RIP Robin Williams

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted. Suicide becomes an real option when the pain of life is greater than the joy of life on a long term basis - it's as simple as that. This definitely can be done w/out chemical/mental 'illness'.. and it can happen to anyone because of many many different reasons.

Do you really think that something like a divorce (or pick any of life's hardships for that matter) will drive someone who's in perfect mental health to kill themselves?

and this guy... is talented man who made the world laugh.. winds up offing himself..

good riddance.

Are you serious? You can't understand why he maybe suffered from severe depression, or what? Look at the guy, his creativity and eccentricity are off the charts, and not only that, he was one of the rare ones who managed to turn that into greatness. You don't see how it would be difficult for someone like him to live in a world like this?

Suicide becomes an real option when the pain of life is greater than the joy of life on a long term basis - it's as simple as that.

Depression is most accurately summed up by the word "hopelessness". King did a great job at describing it in his post above.

This definitely can be done w/out chemical/mental 'illness'.. and it can happen to anyone because of many many different reasons.

There is no definitive answer to the question "what causes depression?". It's a question that we haven't been able to discover the answer to.

An "illness" is defined as "a disease or period of sickness affecting the body or mind".

Do you feel it is inaccurate to classify depression as a period of sickness affecting the body or mind?

If you're talking about depression you can't use the colloquial definition for illness.

Ie: Illness in this scenario would be an objective diagnosis based on a symptomatic profile, whereas sickness would be the patient's own interpretation of this illness and what it means for them in a psychosocial context.

There's a stark difference between the two and determining where one ends and the other begins is a major part of any research into mental illness.

Depression is an absolute monstrous bitch, though. RIP Robin.

Happiness is incredibly relative.

Do you really think that something like a divorce (or pick any of life's hardships for that matter) will drive someone who's in perfect mental health to kill themselves?

First, his quote basically said ANYONE who commits suicide has a mental illness.. so i wasn't even necessarily talking about RW.

But what is perfect mental health? Does anyone here have it? Do we let Phizer tell us what perfect mental health is.. or even what good mental health is?

I'm not saying he should be pitied for committing suicide or that he was justified. But I am saying it's his life and he can do whatever the fuck he wants with it and he doesn't have to justify it to anyone.

Yes, any of life's hardships (including divorce) could be the last straw for someone who feels like shit all the time physically or mentally. And not knowing the real situation I can only guess RW felt like shit all the time because of how high he got in the past from major drug usage.

Anyway, if there ever comes a time in my life when I feel pain much more than pleasure on a long term basis with very little hope of change I'll be checking out manually - no fucking question. I am guessing this could easily happen when I get old from illnesses etc.

If you're talking about depression you can't use the colloquial definition for illness.

Ie: Illness in this scenario would be an objective diagnosis based on a symptomatic profile, whereas sickness would be the patient's own interpretation of this illness and what it means for them in a psychosocial context.

There's a stark difference between the two and determining where one ends and the other begins is a major part of any research into mental illness.

Depression is an absolute monstrous bitch, though. RIP Robin.

Happiness is incredibly relative.

Good points, good post.

Here's the thing... the human brain is a complex thing. I've never known a single person who could be described as having perfect mental health. Everyone I've ever gotten to know well has some kind of hangups or issues, most of them are minor, but they're still there. For the majority of people these things don't effect their daily lives, so they remain functional productive members of society.

Also, I've known a number of guys who went to war with otherwise healthy minds and came back with PTSD and other issues. Events, hardships and trauma can damage a person.

Kiopa_Matt

wow my first dislike vote :) sorry to offend you.. I guess I should have disliked you also when you took my money for your software and left us hanging in the wind to dry. :)

thats ok.. I learn to stay away from vendors like yourself.

everyone has an opinion.. :)

we all have issues.. some worse.. some not so worse... my point is.. taking ones life is a cowards path.. pure and simple..

again to be so self absorbed in oneself.. would be the same as george reeves ( the original TV superman) to kill himself because he was typecast..

anyway.. good luck in your software ventures

Are you serious? You can't understand why he maybe suffered from severe depression, or what? Look at the guy, his creativity and eccentricity are off the charts, and not only that, he was one of the rare ones who managed to turn that into greatness. You don't see how it would be difficult for someone like him to live in a world like this?

my point is.. taking ones life is a cowards path.. pure and simple..

Such original thinking you got there.. definitely not regurgitated nonsense.

It's about as dumb as other over-used regurgitated nonsense phrases like 'All suicide bombers are cowards.' , 'All terrorists are cowards', etc etc. Suicide bombers are dumb but not cowards.

good point

Such original thinking you got there.. definitely not regurgitated nonsense.

It's about as dumb as other over-used regurgitated nonsense phrases like 'All suicide bombers are cowards.' , 'All terrorists are cowards', etc etc. Suicide bombers are dumb but not cowards.

CEOSam's statement:

Screen_Shot_2014_08_12_at_4_48_07_PM.png

I have always enjoyed Robin Williams work .. although I have no feelings for anyone that takes their own life.. if indeed this was the case.

how self absorbed to take ones own life.. with the resources he had..

how many people that have cancer or some other life threatening disease that are fighting to live..

or people that are dying around the world.. because of poverty

or people that have families and all they want to do is enjoy their familys but gets killed because of war or political bullshit.

the list could go on and on

and this guy... is talented man who made the world laugh.. winds up offing himself..

good riddance.

Fuck you. Negged.

RIP buddy.

For the longest time I thought suicide was the cowards way out, or somehow for "chicken shits" but the older I get the more the idea of going out on my own terms seems more appealing.

The man lived by his own terms and died by his own terms. That's how I want to live and die.

how self absorbed to ... find a thread where people are mourning the passing of someone who's entertained them for decades and to make it about you, your failed business dealings and your so brave opinions.

fixed that for you, dummy.