The Art of Domaining - The Definitive Success Guide

Q: WHEN PARKING DOMAINS, DO YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR OWN HOSTING, OR JUST A DOMAIN AND MONEY?

Unless you are planing to have/design your own parking pages, or promote the domains via pages you've designed, for example for SEO, you don't need to have a host. You will be parking your domains with domain parking providers.

how many domains do i need to register with moniker to get discounts? and how much is the discount?

It isn't based on how many domains you have. You can get wholesale pricing based on the amount of cash you pre-fund your account with. The more you pre-fund, the better the discount. Your discount will apply to domains and most of their other products/services. Standard pre-funding amounts are $50, $100, $200, $500 and $1000. Get more info by logging into your account and clicking on the Fund Account link in the second row of the menu bar.

does anyone know what cms godaddy runs on? because i saw couple similar cms on other domain websites.

thanks Lord B. this has given me a few tricks to put down with some of my pages. also read your blog post about domaining which i thought was even better.

A friend has a domain that coincedentally is the brand name of a product of a major company. He used to consult under the name, but recently he's just used it to host family photos, etc. At the moment, it's not clear if the product brand name preceeded his registering the domain, or not. It certainly wasn't a prominant brand, if it existed then.

So, since he's now getting type-in traffic for the brand name, which is how he noticed the product brand name in the first place, he's wondering if he could sell it for an interesting sum.

It seems that the product company would want it the most. But if he tries to contact them directly, they may automatically feel he's trying to shake them down. This guy is not like that - but isn't into giving stuff away just to be nice, either. How should he best proceed?

I was hoping to just send him a link to an article or post about how to proceed, but I haven't found one that directly covers this type of situation.

A friend has a domain that coincedentally is the brand name of a product of a major company. He used to consult under the name, but recently he's just used it to host family photos, etc. At the moment, it's not clear if the product brand name preceeded his registering the domain, or not. It certainly wasn't a prominant brand, if it existed then.

So, since he's now getting type-in traffic for the brand name, which is how he noticed the product brand name in the first place, he's wondering if he could sell it for an interesting sum.

It seems that the product company would want it the most. But if he tries to contact them directly, they may automatically feel he's trying to shake them down. This guy is not like that - but isn't into giving stuff away just to be nice, either. How should he best proceed?

I was hoping to just send him a link to an article or post about how to proceed, but I haven't found one that directly covers this type of situation.

Has he owned the domain longer than the company has been around? From what you say is on the domain/site right now he may be safe. Surely keep the family photos/personal type of site on it and keep from monetizing the traffic until you decide what to do with the domain.

At this point, it would probably be much more reasonable for these guys to buy it off of your buddy for and "interesting sum" than paying a lawyer to possibly sue... not to mention it doesn't seem like the owner of the .com has tried to profit at all from the companies name.

Stupid question maybe but has this company trademarked this term?

Has he owned the domain longer than the company has been around?

No, but probably longer than the brand has been around. The domain is the same as the name of a product, not the company.

From what you say is on the domain/site right now he may be safe. Surely keep the family photos/personal type of site on it and keep from monetizing the traffic until you decide what to do with the domain.

OK.

At this point, it would probably be much more reasonable for these guys to buy it off of your buddy for and "interesting sum" than paying a lawyer to possibly sue... not to mention it doesn't seem like the owner of the .com has tried to profit at all from the companies name.

Yes, but how to get their attention? They haven't approached him. Should he approach them? If so, how?

Stupid question maybe but has this company trademarked this term?

Probably

Guys, basically this all is a great stuff. I too was in same business years back (donno if today too).

But, I am in trouble due to one of my domains. http://www.googlewebstore.com/ ; yeah, it used Google Trademark with it. While a few days ago, i was having offer of $1k for this domain ( thinking why didn't i sold it ), now that Guy wont buy because he says its recession, blah, blah, blah..

Anywas, great to see that people do make lots of dollars using this industry :)

No, but probably longer than the brand has been around. The domain is the same as the name of a product, not the company.
This is to his advantage and based on this and the non-monetization of the domain, I believe he is in pretty safe waters..

Yes, but how to get their attention? They haven't approached him. Should he approach them? If so, how?
Maybe try this: Setup an email address with that domain name, see if any inquiries come into that email address regarding that product. If inquiries do come in regarding that product collect those emails. Either want to call this company (and speak to an online/marketing director) or email an appropriate address with that company and forwarded these inquiries. That company will see they are missing out on pre-qualified leads by not owning this domain.

He will want to be careful, but from the details you have provided it sounds like he may be in the clear to move ahead with pitching a sale.

Also, if he hasn't already be sure to do a little research about the company before making the pitch so you know how to handle a counter offer, question, etc...