Why are people trying to avoid carbs?

I think a healthy number of opinions have been voiced about this. One thing I'd say about this is to not lose site of the whole: there are also fats and proteins to consider.

One thing I will say is that a key concept here is how fast carbs are absorbed into the blood stream (broken down into simple sugars).

The key issue with some carbs is that they're metabolized too quickly (absorbed too quickly).

if you eat good fats with your carbs (I like to put lots of butter on muffins when I have them), the fat will slow the absorption of carbs into the bloodstream.

Another thing to keep in mind is fiber. A lot of people try to avoid fruits, but fruits and have fiber, which helps with the absorption of those carbs into the bloodstream. Just because fruits have simple sugars doesn't mean they're as bad as table sugar, which has virtually no fiber at all.

Last edited:

The only carbs you should be eating should come from vegetables and fruit. Your body runs a lot better using fat for fuel then caarbohydrates

I was just about to say this. Carbs aren't bad when they are not from processed crap. Just eat ~100g of green salad with each meal and you have everything you need. And greens have enzymes that will help your intestines to process the meat more efficiently so you want to eat them just because of that too.

Lot of retardation in this thread.

The only carbs you should be eating should come from vegetables and fruit. Your body runs a lot better using fat for fuel then caarbohydrates

r/keto

yup. since i started paleo, my carbs come from rice, potatoes and of course other vegetables. and i eat lots of fat, butter, avocado and olive/coconut oil.

it's a shift you should make since everyone always thought fat is bad, and there is much more to it, but when you get used to it you can't go back eating all the junk you did before.

people are suckers for fads... And most people are too lazy to do the due diligence and actually research things. Many see weight loss, and jump right on it.

people are trying to avoid carbs in an attempt to lose weight. kinda surprises me how much trouble some people have w losing and keeping weight off. 2.5 yrs ago i was 245, today 200. i work out lifting weights for an hour 4-5 days a week, no cardio at all, but i had been doing that for several years and not lost weight. i attribute the weight loss over the last few yrs primarily to 2 things...i eat smaller portions and i take a 50 billion count probiotic once daily after dinner. in terms of smaller portions i mean that if i'm eating pizza, instead of eating 6 pieces i'll eat 2 pieces and some salad. eating a little less made me hungry more often for about 2 months or so but after that it feels as though my stomach has adjusted and now i simply don't want to eat that much food. when u can get to that point, you'll start dropping weight.

Carbs help you brain function and the news and film industry are supporting this.

I know this video is long, but Tim Ferriss made a post on his blog about it a while back here, if you are interested in preventing cancer and other diseases like Alzheimer's, getting shredded, and actually improving brain function, watch this video...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8[/ame]

People with diabetes should try to eat a healthy, balanced diet as shown in the eat well guide. They should also include higher fiber starchy foods at every meal. Weight loss from a low carbohydrate diet may be because of a reduced intake of calories overall and not specifically as a result of eating less carbohydrate.