How Hydra Affiliate Network Screwed Me Out Of $25,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly I have to agree with affiliatearmy on this one as well... I couldn't believe how fast the shaving got jacked up through multiple different offers I was running on different networks. I no longer run submits, but I most definitely agree that from an affiliate's perspective it can seem like whenever they feel like it, the shaver gets set to 11 and down goes your money.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the OP's troubles, and I do hope if you're going to ad:tech that you show up at their booth and demand an explanation. If possible, get someone to video it for posterity - or for the courtroom.

Good luck!

That'd be hilarious. Of course we know Hydra probably isn't going to post a response here. So go for it.

I had an advertiser cut me on Hydra for poor quality, but i got paid no problem. This story seems fishy. $25k is NOTHING for Hydra. Its a beast of a network. I doubt they would not pay if everything was legit. Don't just jump in and flame Hydra without knowing the facts for sure. Maybe hes just here to flame Hydra. He has provided no proof of anything.

Reactions: TheDean
Is there anything that can be done about this or should you just bend over and take the assraping?

I sent $1200 worth of leads one day to another affiliate company and the same shit happened to me.

The day before my am told me that "xxx offer on xxx platform is hot, you should run it". So i did.
I was still on monthly check payments with them and after playing the "oh but we have sent the check... didn't you get it?" game they said that the advertiser didn't pay them so they can't pay me.

And this was a popular dating offer, I didn't run any shady traffic, infact my AM recommended me to run that specific traffic source to that specific offer.

I had an advertiser cut me on Hydra for poor quality, but i got paid no problem. This story seems fishy. $25k is NOTHING for Hydra. Its a beast of a network. I doubt they would not pay if everything was legit. Don't just jump in and flame Hydra without knowing the facts for sure. Maybe hes just here to flame Hydra. He has provided no proof of anything.

Read the thread they have fucked over other affiliates like this before.

Read the thread they have fucked over other affiliates like this before.

i bet you if i say that any large network didn't pay me, 1000 peeps are gonna come out of the woodwork and join the flaming.

i bet you if i say that any large network didn't pay me, 1000 peeps are gonna come out of the woodwork and join the flaming.
If the OP is wrong then someone from Hydra should jump in, right?

From what I have read, nobody from Hydra has yet jumped in and given their side of the story. We all know that they read these boards...

That speaks for itself.

Speak up or shut the fuck up.

I can't possibly speak to the case in question, but I work with a group that does quite a bit of business through Hydra and they've always paid and have, a number of times, made good in cases where it was demonstrated that the advertiser was shaving. I haven't gotten an update on whether that has changed in the last month, though.

It might be worth noting, at this point, that Hydra recently went through a big personnel shakeup and that a number of key personnel left. Who knows how long that had been brewing and over what? Again, I have no knowledge of the events in question, but anyone who has been through network shakeups knows that quality of service can drop significantly during and after such events (I cite, again, Affiliate Fuel/Experian Interactive). Maybe it's a case where Six-Months-Ago-Hydra would have made good and the new Hydra is in disarray. Maybe it's not. That this might be tied together is something to consider, though.

It would be nice of them to address this on some level, I agree.

While that sucks, and I feel for you, collections is part of your business no? Also, I would imagine that any company who did due diligence in terms of running his / her company would build that into the rate structure and revenue model of his / her organization. While I understand your point, don't expect me to shed a tear.
No, I don't expect anyone to shed a tear. But when Jon claims that ALL networks are out to screw over the affiliates as soon as trouble arises with a merchant, I have no choice but to speak up because that is completely false. Frankly, I was pissed off because I've worked hard over these 5 years to make sure affiliates don't get fucked over and it felt like a slap in the face.

Ok, well...no one is talking about fraud here. If an affiliate is abiding by the terms of the offer, then the advertiser has an obligation to pay - AND THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM, NOT THE AFFILIATES.
I agree completely. When there's no fraud, I've eaten in the past. But we're talking about a specific clause being added to a contract that guarantees payment to an affiliate NO MATTER WHAT. I can't accept that because of the case of fraud. This is the same type of clause that you'd find in a loan contract. If your payment is late by one day, the bank reserves the right to repo your shit. Doesn't mean they will, but they have that right to protect themselves.

While I'm not denying culpability of the affiliate in this equation, but what the fuck are you here for then? Isn't a major part of your role to add value on both sides of the equation?

Be the exception, and stop passing the buck.
Who says I was passing the buck? The whole of my post explained why I couldn't accept guaranteeing payment in all cases because it left me open to paying for fraud.

Lets say you are buying traffic from google and spend 25k with them, you get ZERO conversions.

Are you going to say:

"hey google your traffic didnt convert for me, so I am not paying you"

Same thing...

Lets say you are buying traffic from google and spend 25k with them, you get ZERO conversions.

Are you going to say:

"hey google your traffic didnt convert for me, so I am not paying you"

Same thing...

This is one of the things i say to advertisers

No, I don't expect anyone to shed a tear. But when Jon claims that ALL networks are out to screw over the affiliates as soon as trouble arises with a merchant, I have no choice but to speak up because that is completely false. Frankly, I was pissed off because I've worked hard over these 5 years to make sure affiliates don't get fucked over and it felt like a slap in the face.

I agree completely. When there's no fraud, I've eaten in the past. But we're talking about a specific clause being added to a contract that guarantees payment to an affiliate NO MATTER WHAT. I can't accept that because of the case of fraud. This is the same type of clause that you'd find in a loan contract. If your payment is late by one day, the bank reserves the right to repo your shit. Doesn't mean they will, but they have that right to protect themselves.
I think the issue is that we exist without any of that protection. Even networks that really look out for people...there's big issues.
It doesn't always happen through direct non-payment.
True.com for example, has a 60%+ scrub that doesn't appear to be based on lead quality. That's exactly equal to not paying for 60-70%+ of leads(since there's no real criteria).
These offers exist everywhere that I've ever seen.
Who says I was passing the buck? The whole of my post explained why I couldn't accept guaranteeing payment in all cases because it left me open to paying for fraud.
I can agree that you need to not have to pay for fraud, but there really needs to be some degree of protection built in on our end.

So why not create an exception for fraudulent traffic? Just saying even if the advertiser doesn't pay, we get paid so long as no fraud was involved?

By not really auditing merchants, and not really going after them, networks create a situation where of course they're going to get shit traffic.
When you're not sure you're going to get paid, or are unsure about how many of your leads are going to actually show up, it means people can't afford the good traffic.

Beyond that, after I've been soundly fucked by (even a good) network a couple times, I'll admit I don't care nearly as much about the quality I send them.

I'm confused, there's so many people coming out to say hydra sucks yet in our "which is your favorite network" thread, they are second place. All these people thought it was the absolute best network to pick out of all the others,

Hydra 070707, 650A'sFan, amjonathan, Armakuni, astone, barman, bassmaan, bigmanoren, cherry_yuya, cmwoog, david_101, dealasite, dhawan0u, dien_08, dosedtoaster, eboogyman, excelerent, Flyboy, gates17, genchev, Gibster, Hamza, harry1970, hchi001, HydraJaredK, ianternet, jbartinla, jeanpaul1979, jeff5311, jeremy217, jimboone, JonathanAzoogle, joserivers, Julienh, KGL, kingrage, letoutpuissant, libertygone, Machine, MCRunning, mediasup, metsguy, MiKiMe, Mix Tone Guy, montecarlo, narsticle, neo22, neon-punk, nessy111, nickthrolson, nimar, ninjashadow007, ohmichea, PeerFly, penguinbc, Pr0xyhub, primusstar, prosumer, Radar, rainman27, robbro, scout24, sgtryan, sinack, Spades, stoxup, sweepsmaster, sweetweb, TFLNetwork, TheDean, tihomir, tw0manri0t, TyphoonBlogger, unfadable858, washoutinc, WesMahler, Wicked_Mindz03, wicks, Work Plus Faith, Xenon, Yaxxx, zviruga

I only recognize about 1/3 of those posters though.. different people, different experience I guess..

You know you can hire a lawyer on contingency for like 50% of the winnings. If you lose you owe nothing. Not all lawyers have work and make bank. Most make 50-60k a year.

You know you can hire a lawyer on contingency for like 50% of the winnings. If you lose you owe nothing. Not all lawyers have work and make bank. Most make 50-60k a year.

Clearly you have no idea what you are taking about.

Most lawyers only work on contingency if you are suing an insurance company or there is a potential for an insurance company to payout.

For commercial disputes they *RARELY* work on contingency. I've worked with many law firms and lawyers. I've even been sued by Myspace. So I know a thing or two about this stuff.

I think the OP should consider taking litigation into consideration. Presently there is a U.S. bank who shall remain nameless who shut down one of our merchant accounts + bank accounts and took a 6 figure sum of money along with it. The contractual agreement allows them to hold this sum of money for up to a year but they must release it after that point. Our legal counsel reviewed the contract and made this determination.

This time period is about to pass soon, and if they don't release the funds we will litigate. Never roll over!

OP if you need a good California attorney, PM me and I will get you in touch with our guy.

I know nothing about Hydra but I can say that I was sending a lot of traffic to Quality Health on C2M before zip and emails where cut. Quality Health refused to pay C2M but Ruck Still paid me out.

Bottom Line Quality health sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.