What kind of cash do people start with?

1000$ on the tools sounds about right..

and then you can see how much you're doing to spend on web development and content writing etc.

I started with $8 for my first .com, and $4/mo hosting at Hostgator. I now own 57 domains and pay $130/mo for web hosting. I went into this knowing a thing or two about website development, so implementing some money making tactics was relatively easy for me. Like others mentioned in this thread I started way back in the geocities day just fucking around with random websites, but it gave me a good grounding for the stuff I am now doing.

I'm not a gambler and I don't like the idea of throwing money into an empty venture. Sure I've been reading some people on here who earn big and I want that, eventually, I get there's no easy to do this and I'm not looking to take the easy route. I guess I'm just looking to save money.

First step, totally change your attitude or this isn't the business for you... if you equate entrepreneurship with gambling then go get a normal job.

As other people have said, the amount you need to get started depends entirely upon the methods you will be using. If you're talking PPC you will probably want somewhere between 1k to 2k which you are willing to possibly lose a good portion of.

I started with nuts and goal! :D

I used "do it everything by my own" approach at the very beginning so I bought hosting and domains.

I had almost no idea how the thing works, just tested many link building strategies, had different success. Tried social networks and much much more.

Now I am slowly turning into investor/developer. Buying, developing and flipping or holding for a while if I believe on this project in long term. Living on profit margin, not taking all the profit while I was doing everything by myself.

But if you plan to start affiliate site, you really don't need much money to start, buy you need goal and motivation!

opengear-one-million-dollars.jpg
dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

The easiest way to make a Million Dolars is to start with a Million DOllars. You can never go wrong... At least in the beginning.

I think you are better off spending TIME learning how to build sites and market them. Do tons of reading on quality sites like SEO Software. Simplified. | SEOmoz and ø Blue Hat SEO-Advanced SEO Tactics ø and like G said above start doing alot of link-building and other task by hand to understand what is involved. That will help you in the future when you are ready to outsource.

As for me, I started out with a couple thousand, but I blew alot of that trying to mess around with Adwords. SEO sites can be done for next to nothing. You just need time, patience and persistence.

Thanks guys there's a lot of great info here that will help me out.

I must add, I don't mind gambling, its just that I have very little cash to gamble with and anything lost is epic to my finances right now. So don't get me wrong on that, I've just forked out £120 for hosting and already have three domains, thats just the start and I want to spend loads more... I guess I'm just worried that I'm gonna fail at this, but we all go through that I suppose.

Cheers.

So don't get me wrong on that, I've just forked out £120 for hosting ....

Wait. WHAT. How the FUCK did you just spend 120 on hosting? You can get a shared hosting account for, like, 15 bucks a year.

notsureifserious.jpg

Wait. WHAT. How the FUCK did you just spend 120 on hosting? You can get a shared hosting account for, like, 15 bucks a year.

notsureifserious.jpg

Well, I was given advice by a good friend and spent what I spent based on the amount of domains I could host. As said I'm so new to this World but judging by the comments made this isn't the natural method for hosting?

There is many option to take into consideration while you chose hosting account. But if this is shared hosting and you are hosting 10 websites that has less than 10 000 a day and you have paid for maximum a year, you have paid too much.
Well, I was given advice by a good friend and spent what I spent based on the amount of domains I could host. As said I'm so new to this World but judging by the comments made this isn't the natural method for hosting?

I see what your saying, $15 a month. I'm paying £20 a month which isn't as bad as it sounds really. I can get upto 40 domains on this account which is okay right?

I see what your saying, $15 a month. I'm paying £20 a month which isn't as bad as it sounds really. I can get upto 40 domains on this account which is okay right?

Oh, okay. You made it sound like you were paying 120 A MONTH for hosting. My bad. 20e isn't bad, but you can still go way cheaper than that with a lot of addons and more than enough bandwidth.