3rd world countries at least) look up to Westerners and speak basic English.

What?

No, they speak english because they know most westerners don't speak anything else.

"looking up to westerners" - yeah right.

::emp::

What?

No, they speak english because they know most westerners don't speak anything else.

"looking up to westerners" - yeah right.

::emp::

I guess I mean, Caucasians.

In the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietname, Cambodia and even Singapore and China, the general mentality is White people = money. I know, I'm from Malaysia (born and breed), I have friends from these other places, (local filipinos and indonesian).

In most cities, Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Pattaya, Phuke, Bangkok, you'll get along just fine speaking strictly English.

English is part of the curriculum for most of these people. They speak the language because they're westernized themselves or just like speaking English.

Most Chinese in SG for example, speak English among themselves.

The Indians in my neighborhood don't speak Tamil. They speak English.

Being a white person in Asia, you're practically treated as first-class citizen, better than locals.

Not in Thailand. English languages skills are very poor here. In the tourist areas they speak basic English well enough but that's only because they view you as a walking ATM. If you know the language fairly well you'll love how they talk about you while you are standing right in front of them. Like I go into a 7-11 to buy a snack and the cashier says to her friend in Thai "I bet he pays with a 1,000 baht bank note. They always do that, farang are so rich." When I tell them in Thai that I'm standing right in front of them and understand every word they are saying they look so startled.

Kind of funny the first time but it gets old after a while. Especially the institutionalized double pricing - go to any national park and the sign says in English that entry is 400 baht but written in Thai the price is listed as 40 baht. Other places you'll see signs with the entry fee written in English but in Thai it says Thai people enter free.

Yeah, the language issue is a big one so many places. There are also some serious worth ethic issues in many places. Those two things alone have quickly killed my attempts to use locals in Thailand. I have to freakin' outsource to other countries even though I live in a place where the average person makes US$10 per day.

You make many good points.
But a major problem with incorporating in the Phils is that foreigners are not allowed to own a majority share of any business and are required to take on a Filipino business partner. That "partner" will own the majority and control the company, and his citizenship is often his only contribution to the deal.
Not a good scenario in any way, and one of the reasons why the country is lagging badly behind the other countries in the region in pretty much all respects. It's just not that attractive for foreigners to invest under those conditions.
Apart from that, I agree that the Phils is a pretty decent place to use as a playground. Incorporate in a tax haven, live (and work on your campaigns) in Cebu and you can get by just fine on $3000/mo. $2000 would be insufficient for a decent standard of living, in my opinion, though I know there are westerners who live OK on that.

There are different ways to circumvent the law. Although, it is a fact that we are left behind by other Asian countries when it comes to giving more investor-friendly laws but we do lack implementation here...For an internet marketer if you want to get more from your earnings it is best to live in a place where cost of living is relatively cheap. However, when it comes to quality health care and top quality facilities like hospital, it would be best to live in a developed country. Here the rich ones (Filipinos) will go to the U.S. to get the best treatment for their disease like cancer or when they need surgery. They have greater chance to come home alive than going to our hospitals here.

Not in Thailand. English languages skills are very poor here. In the tourist areas they speak basic English well enough but that's only because they view you as a walking ATM. If you know the language fairly well you'll love how they talk about you while you are standing right in front of them. Like I go into a 7-11 to buy a snack and the cashier says to her friend in Thai "I bet he pays with a 1,000 baht bank note. They always do that, farang are so rich." When I tell them in Thai that I'm standing right in front of them and understand every word they are saying they look so startled.

Kind of funny the first time but it gets old after a while. Especially the institutionalized double pricing - go to any national park and the sign says in English that entry is 400 baht but written in Thai the price is listed as 40 baht. Other places you'll see signs with the entry fee written in English but in Thai it says Thai people enter free.

Yeah, the language issue is a big one so many places. There are also some serious worth ethic issues in many places. Those two things alone have quickly killed my attempts to use locals in Thailand. I have to freakin' outsource to other countries even though I live in a place where the average person makes US$10 per day.

Yeah, the self-entitlement attitude is overwhelming. Here in Malaysia, Bengali's work the hardest. (probably the same in Thai)

About the institutionalized double pricing, I don't agree with it but I suppose I understand where they're coming from. They're trying to give an incentive to locals to go to these boring places that otherwise would've never crossed their mind. They had this campaign going on for years now calling for locals to vacation in the country instead of overseas.

I brought some Americans to a local park here once and they had to pay double and that sucked.