Web Development Apps

+1 for Firebug with FirePHP.
Google Page Speed addon for Firebug
+1 for Web Developer toolbar
Tamper Data is good for integrity and functional testing, and basic security smoke tests.

That's about all I use on a regular basis.

I still use vim because in my school days we only had linux machines. Too used to it after all that C/Java/python and I'd miss etags . All my friends love TextMate. I can't bring myself to pay for it, especially when I'm finally productive with vim.

Here's my stuff...

SecureCRT: SSH

Notepad++ (UEdit for some things): Single file editing, but I still haven't found the perfect editor that does syntax highlighting the way I want.

FileZilla: FTP/SFTP

SFTPdrive: Remote mount SFTP/SCP (SSH home directory can be mounted as a Windows drive, very handy.)

Navicat: MySQL hands-on, although I use the shell for most stuff.

FeedDemon: RSS reader

EverNote (2.x, not 3.x): Note taking... I use this for so much stuff. Hierarchical organization of notes, accounts, code snippets, lists, etc.

Taskbar Shuffle: Allows me to organize apps in my taskbar the way I want them

Input Director: Allows me to control my other pc's with one mouse and keyboard (software KVM without the V)

Trillian: messaging

X-Chat: IRC

Trying out some other stuff too..

ManicTime: Automatically tracks what you do based on what windows have focus

Speedfan: Track temps in your system

NetMeter: track your network I/O

hey guys, can anyone suggest any wysiwyg tool that one could use inplace of more advanced web developing apps.

gedit - for quick edits

bluefish - for everything else ('unstable' version is better for now if you are working over ssh)

firefox with colorzilla, firebug, greasemonkey, live http headers, yslow/page speed, web developer toolbar.

gnome terminal

gimp + occaisional use of photoshop in a virtualbox xp installation because there's still some stuff i can't do in gimp

filezilla to a couple of hosts i don't have ssh access for.

and that's pretty much it.

the javascript below can be used as a firebug bookmarklet with any internet browser. just create a new bookmark and set the location with the code in the quote.

javascript:var%20firebug=document.createElement('script');firebug.setAttribute('src','http://getfirebug.com/releases/lite/1.2/firebug-lite-compressed.js');document.body.appendChild(firebug);(function(){if(window.firebug.version){firebug.init();}else{setTimeout(arguments.callee);}})();void(firebug);

sftp and texteditor

I use a screen reader called Jaws for Windows; I am blind.
WinScp works well with it, as well as the ultra liteweight ted notepad editor. E texteditor looks to be the best editor, cygwin cli works great only jaws hardly reads the package selection screen of the cygwin installer.
It seems I should try vim under windows and under linux.
I was able to use vmware to host ubuntu and the orca screen reader.
Orca is nearly as good as the jaws screen reader, jaws costs $1000.
Working as a developer seems dreadful using a screen reader.
Some people are successful at it however, I strive to be one of them.

Total Appreciation

chuckfull of great posts - Thank you so much.

am not sure if it was mentioned - but I also use the under-appreciated OneNote, simply because I don't even have to click 'save' plus it gives me not only the text, the links and images complete but also where I captured it from. [me, forgetful me, this is a great plus] :zzwhip:

web development and design company

the web design applications are as follows:
  • Design efficiently.
  • Experience your design early to test ideas.
  • Engage stakeholders to gather valuable feedback.
  • Automate specifications avoiding tedious documentation.
  • Enable design collaboration.
  • Notepad++ (UEdit for some things): Single file editing, but I still haven't found the perfect editor that does syntax highlighting the way I want.

FileZilla: FTP/SFTP

SFTPdrive: Remote mount SFTP/SCP (SSH home directory can be mounted as a Windows drive, very handy.)

Navicat: MySQL hands-on, although I use the shell for most stuff.

FeedDemon: RSS reader

Last edited:
ZendStudio/Eclipse+PDT: My IDE of choice with the following plugins (all free).

• Remote System Explorer (RSE): " * remote file systems through SSH, FTP or dstore agents (seamless editing of remote files including remote search and compare), remote shell access (compiling with error navigation), remote process handling through dstore agents, and remote debugging through CDT / gdb / gdbserver." Getting Started with Target Management
  • Subversive (SVN): Full-fledged SVN access and controls. Eclipse Subversive - SVN Team Provider Project

Charles: "Charles is an HTTP proxy / HTTP monitor / Reverse Proxy that enables a developer to view all of the HTTP and SSL / HTTPS traffic between their machine and the Internet. This includes requests, responses and the HTTP headers (which contain the cookies and caching information)." Great for debugging AJAX, AMF, etc. You can also impose throttles to test your apps at different bandwidths. Free version only stays open for 30 minutes, which is usually more than enough, but you can always reopen it. Charles Web Debugging Proxy • HTTP Monitor / HTTP Proxy / HTTPS & SSL Proxy / Reverse Proxy

Shell/Terminal (Mac): The short of it is that you need to learn unix shell commands. They're powerful, time savers, and can be great for automation (if that sort of thing is your bag). Here are just a few valuable tools:
-ssh (putty): If your host allows you to ssh in, this tool is invaluable due to the immense amount of time that it will save you. Uploading a site becomes as simple as
Code:
$ cd mysite
$ tar -czf upload.tar public_html
$ scp upload.tar dvader@deathstar.com:mysite
$ ssh dvader@deathstar.com
$ cd mysite
$ tar xzf upload.tar
  • scp: Why FTP when you never have to leave the shell? Stands for "secure copy." It works very similar to `cp` except that it works across networks
  • grep: Need to find a string in a shit-ton of files? `grep -R "here piggy piggy" .`
  • svn: Source control for the win.

Non-Windows:

Virtual Box: PC emulation that runs light and smooth. And it's free!. Fuck parallels, it's a hog. VirtualBox

Mac only

Spotlight (apple+space hotkey): I use this all the time. It speeds up everything by an incredible amount and allows me to ditch the mouse to a certain extent. The more you use it for specific things, the faster those things popup. For example "apple+space t enter" and Terminal is open, "apple+space tex enter" and TextEditor (or TextWrangle, which ever you use more) is open. Wicked fast once you get it worked into your daily methods.

I use a screen reader called Jaws for Windows; I am blind.
WinScp works well with it, as well as the ultra liteweight ted notepad editor. E texteditor looks to be the best editor, cygwin cli works great only jaws hardly reads the package selection screen of the cygwin installer.
It seems I should try vim under windows and under linux.
I was able to use vmware to host ubuntu and the orca screen reader.
Orca is nearly as good as the jaws screen reader, jaws costs $1000.
Working as a developer seems dreadful using a screen reader.
Some people are successful at it however, I strive to be one of them.

That's some heavy gnarly shit man, I'm blown away you are able to code like that. Congrats.

Mac only

Spotlight (apple+space hotkey): I use this all the time. It speeds up everything by an incredible amount and allows me to ditch the mouse to a certain extent. The more you use it for specific things, the faster those things popup. For example "apple+space t enter" and Terminal is open, "apple+space tex enter" and TextEditor (or TextWrangle, which ever you use more) is open. Wicked fast once you get it worked into your daily methods.
Available for Windows under the name "Launchy".

screen-scraper not for it's scraping tools (although they're pretty good) but for it's proxy with peeking function. Get foxyproxy you can make a quick switch then anything you feed through the screen-scraper proxy is captured and easy to dissect. Captures ajax beautifully and if you transfer a captured page to a new project it gives you a really easy to read list of params either GET, POST urlEncoded or POST multipart.