It's YOUR Business.

Mike, can you provide us with a template of your spreadsheet? I am a little afriad of jumping into PPC campaigns because I may end up learning nothing from my my failures. What kinds of things should I be looking for? PPC, Impressions, CTR, conversion rate , expense, and revenue per keyword/ landing page?

I wish these bloggers were more specific about split testing. Do you split test keywords or landing pages or both? If you split test both, does that mean you need to create at least 4 different ads for one product? Also, how many keywords do you usually use per offer? I am so confused.. I wish there was some thread about this..

And regarding keyword research, is there any way I can learn how to do this by myself without using any programs? I really want to understand how to use the correct keywords inside and out, so I don't really like the idea of depending on software.

Lastly, I know a lot of people recommend different services, but what hosting domain do you recommend you use for landing pages?
thanks.

Mike, can you provide us with a template of your spreadsheet? I am a little afriad of jumping into PPC campaigns because I may end up learning nothing from my my failures. What kinds of things should I be looking for? PPC, Impressions, CTR, conversion rate , expense, and revenue per keyword/ landing page?

I wish these bloggers were more specific about split testing. Do you split test keywords or landing pages or both? If you split test both, does that mean you need to create at least 4 different ads for one product? Also, how many keywords do you usually use per offer? I am so confused.. I wish there was some thread about this..

And regarding keyword research, is there any way I can learn how to do this by myself without using any programs? I really want to understand how to use the correct keywords inside and out, so I don't really like the idea of depending on software.

Lastly, I know a lot of people recommend different services, but what hosting domain do you recommend you use for landing pages?
thanks.

Dude, you're about to get lambasted. Everything you just asked is freely available just by using the search function. Just don't use Godaddy for your hosting, it's shitty.

Dude, you're about to get lambasted. Everything you just asked is freely available just by using the search function. Just don't use Godaddy for your hosting, it's shitty.

LOL!

Yeah, I'll be nice because this is the n00bie section, but there is one of my spreadsheets in the "Like Math" thread. The other spreadsheet templates I use are all proprietary information (read: made by me for ME) and I'm not sharing them with anyone.

Tit shots will get you stats from converting campaigns!

Here's a picture of me at the beach. I love laying out and getting a tan ;) My nipples are huge... he he he

/really? Read the Rules of Engagement #11 boobs go in StS. Only warning. ~Mike~/

I'll contact you via PM to give you my email addy so you can send over those stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really great post, +rep.
And definitely should be sticky or added to the Treasure Trove.

Awesome fucking post Mike! Bookmarked for those "I don't know if I can make it" thoughts that enter my head every so often. It really speaks volumes to your character, if you think about it. You're helping your competition. Now granted, a good majority of people reading this won't come close to impacting your business, and there is enough out there for a lot of marketers, but still. Very generous of you. Again, excellent post!

Thanks guys, I'm glad my little rant is helping a few of you out. :D

I stickied it due to demand. Kind of surprised actually, this was one of those posts that was written almost out of frustration. It's odd to get to a certain point and be able to see the mistakes people are making, and frustrating to know you can't help everyone.

@JarredLv: I don't see it as helping the competition exactly. Anytime I can help newbies out, I feel like I'm paying back the people that helped me get started. This business certainly is not an easy one, and will bury 80 - 90% of people that start it. I was lucky and got a lot of advice and help when I started out, and I feel indebted to those people to return the favor.

@JarredLv: I don't see it as helping the competition exactly. Anytime I can help newbies out, I feel like I'm paying back the people that helped me get started. This business certainly is not an easy one, and will bury 80 - 90% of people that start it. I was lucky and got a lot of advice and help when I started out, and I feel indebted to those people to return the favor.

Well then, this forum, and more importantly us newbies, are lucky to have you and your sage advice. I will be the first to agree with you that it's not too easy to break in to and start making decent cash. I've got about 5 months to find a way to get out of my day job or I'm never going to see my new wife due to some shake ups and schedule changes. So when anything like this get posted I'm most grateful.

Any who, back to work, but thanks again for the post.

</ ass kissing>

Goals / Metrics / Milestones

Adding to the original post...

Another thing that a lot of people overlook IMO is goal setting and measuring their successes. Regardless of where you are financially with your business, goals and milestones should always be something that you strive for.

In the beginning, it's especially important, because the act of hitting a goal can give you extra ego boost needed to get through some of the tough days you'll have. Start out small. Let's say you just decided to give online marketing a shot and you're about to launch your first campaign. Sit down and set some goals before hitting the "Go" button. Make three to begin with. An easy to hit target, moderately difficult and outrageous.

When I first started making money online, it was on eBay 10 years ago. One of my very first goals was to learn enough HTML to make my auctions look prettier. And my "outrageous" goal was to become a power seller. Well, learning the HTML didn't take that long and it was pretty exciting to realize that I knew the difference between various HTML tags. Becoming a power seller took much longer, but I finally did it and it felt great.

Having easy to hit goals is key because it reinforces the notion that you can do it. Once you start hitting the easy goals, your confidence will soar and hitting those tougher goals will seem so much easier. This confidence will help you in all aspects of your business.

Also, if it isn't obvious, the goals need to be something concrete. By concrete, I mean, create a goal with some measurable metric whether it's ROI, profit, number of conversions, whatever. Unmeasurable goals would be things like "I want to get better at writing ads". That's a great goal, but how do you know if you achieved it? You need a metric. So, instead of saying "I want to get better at...", say "I need to create ads that get at least 0.3% CTR". See? Now you have a CTR metric to measure your ad writing abilities against. Campaign goals with dollar amounts attached are also easily measured for success.

Some sample goals that might be good ones to start off with:

• Make $xx in profit per day on XYZ campaign
  • Tweak landing page to increase off page CTR by XX%
  • Earn $xx per week from internet marketing only
  • Increase weekly income by X% over X weeks
See how all of those have a concrete number or value attached? You will know when you achieve one of those goals.

Before you ask: Yes, I have lots of goals in mind. Some have to do with average daily profits, some with intangibles (like learning about something), some are pretty outrageous sounding (but I'll bet you I achieve them - eventually). Most of my goals are not centered around items. For example, I know a lot of people are driven by items, and that's fine, but rather than saying "My goal is to buy a BMW", change it to "My goal is to have $50,000 in cash to buy the BMW". The difference here is the second is more measurable. Whether you buy the beemer or not, you know when you've reached the goal of $50,000, right?

Long post short: Make goals. Make them measurable. Hit them. Repeat.

Love the follow up, some great thoughts about goals. Personally I think they are essential to help keep focus and motivation. I've got a piece of paper taped by my monitor with my goals and motivations listed on it. When I start to doubt myself, or my attention starts to wander (damn affbuzz), a quick glance at that usually helps get me back on track.

I don't know how many people would be interested in this, but I think it would be kind of cool to hear what other peoples goals are (should they choose to share). Not sure if a new thread would be desired, but I think it would be neat to see what others are shooting for. In addition, it could provide for a little accountability and support for us newbies, posting when we reqach our goals and helping each other get there. Got a feeling I'll catch shit for this post, but it's just a thought. Mine are currently:

1.) Make $500 on a single campaign
2.) Reach (at least )$100 a day consistently
3.) $300 a day minimum consistently for a month - which when this goal is hit (and got some money saved up) I will finally quit my soul sucking miserable day job. A day I dream about all the time.

Thanks for this powerful post! It hit me right when and where I needed it to! Each morning I will eat my Frog and then get off my ass and do something. I do agree with Dale. Action does breed confidence and that confidence does breed courage. Thanks, again.

Great post thank you. Good to see some basic clear advice, I'll be taking it on board.

here comes another Thanks post))

no, the post was good indeed)))
hope other posts are as helpful as this one)