Web Development Apps

Fire bug

Thanks for that!

I'm using fire bug addons in firefox browser in tracking css for website designing.

That's pretty cool!!
Thanks

Samanta!

I've been getting off on Art Text 2 for quite a while now, so thought it deserves posting. It's just dreamy for quickly doing buttons, icons, logos and general small text and small image based graphics. Fireworks for everything else.

I also recommend, Cross Over, which is how I run Notepad++.

Oh, and MAMP, Flux, Rapidweaver and Pixelmator deserve recognition as well, for being superb softwarez.

Yeah there are numerous web development software available. I personally use Dreamweaver and it is really good. the more tools you use for web developing, chances will automatically increase to have best outcomes..

Nobody mentioned Zen Coding yet? Here's a list of my main tools for web dev and related activities:

Softwares:
Sublime Text w/ Zen Coding - Code editor
Firefox w/ firebug, web developer, colourfultabs, noscript, measureit addons.
WampServer - Lighter package than xampp.
FlashFXP 4 - FTP Client (SSH/SFTP/FTP)
XYPlorer - Kickass file manager for Windows
RoboForm - decent password manager for one-click logins into websites/backends

Scripts/Frameworks: HTML + CSS + JS, YUI, jQuery, PHP + MySQL, Wordpress.

Zen coding? It wasn't mentioned prob because it's not an application nor a framework....it's a plugin. Not bashing it... if you get use to it i'm sure it'd save u a whole lot of time getting css work done with all the abbreviations + filters + what not. There are better plugins out there for vim and textmate that can do the same thing on steroids though so i guess it's whatever floats your boat + throws your hair back. :)

btw for those wondering here's the link for your zen coding resource (they list pretty much every app mentioned in this thread too):
zen-coding - Set of plugins for HTML and CSS hi-speed coding - Google Project Hosting

Wamp is a lil more stripped down than xamp, and is more updated... it's why ti's got the lighter footprint.... but in the end, why code on a pc in the first place? open up a virtualization of evne just 64 megs and code in linux my friend... you'll save time :)

it's an application in the sense of applying it to something used for web dev .. ;)

Why code on a PC? Because PC is the best ever. And you can't challenge that fact, my friend. What's a linux btw? And what do you mean you'd save time on this linux thing?

DBDesigner/Mysql Workbench - Recently DBDesigner turned into MySQL workbench (and now they charge I believe), there is also an app called DBDesigner Fork that is free. These programs are a GUI wrapper for creating database structures, relationships, etc. They are a great way to build and store database structures for complex projects, they easily generate SQL queries & reverse engineer existing databases.
I'm not sure if you're talking about THE MySQL Workbench, but it's free. I live inside MySQL Query Browser (now replaced by workbench).

As far as other tools that are good for Developers, which we use all day:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tamper-data/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookies-manager-plus/

and most importantly:
gedit

Also, a Linux/Windows free equivalent to Photoshop is:
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Can't say I've found a "perfect" text editor.

Dreamweaver has the best code formatting functionality. In most other respects Textmate is a nicer piece of software.

Coda is well designed but not quite as feature rich.

Design, Development & Programming

Thank you all, guys for your wonderful suggestions. But they are all techie stuff. I am a total newbie. I am looking around to learn in a very simple way. Any help.:) again Thanks for the sharing guys.

For research and development (tools that haven't been mentioned):-
Firefox/Iceweasel extensions - UserAgent Plus, Exif viewer, Dust-me (unused CSS selector).
KDE Web Dev - KLinkStatus and KompoZer.
curl and wget for research and mirroring - also useful (wget) to make fast static copy of a slow CMS site.
VirtualBox - for building close duplicates of the host environment for clients so they can test out changes before pushing them to the production server.
Webmin and VirtualMin for easy control and cloning of development sites.
Dolphin for fish://
Kdiff
phpadmin, mysql-dmin and dpsyco-mysql
I use an online tool for making favicons.
Did anyone mention the Javascript deobscurater extension for Iceweasel/Firefox?

kutcher-Ashton - are you a copy bot?

Last edited: