I just had a perspective change on life.... now im money hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really glad to see this kind of thread on Wickedfire. Here's my five cents:

"At the end of the day, happiness only comes from the quality of relationships in your life"

The real wake-up call came about 3 years ago when my grandmother had a heart valve replacement surgery. The surgery itself was covered by the insurance, but her insurance would only pay for a regular hospital room (a double) for the week or so that she needed to spend in the hospital after the surgery. It was great knowing that I was just able to pay the extra $200-$300 a night for a private room for her without even giving it a second thought. It was even better knowing that I could be there whenever needed without having to ask for time-off from anyone. Either myself, my parents or my grandfather were there 24/7 and it might have even helped her to recover a bit faster as she was able to leave the hospital two days earlier then originally expected.
There is so much win in this post. Hats off to you, man.

That's what it's all about: looking at a potential crisis and being able to say "Okay, I got this. No problem" and resolving said crisis.

I had two wake up calls - strangely enough both were health related.

The first came when I was 12 or so and broke my leg. We just moved to the US a few month earlier and didn't have any kind of an insurance. I still remember what a financial burden that 25K hospital bill was and how long it took to pay off.

The real wake-up call came about 3 years ago when my grandmother had a heart valve replacement surgery. The surgery itself was covered by the insurance, but her insurance would only pay for a regular hospital room (a double) for the week or so that she needed to spend in the hospital after the surgery. It was great knowing that I was just able to pay the extra $200-$300 a night for a private room for her without even giving it a second thought. It was even better knowing that I could be there whenever needed without having to ask for time-off from anyone. Either myself, my parents or my grandfather were there 24/7 and it might have even helped her to recover a bit faster as she was able to leave the hospital two days earlier then originally expected.

props - the sooner people realize that money buys the ability to be with loved ones, and that is by far the most important thing, the sooner they're truly happy.

I'd rather make $100k a year sitting at home doing this shit, than make a $1million a year putting up with corporate or job place politics and bullshit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wERdV8wRB6Q"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

i just was at a stoplight next to a milf in a 911 turbo. that gives me motivation
You're making this money to chase after high maintenance women with kids? Lulz.

I'd rather make $100k a year sitting at home doing this shit, than make a $1million a year putting up with corporate or job place politics and bullshit.
Yup: this is the real perk IMO, not the material things (though I do love my material things). I lol at all my friends who bust their asses at thankless jobs - despite (a) having their boss's less qualified kid get hired to do the same work they do, (b) losing out on that promotion to the office snitch/brown-noser, or (c) knowing for a fact that the lowly secretary or admin is pulling in more money than they are because she sleeps with the management.

I'm really glad to see this kind of thread on Wickedfire. Here's my five cents:

"At the end of the day, happiness only comes from the quality of relationships in your life"

Well said. Anyone who says something like "money buys happiness" hasn't spent any time around multi-generational wealth. There are many unhappy people in the world who have never looked at a price tag or receipt in their life or known 1 day of lack. Of course this is the .01-1% of the population so it's not exactly known by most......

Money is like water - for most people, it fills a deficiency need. For instance, someone who's spent their entire life in a desert, every single day having to ask "when will I get my next drop of water....why do I always have to worry about water, etc." will literally spend most of their life thinking

"boy if I had enough water, my life would be so perfect".

This isn't far off from how many people live. About 1 billion people a day don't have clean drinking water and if you spend any time around these people, you will see that they talk about water the way the average person
talks about money.

What people really want is a)options and b) freedom from lack/more abundance. Aim to have all the money you need with plenty to spare for whatever lifestyle you want - that and that alone.

Because like most things in life, too much money can be more of a burden than a blessing. Find yourself a very wealthy mentor and he/she will break it down for you....

After a certain money threshold, money DOES become work. How?

1) fear/constant concern constantly about your loved ones - you have to start worrying about their safety (just ask Pierre Omidyar whose kids are accompanied to school by an ex member of the Foreign Legion)

2) law suits - for a couple of tho' you can buy a list of the 30k or so ultra-high net worth individuals in the usa (net worth minus homes of $30 million or more....) leeches out there make a living off of figuring out how to sue you

3) you can't up and meet new people just like that - almost always people have an agenda to meet you and you have to constantly be on your guard

4) full-time job just giving it a way - if you have a bit of a soul, you don't want to hoard it all; this means you need a structured giving plan in place so that you aren't cheated and so that the resources are directed to their highest and best use - imagine that! a semi-full time job just giving money away - can be more work than you really wanted....

the list goes on and on.......

I think Ray Dalio has it outlined quite well in his letter to employees (arguably the world's best fixed-income investor - http://www.bwater.com/home/philosophy.aspx ) the importance of money and what really leads to happiness - the pursuit of excellence as he believes

I personally think having enough funds to do what you want to do in life is the key, but don't get trapped into the cycle of needing more, more, more because you'll always lose in the end....

PS
Here's a great doc by Jamie Johnson whose a member of the Johnson family called "The One Percent" that you might really enjoy and find most insightful...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndpFbeHud9M"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

I heart riddar

Well said. Anyone who says something like "money buys happiness" hasn't spent any time around multi-generational wealth. There are many unhappy people in the world who have never looked at a price tag or receipt in their life or known 1 day of lack. Of course this is the .01-1% of the population so it's not exactly known by most......

Money is like water - for most people, it fills a deficiency need. For instance, someone who's spent their entire life in a desert, every single day having to ask "when will I get my next drop of water....why do I always have to worry about water, etc." will literally spend most of their life thinking

"boy if I had enough water, my life would be so perfect".

This isn't far off from how many people live. About 1 billion people a day don't have clean drinking water and if you spend any time around these people, you will see that they talk about water the way the average person
talks about money.

What people really want is a)options and b) freedom from lack/more abundance. Aim to have all the money you need with plenty to spare for whatever lifestyle you want - that and that alone.

Because like most things in life, too much money can be more of a burden than a blessing. Find yourself a very wealthy mentor and he/she will break it down for you....

After a certain money threshold, money DOES become work. How?

1) fear/constant concern constantly about your loved ones - you have to start worrying about their safety (just ask Pierre Omidyar whose kids are accompanied to school by an ex member of the Foreign Legion)

2) law suits - for a couple of tho' you can buy a list of the 30k or so ultra-high net worth individuals in the usa (net worth minus homes of $30 million or more....) leeches out there make a living off of figuring out how to sue you

3) you can't up and meet new people just like that - almost always people have an agenda to meet you and you have to constantly be on your guard

4) full-time job just giving it a way - if you have a bit of a soul, you don't want to hoard it all; this means you need a structured giving plan in place so that you aren't cheated and so that the resources are directed to their highest and best use - imagine that! a semi-full time job just giving money away - can be more work than you really wanted....

the list goes on and on.......

I think Ray Dalio has it outlined quite well in his letter to employees (arguably the world's best fixed-income investor - Bridgewater - Philosophy ) the importance of money and what really leads to happiness - the pursuit of excellence as he believes

I personally think having enough funds to do what you want to do in life is the key, but don't get trapped into the cycle of needing more, more, more because you'll always lose in the end....

PS
Here's a great doc by Jamie Johnson whose a member of the Johnson family called "The One Percent" that you might really enjoy and find most insightful...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I have been this way since I was a kid really but it is easy to lose motivation. I do what you do and drive around in the big time neighborhoods and do some window shopping at high end stores and that gets my ass back in gear.

Even the death of a loved one can be cushioned if you're wealthy. The pain of losing that person is still bad, but if you work for yourself you can take time off from work, mourn with other family members by going to visit family you don't usually get to see who live out of town (afford the air fare, car rental, etc.) If other family members are affected negatively (like if dad died and you're mom's broke now) you can pick up the slack for them financially and erase their worry.

There really is NO situation in life that money doesn't make BETTER.

^^^^^
Bill Clinton also said "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". I have tried to convince my wife to also understand that getting your dick sucked is not a "sexual relation" but she isn't buying it.

I love the thrill of the chase to get money as much as actually spending the money once you have caught it.

The laughter of my child motivates me.

When I first came to wickedfire, I was interested in AM cause I liked the idea of working up multiple streams of income, but I had no clue how big this industry is. I thought this was largely a hobby/side income thing and that maybe a few of the really good people could pull in a few hundred a day. Then I saw the poll about daily earnings. Perspective changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.