It's YOUR Business.

A great read. I make a fixed salary that isn't going anywhere soon, so I WILL do something about this. If I lose my regular paying job because of this, then so be it. I've tried. and you're damn right - it is my business. MINE.
Thanks for the post

Thank you very much for this post!! +Rep from me :)

I started less than a month ago after reading this post. Spent a whole week doing research (keywords, competitors, their backlinks, etc.), and since then have started on my site. Whenever I applied with the companies in my niche, I sent them jpegs of my site design (it isn't online yet). Today I got contacted by 2 of them, and even though the niche is quite strong, they offered to increase my commission substantially above their CJ quote...apparently because "they like my site design". Felt great considering the site isn't even online yet, and really keeps me motivated.

Anyway, enough brabbling...thanks again, great post that really helps noobs like me to get going :)

Great post. Definitely has some good information I plan to take into consideration.

Love this post, thanks for sharing. My problem is usually the opposite and I "do something!" too soon, jump in without really even understanding the basics, so I'm going to make a point of doing nothing but reading for 1 month, then do a whole lot of "something" better informed.

Good post here i quite agree with. When i was starting online as a beginner, i jumped from products to products trying to find the perfect route to making consistent income.

I like the fact that you made mention of sticking to one vertical before diversifying into many other niches. This is key online in order to be successful. So many distractions here and there of the latest hottest product launch offer. Many times, these so called hottest product in the IM niche are not really tailored towards a beginner and so dabbling into it will be a waste of money and time, becos you have to learn the ropes which might even cause you more money out of your pocket.

Before you know it, you're not making a dime and you're damn broke. It could be very frustrating if you're just starting out.

For me the #1 secret to a beginner's success online is building a list. Not just a list, but a profitable one.

The One Undercover Step You Must Take to Build HUGE, Highly Profitable Email Lists - FAST!
You can see it here How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Converting One-time Visitors To Hungry Buyers

Hope this helps! and thanks Mike for this post.

Lack of fundamental business building knowledge is really the primary cause for so much time wasting.
Take my word for it, I was there a couple of years ago and I was doing every thing wrong.
So many people run around online without any real structure or thought to what they want to achieve - spending a few hours surfing through forums, and then a few more looking at images on a site, checking emails, glance through an eBook etc etc etc…
But...
Just like in ANY business - on or off line - there is a PROCESS to success. And if you don't adopte the right mindset you are going to fail.

If you are anything like me - by far the biggest hurdle of wanting to create a successful web business - is knowing exactly what to do - and in what order.
In fact - having a lack of 'structure' was probably the biggest hurdle that I faced when I began online.

If I have any advice to give to you guys is " LEARN THE SKILLS "

If you feel that you would benefit from a 'step-by-step-what-to-do-next-do-this-do-that' plan then you are in the correct mindset and you WILL grow to success.

loved the sticky rant. when doing my research for launching my campaign i must have spent 3 weeks of solid reading that my head was spinning by the time i was done.
in the end i launched w/o really knowing where i'd be and a month later i can understand what is happening just by working in the trenches...

so the best advice i can give a newb besides the awsome sticky is do work and make IT happen

Great post, I'm fairly new and knew most/agree with everything you said but the links were pretty helpful.

This is a great post that needs to be read by newbies as well as many of those that have been doing this for a while.

Reminder: It's a BUSINESS... not the freakin lottery!

It's all our business, well said and personally i always recommend people to consider a business as your own business in order to run it smoothly with pace and sound and all the above said solutions are the best possible way to overcome the mistakes