What kind of cash do people start with?

I started with 17k in student loan debt. That was after working 2-3 jobs the whole time I was in school so I could only owe 17k. No credit card debt though.

For ppc, that was started with about $1700 left in the business account after the decision was made to never again take on client work.

To clear something up, its not £20 a month Buxtonlove is paying a month for hosting, its $20 (dollars).... which is about £12 (gbp).

I know, because i referred him.

I know he can get get cheaper hosting elsewhere, and i told him that, but the reason he went with who i'm with is so i can show him the ropes and its just a lot easer to show him how to setup things like wordpress, new domain zones if all he has to do is follow my exact instructions.

He has basically unlimited bandwidth and disk space, and theres no reason he cant get 50 or so small low traffic niche sites on there, for £12 / mo thats not too bad.

I'm sure once he learns the ropes etc he'll start to make his own hosting choices etc, but what he's on will certainly do him for now.

lol i also made my first website when I was 12, except I was too broke for a domain

geocities FTW

lol I was on expage when I was 9 (for a hobby site), and then I switched to freewebs when I decided to try to make money. I could afford the $9.95 for a domain, but I couldn't afford hosting to go with it.

I was 7 years old when I created my first webpage on my moms computer and sold it to a local plumbing company for $35. I felt on top of the world. went out and bought a pack of topps football cards and OJ simpson was in there. the following year OJ won the heisman trophy and the card trippled in value.

I still got the OJ card today and its worth more then my house.

Yes, domain name and hosting is all you need to set up a blog. As someone else said, you do have a choice of whether to outsource or do the work yourself. Some technical, web-set up or design jobs can be easily and cheaply done by people on Odesk for example.

I was 7 years old when I created my first webpage on my moms computer and sold it to a local plumbing company for $35. I felt on top of the world. went out and bought a pack of topps football cards and OJ simpson was in there. the following year OJ won the heisman trophy and the card trippled in value.

^LOL! ME TOO! What a Coincidence... All 1968 Webmasters Represent!

Was 9 and had my site on Angelfire, no bull shittin'. Also had banners on my site which was clocking like 1,000-2,000 hits a month, got paid per click. Made like no real scrilla but was a great experience.
So, was this like last year, or was it really 15 years ago, and you still live in a trailer park with all that experience? ;)

I must add, I don't mind gambling

I still don't think you understand the difference.

As others have said in this thread, entrepreneurship is not gambling.

If you place a bet on a roulette table, the results of that bet have no relation to the next bet you place. In other words, the knowledge you gain from the results of your bet can not be used to help improve your chances of winning your next bet.

But if you spent $200 on Facebook advertising, even if it's a complete failure and you gain no financial benefit, the knowledge you gained can be used to benefit you next campaign.

Nah, $0.40 haha, promoting dating. I've considered going into a higher payout niche though, my click prices stay roughly the same whatever the niche.

paying 10 cents a click for dating demos is sick, even if its super targeted, the question is how much can you scale?