The Art of Domaining - The Definitive Success Guide

1/ Where does most of your profit come from; Is it from buying and monetizing dropped/ expired domains?

Or do you register new domains which you think will receive type- in traffic?

Largest of "my profits" come from flipping sites and selling domains. Though lately my Parking revenue has also been picking up.

2/ Do you value domains based on their link popularity and their type-in traffic?

Or do you value domains based on their Alexa traffic rank and target market (eg. teens, tweens, girls, boys, males 18- 45, women ) ?

Traffic and Branding Value.

3/ Do you mostly buy and sell your domain names for profit OR do you buy and monetize (park, adsense for domains, develop a website) your domains for profit?

Mostly I buy and sell them.

Another quick question if I may.

How long after you have set up a domain (one that already has some traffic) to point to one of the parking services do you wait before you should start seeing clicks?

What I mean is, if you were testing one domain parked on Sedo and then wanted to see if Namdrive was any better, how long would you test for?

Thanks

Another quick question if I may.

How long after you have set up a domain (one that already has some traffic) to point to one of the parking services do you wait before you should start seeing clicks?

What I mean is, if you were testing one domain parked on Sedo and then wanted to see if Namdrive was any better, how long would you test for?

Thanks
I will see the ctr on the same amount of traffic. Best would be 4-7 days.

What are some comon typos

OK I got some stupid questions. I lots of experience on Ebay & aff and stuff but my dream is master this domaining stuff ( I just love the Idea of it ). My question is the typo stuff. How do you know what the comon ones are and I googled and searched forever but the best I could find is a suggestion to try some different typos in google and see who has the most results and those with the most results in google are the most likely. However I know guys purposely do typo in order to get traffic to their website. So that might not be as good an Idea as it seems on the surface. My question is how do you go about finding the typo stuff and bad spellers like me? Gr8t post BTW and I am glued to my seat. Just a beginner but I pick up things fast.

OK I got some stupid questions. I lots of experience on Ebay & aff and stuff but my dream is master this domaining stuff ( I just love the Idea of it ). My question is the typo stuff. How do you know what the comon ones are and I googled and searched forever but the best I could find is a suggestion to try some different typos in google and see who has the most results and those with the most results in google are the most likely. However I know guys purposely do typo in order to get traffic to their website. So that might not be as good an Idea as it seems on the surface. My question is how do you go about finding the typo stuff and bad spellers like me? Gr8t post BTW and I am glued to my seat. Just a beginner but I pick up things fast.

ummm, your question hurt my head, and Im not even sure this is what ur asking. buuuttt, I use SEObook's typo generator + any website that produces traffic for my misspelling domains. Some of them might be trademarks but shit happens, just give it up if they ask or get a lawyer.
If you were asking where to find popular sites to get typos off, just fucking search.
Alexa top websites
PC mags top 100s
Time magazines top 50 <(From 2006)
all on the first page of google for (top websites)

And it goes further into niche research for me. If I'm looking at competition for a certain niche and somebody is ruling ass, my first step is to register there typo domains if it looks good.
just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Hey Brar just wondering if you have any experience with (.com au & .net au)'s
as ive been finding some good ones just wanted to know if they are good sellers aswell

ps to mods sorry if this is a double post but my previous post didnt go thru?

Hey Brar just wondering if you have any experience with (.com au & .net au)'s
as ive been finding some good ones just wanted to know if they are good sellers aswell

Yeah sure -- .com.au ccTLD has no reseller market as of now because to register one you need to be a registered company in Australia. So if you are targeting local aussie market, you might get active into it. .ca ccTLD is getting more and more active and only canadians can play in the field.

So while you may not be able to compete with .com and other internationally open TLDs but that might be a very good thing -- for as and when Australia opens up its TLD to the world, you might make a killing. =)

ps to mods sorry if this is a double post but my previous post didnt go thru?

Posts from those new to the forum are moderated. I had to approve your post manually. =)

Hey, Im really interested in getting to know more about the domaining..
I currently have my own dedicated server. If i were to register a bunch of domain names, could i park them on my own server? Or would that be a bad idea.

Hey, Im really interested in getting to know more about the domaining..
I currently have my own dedicated server. If i were to register a bunch of domain names, could i park them on my own server? Or would that be a bad idea.
See, the objective of parking is to make sure that you earn some revenue from the domains that you have not developed.

There is no doubt that maximizing the best way to maximize the potential of your domain is to develop it. However, if you don't have the time to develop it then the best way is to redirect the traffic coming to domain to page where you show ads and can earn some money from them.

If you want to park them to your own server, you can have MFA sites or mini sites. But for that you will need to invest time and effort. If you can, by any means go for it -- it is far more profitable than sending traffic to SEDO, NameDrive or Bodis. =)

Say you bought example.com a few years ago and then recently a company buys the trademark for example.com will they just be able to take your domain? If this is possible, you could make good money buying trademarks on highly trafficked websites that are not currently trademarked.

If the domain is registered before the trademark, you are clear.
Not necessary, it depends on how you are using the domain now. If you are tying to commercialize on the trademark, you could be in trouble.

The only reason why nissan.com guy got in hot waters and weakened his case was because he was displaying ads for car dealerships on his computer sites. Good that he took it down very soon but he has still weakened his case.

When it comes to acquiring domains

If any of you want to try webmasterbenefits.com I have some invites for comp memberships to share.

There's a lot of stuff in there, but the deleted/expired tools are what I find useful.

PM me and I will send you a comp til they run out.

Hey Lord Brar,

Looking for a little advice, any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

I currently have about 75 domains, some of which i am developing into sites, most of which i am reselling. I currently have them parked with sedo and suffice it to say i am not pleased with them so far. I have a fair number of REALLY good domains, we are talking 4-5 figures easy, yet they have turned down every application i have sent in for top domain listing and premium auction. I have even gone so far as to set the reserves RIDICULOUSLY low (less than 10% of appraisal value.)

I have them listed with Moniker.com as well (although they are not my registrar)
And i am thinking about applying for the T.R.A.F.F.I.C show in orlando but after reading their exclusive right to sell agreement i am not so sure. Their is some bullshit clause in there about how the appointed agent can buy the domain from you for your minimum reserve price and then sell it to someone else for a gazillion times more. The catch 22 is if you set your reserve at a price too high, they won't select your domain for the show.

So my question is, where can i get the publicity i need in order to sell my domains at market value? It seems i am trying everything and taking all the right steps but somehow i am missing a piece...

Any help would be much appreciated.

I know this is an old post but this technique has usually worked well for me.

1. Open Excel, Notepad or any text editor
2. Type the domain or term your targeting at least 100 times as quickly as possible (1 entry per line)
3. Don't worry about mistakes, that's the whole point. Just keep typing as quickly as possible.
4. When finished, scan through the resuts to determine which typos occured with the greatest frequency. (This is much easier with Excel using the sort feature)
5. Target the most frequent typos. Pretty simple really.