Thinking About Buying a Bike

Or you could buy yourself a Harley, Triumph or Victory and not worry about racing around like a monkey on the back of a dog and looking like a Power Ranger.

Want to go fast? Buy a sports car. Want the feeling of the open road? Get a convertible.

That way when Suzy Dumbass-Homemaker is speeding, putting on lip stick, and flapping her gums on the cell phone her mistake won't kill you instantly.

Bought this from my girlfriends dad (still waiting on his slow ass to deliver). It was cheap as hell, gonna make it look pretty and re-sell probably.

2qjlg7q.jpg

6oot5d.jpg

Engines been replaced with a 175cc

EDIT has gone - Out of roadbikes, whats a decent low price one to start with? I know theres some suggestions up top but I ain't searching the price of all them.

Never really been bothered with bikes before but a decent, cheapish roadbike would be nice ;P

You guys are assholes.

I've wanted a bike so bad for about 10 years and never have been able to bring myself to buy one because I have a hunch that they are just too damn dangerous for me. Now I gotta read this shit and it makes me want one really bad. I wish they weren't so dangerous. Honestly I am more concerned about other drivers than myself. People just drive like complete shit.

You guys are assholes.

I've wanted a bike so bad for about 10 years and never have been able to bring myself to buy one because I have a hunch that they are just too damn dangerous for me. Now I gotta read this shit and it makes me want one really bad. I wish they weren't so dangerous. Honestly I am more concerned about other drivers than myself. People just drive like complete shit.

Go take a motorcycle safety course and use one of their bikes. you'll learn that bikes are dangerous when you know what happens and what to expect if they are ridden incorrectly.

you are right about being cautious of other drivers - that's how it is for everyone.

Listen dude...

I'm a very experienced rider, race license, stunt shows, you name it.... My very first bike was actually a Honda VTR 250 it was a very gay bike, even nicknamed by some of my friends as "clutch n a bump" however there is some logic to the 250...

A 250 will go very FAST but it doesn't accelerate as violently as a 600+. I think there is a valid argument between the 250 and 600 for first time riders. Both sides have valid points. Even though i'm not biased on either or I think it comes down to this.

If you "KNOW" that you can respect the power of a 600 (meaning you have a LOT of self control) then go for the 600. But do your self a HUGE favor and go to a motorcycle training class. It will SAVE your life. There is just shit you don't know without someone telling you like the road lines when wet, the oil in the middle of the road, when it starts to rain, etc, etc.

If you "THINK" that you can "RESPECT" the power of a 600 (but you have a tendency to go with the adrenaline rush) then go for the 250. This is only for the first summer.

Oh and NO matter what your friends tell you, it's not a matter of IF you will drop it, it's a matter of WHEN. Everyone drops their bike at some point, even if it just falls over in your driveway your gonna scratch her up.

Also another word of advise.... Ride within your LIMITS, if you are with friends don't try to keep up if you don't feel comfortable. Just know where your going and get there on your own terms. Trust me to many people went down trying to keep up with us, thinking they were hot shots.

I agree with getting a 2003+ model ... IMHO Honda's are more reliable. A CBR600RR is a nice bike. They even have a CBR250.

BTW no matter what happens going from one bike to another is an entirely different animal. The throttle response, suspension, braking, compression is different on each one.

Riding a bike is extremely fun and there really aren't words to describe the freedom you get from them. Just follow our advice and be careful and you won't end up being another statistic.

Reactions: HiGhPeR
......But do your self a HUGE favor and go to a motorcycle training class. It will SAVE your life. There is just shit you don't know without someone telling you like the road lines when wet, the oil in the middle of the road, when it starts to rain, etc, etc.

^ Fucking this.

+rep nick!

I agree with getting a 2003+ model ... IMHO Honda's are more reliable. A CBR600RR is a nice bike. They even have a CBR250.

Good luck finding one of them in the USA. The CBR250RR and Kawasaki ZXR250 are perfect bikes for beginners, but they're gray imports outside of Japan or Malaysia so it's almost impossible to find parts for them.

What's most important as a beginner isn't the amount of power, but how it's delivered. A 600cc V-twin is going to be more forgiving and safe for a new rider than a supersport, since the power delivery doesn't happen all at once. A 600cc inline four is going to deliver tons of power suddenly, which is the opposite of what you want when you're not used to riding a bike.

Get a used 400cc bike, preferably one which doesn't have fairings or flashy plastic bits to replace for the inevitable low-speed drop. A Honda CB400SF or Yamama XJR400 would be perfect, or even one of the new Kawasaki 650cc Ninjas or ER6N if that's more your thing. Don't get a 600cc sport bike straight away, they're stupidly powerful and the throttle response is too twitchy for a beginner.

Safest Bet - Buy a 250 cheap, learn to ride, then sell it, hopefully break even and go out and buy a nice 600. Don't buy the 250 new as you're just pissing away money and there's plenty of them for sale. Ride the 250, get your license, and some experience and you'll be on a much safer path versus getting even just a 600 and not really learning how to ride or respect motorcycles... 600s have more than enough power to get you into wayyy too much trouble out the gate.

I just re-read the OP's post, and I'm not sure if he's ever ridden before. If not, please please take the MSF course (msf-usa.org), and you'll be able to get your motorcycle license that way. I also recommend taking the Advanced course they offer, if your local school offers it. I think that learning to fall properly is a necessary skill, because as somebody else said, it's not a matter of if you're going to lay down your bike, it's only when you're going to do it.

I think that a 600cc sportsbike is fine as a starter bike, as long as you respect it. You would get bored on a 250 street bike pretty fast. A 600's acceleration is very powerful, so you have to treat your baby like a queen, and she'll take care of you, assuming you have the experience to do so.

Listen dude...

A 250 will go very FAST but it doesn't accelerate as violently as a 600+. I think there is a valid argument between the 250 and 600 for first time riders. Both sides have valid points. Even though i'm not biased on either or I think it comes down to this.

If you "KNOW" that you can respect the power of a 600 (meaning you have a LOT of self control) then go for the 600. But do your self a HUGE favor and go to a motorcycle training class. It will SAVE your life. There is just shit you don't know without someone telling you like the road lines when wet, the oil in the middle of the road, when it starts to rain, etc, etc.

If you "THINK" that you can "RESPECT" the power of a 600 (but you have a tendency to go with the adrenaline rush) then go for the 250. This is only for the first summer.

What he said.....

The Hyosung GT250r is a good looking 250 for people that are turned off by the looks of most "starter bikes" and they can be found used with low miles for around $2500.

0189152008hyosunggt.jpg

Can second the BC motorcycle license being retarded. I see people getting their license all the time and they have to wear a reflective vests be folllowed and led by cars and go like 10km hr. God I feel sorry for them.

good post.

My concern with bikes is the same most ppl share. Car drivers not paying attention...

Can second the BC motorcycle license being retarded. I see people getting their license all the time and they have to wear a reflective vests be folllowed and led by cars and go like 10km hr. God I feel sorry for them.

I got my license in BC... but it was easy when I did none of that novice bullshit... the figure 8's were FUCKED up though...

Other drivers are ALWAYS idiots. They are dangerous when you are on or off a bike.

The best thing you can do is forget about looking "cool" and make sure your LIGHTS are working and bright (stock are usually best unless you find a GOOD LED replacement kit). When you are stopped at a light and you see a car approaching behind you that has not NOTICED you, pull and release your front brake leaver a few times to flash your tail light until the driver makes eye contact. You stand a much better chance of not having an incident.

You will learn this at a course but you practically need eyes in the back of your head. Basically a LOT of shoulder checks, when you get really comfortable you can even twist enough to see what's behind you. Don't rely on your signal lights (they suck), arm signals are the best policy.

Look I've lost friends on bikes, I've also had a lot of fun on bikes.

Don't get a 250 man you really will get bored of it in like a month and the rear tire is super skinny so less fun on the curvy's.

My advice, get a 06 or newer cbr600rr. the F4I's suck. Great bikes man, still can get, amazing around the corners and definitely leaves a snail trail of wet pussy when you take a girl for a ride ;)

The only thing, be prepared to go down. Everyone does. Every single person I know that rides has gone down. It's gonna happen. Most everyone I know it has been minor wrecks, so you should be alright. They're lots of fun man especially when you start group riding.

Check mine out.
30643_389476320974_552815974_4109895_1587952_n.jpg

Don't get a 250 man you really will get bored of it in like a month and the rear tire is super skinny so less fun on the curvy's.

My advice, get a 06 or newer cbr600rr. the F4I's suck. Great bikes man, still can get, amazing around the corners and definitely leaves a snail trail of wet pussy when you take a girl for a ride ;)

The only thing, be prepared to go down. Everyone does. Every single person I know that rides has gone down. It's gonna happen. Most everyone I know it has been minor wrecks, so you should be alright. They're lots of fun man especially when you start group riding.

Check mine out.
30643_389476320974_552815974_4109895_1587952_n.jpg

Nice bike man. LOL at the puss trail. I'm still warming my wife up to the idea of me getting a bike. She actually seems kinda interested. I want to thank everybody for their input on here. I think I'm definitely going with a 600. I want to take the bike up to Norwalk Racetrack and get on it.