Going Vegan and Taking You With Me :)

m0rtal

King of the Jungle
Jul 3, 2007
Toronto
Listen up you fat asses, I'm going vegan (dietary to start if you want to be nitpicky) and you can follow along if you want. I have various reason for wanting to make the switch (which you can read about if you care) but I do know there's a few chubbies around here so I figured you might want to follow along and see if it can help you.

Don't be butt hurt about me calling you a fat ass just fix it instead. I've been poked fun of when I was chubbier at one point (I hit like 195lbs after quitting smoking last year) too so I know it feels like shit even when people say things "jokingly" but you can either go be a little bitch and cry in the corner or do something about it.

From what I've gathered you should be able to lose a ton of weight just by switching to a vegan diet WITHOUT the addition of any exercise. That's not to say you shouldn't get any but it's not exactly easy to get into it if you're feeling lazy and tired all the time. I'm sure as you shed some pounds you'll gain more energy and decide to become more active.

Just the other day someone I play hockey with was telling me how their cousin went on a vegan diet 4 years ago. He went from close to 350 lbs down to 170!! I don't remember how long it took him to drop all that weight so I won't think up a number but this didn't take four years it happened a lot quicker, anyhoo...

My blog is here: Going vegan. Follow me as I experience the vegan lifestyle. – Dan the Vegan

I'm about 10-20lbs overweight (I started at about 184lbs before going vegan and I'm 5'9) myself and while that doesn't sound like much it's all on my fucking gut and it looks gross. But listen up. I'm on my 6th day of being vegan and I'm down 5 fuckin pounds already and my gut is noticeably smaller, put that on your flogs bitches...but no I'm not taking pics.

The blog is pretty plain right now because I wanted something up quick, I'll get a header and spice it up as I go along, most important is that I'm keeping a log. There's some amazon aff links in there and that's about it, you didn't think I wasn't gonna monetize at all did you? But yeah just a heads up, anyway....

I'm still very new to this and learning about it making sure I get all my nutrients and shit etc etc so if anyone has some experience or is vegan already feel free to drop some advice.

I know there's a few nutrition freaks here too so if you want to check out what I've been eating and perhaps offer advice on anything I might be missing go right ahead. I know all about the B12s and protein and amino acids and omega 3/6 fats etc and addressed that a bit on my blog.

Please spare this thread the meat bullshit wars please. For every meaty steak or burger you post in here I can go out and find some baby pig testicles being ripped out so let's not go there. I've been a meat eater my whole life so I know wtf it looks and tastes like. But if you want to be a little bitch go watch Farm to Fridge (it's on youtube, I didn't link because it posts the vid in here) or http://www.earthlings.com first. If you can still eat meat after that then more power to you man.

K i'm off to go eat my lentil soup :)

I know I"ll still get flamed by some but whatever.

Reactions: wf_prospect

Fuck that I'm morally opposed to veganism it's also not fucking good for you.

Ima fat bastard and been thinking of cutting out meat with the only exception being chicken. I can't eat that nasty ass tofu shit though.

Ima fat bastard and been thinking of cutting out meat with the only exception being chicken. I can't eat that nasty ass tofu shit though.

lol, I'm mildly allergic to soy (I can't have it in concentrated amounts), so being a vegetarian is pretty much out of the question for me.

My fiance has been vegan for 10 years. Me off and on again, but I'm addicted to dairy/seafood. There are three things you will have to fight for: protein/B-vitamins/iron.

Try to cook with castiron and sprinkle nutritional yeast on everything. I get the yeast here, always delivered promptly. Tastes fine.

Good luck man. I hate being vegetarian, I couldn't handle veganism. It'll be worth it though for that weight loss!

Humans are omnivores.

Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple FTW

That reminds me, I just used up my last bit of grass-fed/finished beef. Gonna order more. The only way to go.
'fraid not. We're designed to be able to eat meat/fish if absolutely necessary and starving, but primarily vegetables etc.

Firstly our intestines aren't long enough to handle meat - true omnivores & carnivores have very short intestines, to take in the meat, digest it as quickly as possible, and chuck it out. Ours on the other hand, is long, like a herbivores, designed for maximum digestion of vegetables/beans/pulses etc, which don't cause bowel cancers. That's the reason why humans' rate of bowel cancer is so high compared to animals - all the meat.

Secondly, our teeth aren't designed for it. Carnivores and omnivores have sharper, longer canines than ours. Ours are much more herbivorous.

Thirdly, we are different from omnivores/carnivores, because, generally, we are put off by the thought of uncooked meat [and that's not just a modern society thing]. Animals on the other hand, generally avoid cooked meat - if an animal dies in a forest fire, and a wolf comes across it, it won't eat it.

Reactions: m0rtal
Like I said I'd prefer this not to be a debate so I'll ignore what Insomniac said...based on my reading I could say he's the idiot. Nobody wins these meat vs vegan debates so wtf is the point? If you want to follow along then follow along if not stfu please. There really is nothing to debate here you're either for it or against it. It's your choice. I've made mine.

Honestly I'm on day 6 and haven't had any tofu yet. I've really only had it once before and that's before I went vegan and wasn't really feeling it. Maybe I"ll find a kind I like since you can get different flavours and shit but then there's also replacements like tempeh and seitan which I have also not tried yet.

lol, I'm mildly allergic to soy (I can't have it in concentrated amounts), so being a vegetarian is pretty much out of the question for me.

Check out some hemp stuff. I'm probably gonna ditch the soy myself and stick to hemp seeds, milk and oil. It tastes better and it has more of the good stuff from what I've gathered. Only problem is I'm not sure how easily accessibly it might be for you though I'm sure you can find something online.

My fiance has been vegan for 10 years. Me off and on again, but I'm addicted to dairy/seafood. There are three things you will have to fight for: protein/B-vitamins/iron.

Try to cook with castiron and sprinkle nutritional yeast on everything. I get the yeast here, always delivered promptly. Tastes fine.

Yeah that's one more thing I haven't picked up yet but it's on the shopping list. I do have a lot of that stuff covered I believe though. Hemp seeds are fuckin awesome for all of the above as well. I also take a multivatmin that I have been taking for a while so that should help in case I am missing something though the goal is to get everything in my diet. Here's the supplement: http://www.kend.awarenesshealth.com/mall/products/complete.cfm?temp=436

Last I heard you can't milk a hemp plant cause it's got no titties.

No fucking way that processed shit is any good for you, you've just been brainwashed by a bunch of dirty hippies.

Have a try of different soy stuff, definitely. Some of it tastes radically different from others. Can you get Quorn over there?

Last I heard you can't milk a hemp plant cause it's got no titties.

No fucking way that processed shit is any good for you, you've just been brainwashed by a bunch of dirty hippies.
Processed? Have a look at the ingredients on the back of something vegetarian/vegan, then have a look at the ingredients of something containing meat.

Have a try of different soy stuff, definitely. Some of it tastes radically different from others. Can you get Quorn over there?

Processed? Have a look at the ingredients on the back of something vegetarian/vegan, then have a look at the ingredients of something containing meat.

Yeah I look at the ingredients on nearly everything I buy and every time I checked grass fed beef and milk didn't have much more in it than what you're expecting to get.

I don't know if I can get Quorn, not even sure what it is yet had to google it lol...so far I've really only been to Whole Foods Market and so far they've had EVERYTHING I've needed. I have yet to hit any of the asian food stores which should have a bunch of this stuff and then some as well.

Yeah I look at the ingredients on nearly everything I buy and every time I checked grass fed beef and milk didn't have much more in it than what you're expecting to get.
And that's all you buy to eat? Beef and milk?
I don't know if I can get Quorn, not even sure what it is yet had to google it lol...so far I've really only been to Whole Foods Market and so far they've had EVERYTHING I've needed. I have yet to hit any of the asian food stores which should have a bunch of this stuff and then some as well.
Ah man, you're missing out. There must be some website over there that sells it or something? My mum (who's a big meat eater) prefers their mince to real mince.

Everything I've researched on being a Vegan always comes back to It's not good for you. (Mostly from a combat conditioning and bodybuilding perspective though)

I'm open minded though, and there's nothing better than personal evidence so I'll be interested to see how it works for you.

This fucker was a vegan for years and was sickly and almost died. Switched to a high protein, high veg, nuts, berries and saved his life.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Solution-Original-Human-Diet/dp/0982565844]Amazon.com: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (9780982565841): Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain Ph.D.: Books[/ame]

Common fucking sense FTW