Best areas to live in London ?

Siri om, my budget is about 600£-1200£ for rent + utilities and I was thinking about a studio.
Delaney, I'm going to study at UEAL.
Kingofsp, no bro, I'm romanian, they're going to feel good about themselves when I'll tell them where I'm from.
I heard Lambeth and Islington have pretty high crime rates, btw.

Anything South of the Thames has a discouraging crime rate to be honest. Stay away from Lambeth, Walworth, Peckham, Stockwell. I don't want to be negative because London is a great place to live and study.

Your campus is in a pretty awesome area though, near Liverpool St. right in the hustle and bustle. A friend of mine is staying pretty close to there while doing is MSc at Cass.

Student Accommodation Spitalfields | Student Housing Spitalfields

It's pricey, but literally a 2 minute walk to your campus.

Siri om, my budget is about 600£-1200£ for rent + utilities and I was thinking about a studio.
Delaney, I'm going to study at UEAL.
Kingofsp, no bro, I'm romanian, they're going to feel good about themselves when I'll tell them where I'm from.
I heard Lambeth and Islington have pretty high crime rates, btw.

Tufnell Park is ok, a friend of mine lives there. Studio flat for about £900 a month + bills

Studio apartment to rent in Fortess Road, Tufnell Park, London, NW5, NW5

Pimlico is nice too:

Studio flat to rent in Belgrave Road, Pimlico, London, SW1V
(tiny flat though)

West Hampstead is very nice:

Studio flat to rent in Abbey Road, West Hampstead, NW8

Kilburn is ok, but a bit rough:

Studio flat to rent in Kilburn High Road, Kilburn, NW6, NW6

Hoxton is trendy. Hackney also trendy. Hackney used to require a bulletproof vest to live in, not sure what it's like now.

Balham, Clapham is full of noisy bars with shit music and beered up recruitment consultants/estate agents.

South of the river is a shithole.

Outer london is surburban hell.

Tottenham, Edmonton ('shank town') are total armpits.

Brixton is reasonably trendy now, slight risk of being shot (but less than there was)

I'd live close to the halls if you're going to be partying with other students though.

Buckingham%20Palace%20landing%20guards.jpg

Sound like your on a budget so I would just stay close to where you need to visit 3-4 times a week. Will save you having to get on the underground. Was a few cool bars and clubs in that area too (Shoreditch) when I used to live there.

I lived in Putney, which is quite alright and after that moved to Chelsea, which is great but expensive. Camden is alright (for now), but a bit busy for me.

Like someone said before, avoid most everything on the south side of the Thames.

You are about to move to an amazing city, be sure to make the most of the night life and go to some museums, they are free.

safety is the thing we should take care of it first when we go out ,not only me every body.Now a days every place has threat of not only blacks but also terrorist attacks

:evil_laughter::evil_laughter:

I vote for letting him stay for more lulz

You made the right call deciding to be in the city rather than in a suburb like St. Albans. Places like that are for people who are tired of the city. For the full London experience, you should be in the centre, and as central as possible is my advice. Living centrally just makes everything easier and faster.

Sadly you aren't going to find a studio for £600 even in the worst, most far flung areas, but £1200 is a great budget for a studio anywhere in London. If you aren't expecting views, a huge place, or the height of luxury, you can almost live wherever you want on that budget.

In my experience of the rental market, studios are priced pretty much the same no matter where you are. You could easily get a studio within 15 minutes walk of your university for £1200, and pay the same for a very similar place a 1 hour train journey away. If I was you I'd aim to be looking in E1.

In most cities, the further away out you are the cheaper and better quality things get. In London that isn't really the case. Cheaper areas aren't just further away, they are also violent (or at least have a violent reputation), depressing or have poor transport links.

E1 is a pretty good part of town, and there is no shortage of rental accommodation around there. It's where I live myself. It's the heart of the financial district but also has a large art and design community. so you'll find a good mix of the trendy and the salubrious. There are no shortage of bars, restaurants and shopping opportunities. For you it also has the great advantage of being within walking distance of where you need to be. You will save a lot of money because of that. It's also 10 minutes on the train from the West End, London's main shopping and entertainment district.

The disadvantage of E1 is that it's an inner city nightlife district. It's loud, and it's busy and there is a buzz in the atmosphere, especially at the weekends. For some people that is an issue, so I thought I should make you aware. There is also a lot of competition for good rental properties, but if you have the time to find a good place you should be fine. I've lived in studio flats in the roughly £1200/pm range in the past, and I found a massive difference between the worst and the best. Make sure you see a lot of places.

If the idea of a noisy, busy area with a competitive rental market doesn't thrill you, then you could consider living further out. You might be able to find a nice place a little quicker and easier, but don't expect to make a financial saving unless you go somewhere no one else wants to live.

Here are some more suggestions and places to avoid:

Recommended:

Highgate - Leafy, pleasant, quiet (for London) and great pubs. Expensive.
Hampstead - Very expensive, very nice. Mostly very wealthy families.
Camden - Really central, great live music scene.
Notting Hill - Beautiful, expensive flats. Good deals can sometimes be found. Great shopping/restaurants.
East Dulwich - This is probably the nicest part of London that is also cheaper than most, but it is far out of town and the transport connections are extremely poor.

Places to absolutely avoid:

Lewisham/Catford/Surroundings - Unspeakably grim. High crime rate. Nothing you'd want to visit.
Willesden/Dollis Hill - Horrific.

There are lots of other shitholes too but these are the ones that unfortunate people who are coming to London for the first time and looking for a good deal seem to end up in.

Not sure about Brixton, last 2 times I've been there there's been ~15 armed police officers standing outside the station.

Walking from Stockwell to Brixton at 2am on your own isn't fun to say the least.

You made the right call deciding to be in the city rather than in a suburb like St. Albans. Places like that are for people who are tired of the city. For the full London experience, you should be in the centre, and as central as possible is my advice. Living centrally just makes everything easier and faster.

Sadly you aren't going to find a studio for £600 even in the worst, most far flung areas, but £1200 is a great budget for a studio anywhere in London. If you aren't expecting views, a huge place, or the height of luxury, you can almost live wherever you want on that budget.

In my experience of the rental market, studios are priced pretty much the same no matter where you are. You could easily get a studio within 15 minutes walk of your university for £1200, and pay the same for a very similar place a 1 hour train journey away. If I was you I'd aim to be looking in E1.

In most cities, the further away out you are the cheaper and better quality things get. In London that isn't really the case. Cheaper areas aren't just further away, they are also violent (or at least have a violent reputation), depressing or have poor transport links.

E1 is a pretty good part of town, and there is no shortage of rental accommodation around there. It's where I live myself. It's the heart of the financial district but also has a large art and design community. so you'll find a good mix of the trendy and the salubrious. There are no shortage of bars, restaurants and shopping opportunities. For you it also has the great advantage of being within walking distance of where you need to be. You will save a lot of money because of that. It's also 10 minutes on the train from the West End, London's main shopping and entertainment district.

The disadvantage of E1 is that it's an inner city nightlife district. It's loud, and it's busy and there is a buzz in the atmosphere, especially at the weekends. For some people that is an issue, so I thought I should make you aware. There is also a lot of competition for good rental properties, but if you have the time to find a good place you should be fine. I've lived in studio flats in the roughly £1200/pm range in the past, and I found a massive difference between the worst and the best. Make sure you see a lot of places.

If the idea of a noisy, busy area with a competitive rental market doesn't thrill you, then you could consider living further out. You might be able to find a nice place a little quicker and easier, but don't expect to make a financial saving unless you go somewhere no one else wants to live.

Here are some more suggestions and places to avoid:

Recommended:

Highgate - Leafy, pleasant, quiet (for London) and great pubs. Expensive.
Hampstead - Very expensive, very nice. Mostly very wealthy families.
Camden - Really central, great live music scene.
Notting Hill - Beautiful, expensive flats. Good deals can sometimes be found. Great shopping/restaurants.
East Dulwich - This is probably the nicest part of London that is also cheaper than most, but it is far out of town and the transport connections are extremely poor.

Places to absolutely avoid:

Lewisham/Catford/Surroundings - Unspeakably grim. High crime rate. Nothing you'd want to visit.
Willesden/Dollis Hill - Horrific.

There are lots of other shitholes too but these are the ones that unfortunate people who are coming to London for the first time and looking for a good deal seem to end up in.

Don't agree with the "for people tired of the city". Some people just don't like living in cities full stop, depends on tons of things. I've been to St Albans a few times, and it has an alright nightlife itself, not to mention there's nothing stopping you going out in London if that's your thing, just a little pricier for transport. Going out in London costs a bomb anyway. I've paid £10 for a JD and coke on numerous occasions. The student nights are a bit cheaper, but still very expensive compared with other towns/cities.

Brixton and Stockwell are shitholes, avoid those places like the plague. Hey and also Vauxhall.

Totally agree about Stockwell. No redeeming features whatsoever.

Parts of Brixton can be good depending on your life situation and disposition. I lived in Brixton for a year when I was a 20 year old undergraduate, on the main road just across from the tube station. I absolutely loved the nightlife and the atmosphere, and transport links are excellent into the West End. I never had any problems from people there or felt unsafe, although I am a fairly well built and reasonably streetwise guy and I never really ventured into the quieter parts of the place at night. This was a good few years ago, and from what I understand it is even safer now, with some good new bars and restaurants open. Yes, there are a lot of young, working class black guys hanging around, but they are very unlikely to cause you problems. They are more likely to offer to sell you weed in a reasonably friendly and easily rebuffed way. If you can get past that then you will find a great nightlife area that is definitely worth considering if you are young, like to party, and can find a place on the main drag. My priorities are different now, but if I was 20 again I'd be back there like a shot.

Vauxhall I don't really understand the hate for either. I lived there for a little bit during my student days too. It's pretty featureless with nothing special going on, but it is very close to the centre of town for pretty reasonable rent. There isn't really anywhere good to drink, eat or shop in Vauxhall its self, but you can walk right into the West End in 20 minutes. If you wanted to be that close to the West End otherwise you'd have to be either super rich, share a flat, or live in a tiny cupboard. There are better places than Vauxhall to live but way worse ones too.

Agreed on Stockwell being shit, sitting there right now. My dad made the not-so-great decision of buying a flat there. (I recommended Mudchute, but he wanted somewhere closer to Central London.

On the positive side, you get used to it, and I don't feel worried anymore walking the 15 minutes from the station to the flat. And I've never seen any armed police officers stationed (my dad saw a major arrest with armed police officers a few weeks ago, some guy with a handgun; but none stationed).