wtf is the difference between house, trance, dubstep, etc?

trance is shit for euro tweens who just ate their first pill. dubstep is generally for poor people who wear hoodies and smoke blunts. house is party music for people on drugs. ;)

f*ck that, that is the worst answer to that question. the music has nothing to do with who the people that listen to it are. you are retarded if you actually think that. Dubstep has distorted bass synth with a lot of random heavy sounds going on. house is repetitive pop with mediocre hooks for guido fist pumpers.

F6rHa.jpg

dubstep sucks

Simply put dub step sucks - Listen to house,trance, & techno...

Dom Mazzetti Explains it best:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCIBksDfxBU]Dom Mazzetti vs. Dubstep - YouTube[/ame]

Anybody else going to UMF 2012?

I'm not sure whats with all the hate on dubstep. The reason its getting more popular in the electronic genre is they are actually making dubstep music (mostly in the UK) that you can listen to when you are not on ketamine

on ketamine is the *only* way to listen to dubstep, preferably an overdose

-p

f*ck that, that is the worst answer to that question. the music has nothing to do with who the people that listen to it are. you are retarded if you actually think that. Dubstep has distorted bass synth with a lot of random heavy sounds going on. house is repetitive pop with mediocre hooks for guido fist pumpers.

then you haven't heard any good house or been to any decent house clubs

-p

Most people don't even know what dubstep is, they think Skrillex and Excision are dubstep.

Dubstep goes way back, and is basically just Reggae with electronic / synth sounds.

To be honest, i prefer newer dubstep to older stuff, mainly because i've played the Synth for almost 20 years and i can relate to a lot of the sounds. I also like Trance, House, and pretty much any other genre of music if it sounds good to me, i listen to it.

Theres no point arguing 'which is better' though, as music is simply a case of personal taste, nothing more. It's like arguiing that blue is a better colour than red....

fucking love this tune, this thread seems like a good place to park it

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCzJQRVbWtE]Burial & Four Tet - Moth - YouTube[/ame]

@op:

it's a bit difficult to explain without oversimplifying, but a simplistic explanation is better than no explanation at all. this assumes you know basic music theory and know how to count a 4/4

club techno: four on the floor beat, no off-beat fill-ins. basically, a kick every time you count a 4/4. about 120-140 bpm in current use. i find it boring and primitive.
trance: club techno + spacy sounding shit, even worse than the above. can't stand it, so no elaborate explanation
house: four on the floor with off-beat fill-ins. tons of sub-genres for every taste, from disco and vocal house to deep house and minimal house. typically 100 bpm to 140 bmp (tech-house being on the top end of the range, old school stuff toward the bottom end). my personal favourite when clubbing, although the stuff currently getting played in the us is shit. you can't get what house is about unless you've experienced it live, with the right dj playing the right set on a great sound system with the right people next to you and right in front of the speakers, it's the musical equivalent of mainlining serotonin
dubstep: dont even want to talk about it
spiral/acid/hc tekno: 200bpm+, basically electronic music's answer to serious classical music. must be experienced, serious acid dropping required initially for full understanding of its awesomeness - an unaltered human mind is incapable of processing it properly. once you grok it, you can go straightedge if you like. best experienced at an illegal party i catacombs/abandoned nuclear silos/abandoned factories or military bases etc. complete darkness, one strobe light and 10kw+ of sound from a sound system that shakes the ground a mile away. not for the weak of heart as you might have to fight the riot police, especially towards the end of a big festival

-p

YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE! I LISTEN TO TRANCE AND HOUSE 24/7.
Dubstep fucking sucks in my opinion, it's a genre like papajohns said that hipsters have made popular since it was so shitty. Drum n Bass is way better than dubstep.
I listen to alot of old house though like 70s-2000 and new of course.

IMO Disco is what started the house genre then it was evolved into house in the early 80s. I like trance alot too, my alltime favorite is Paul Oakenfold.

Netphase is on the right track. If you really want to get a feel for it download itunes then go to Radio>Electronica then pick your station. My favorite station is Dogglounge or Dogghouse I forgot at the moment but it starts with Dogg.

I don't get tired of trance or house. DnB gets kind of repetitive after like 20-30 minutes and dubstep is just god damn annoying. I listen to alot of rave and techno too. I don't like industrial at all and some happycore ain't that bad either.

I listen to a fuckton of electronic music period rofl

Gotta disagree with you on this.

I think Disco has nothing to do with house, electronica, or any of the similar genres of music you hear today.

Disco was created by talented musicians and features real music, not music generated from a computer. Songs had soul. The music CAME from somewhere deep down. And even though they all had a disco beat you could dance to, songs also had their own structure unlike all this stuff today which basically sounds the same as the last song you heard and is created by anyone with a Mac and the needed software.

I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to the club music of today as I have no respect for the people who create the music, nor can I relate to it on any level.

Just different degrees of faggotry with trance and house fighting hard for first place.

you talk about faggotry as if it's a bad thing ;) people who call an inadequately enjoyable party 'gay' have clearly never been to an actual gay party. all this american homophobia is quite silly imo. i say this as a straight guy who thinks queers are a lot of fun, throw amazing parties and play good house

-p

Last edited:
Most people don't even know what dubstep is, they think Skrillex and Excision are dubstep.

Dubstep goes way back, and is basically just Reggae with electronic / synth sounds.

To be honest, i prefer newer dubstep to older stuff, mainly because i've played the Synth for almost 20 years and i can relate to a lot of the sounds. I also like Trance, House, and pretty much any other genre of music if it sounds good to me, i listen to it.

Theres no point arguing 'which is better' though, as music is simply a case of personal taste, nothing more. It's like arguiing that blue is a better colour than red....

i'm sorry, but you cant give me a super-long breakdown with 0 payoff ala dubstep and expect me to enjoy it. yes, there's room for variation in taste, but there's a difference between using a different sauce for steak (different people like different sauces) and showing someone a picture of a streak and then saying 'fuck off, you aint getting one'

-p

Gotta disagree with you on this.

I think Disco has nothing to do with house, electronica, or any of the similar genres of music you hear today.

Disco was created by talented musicians and features real music, not music generated from a computer. Songs had soul. The music CAME from somewhere deep down. And even though they all had a disco beat you could dance to, songs also had their own structure unlike all this stuff today which basically sounds the same as the last song you heard and is created by anyone with a Mac and the needed software.

I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to the club music of today as I have no respect for the people who create the music, nor can I relate to it on any level.

from a historical perspective, disco had a massive influence on house, both musically and in terms of production techniques. there were quite a few disco tracks with electronic components and even some all-electronic ones including a few hits. disco producers certainly didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

secondly, you most certainly couldn't have heard good classic disco house or you wouldn't hold the opinion you do. a lot of it uses no artificial sounds, there are plenty of original vocals *and* sampling the classics and they're certainly not monotonous or without structure. above all, they *do* touch your soul in the same way disco did and, depending on the person, often even more.

-p

someone say gay disco? love that shit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5306HPiA-EI]soho808 - Get Up Disco [Dikso 004] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzbZnPrTsQ]6th Borough Project - Hang On - YouTube[/ame]

someone say gay disco? love that shit.

i'd say the first one is too slow for me to consider it house, i'd call it chillout personally. second one is borderline. i would deffo enjoy hearing both in a chillout room though

-p