48÷2(9+3) = ????

48÷2(9+3)

Votes: 127 43.6%

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • idunnololdog.jpg

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
/ can ALWAYS be substituted for ÷

It depends on how you substitute / for ÷**.

Based on what I quoted in my prior post, you treated the problem as everything that was on the right of the / as the denominator. With your initial logic, the answer would be 5. Using the same method that you've used to solve my original problem, the main question would be answered 288.

Maths has to be precise. Otherwise mathematicians will come out with different answers from the same equation.

The question is precise. People are just getting things complicated.

Ok wickedfire is like bunch of fucking 3rd graders....I does not fucking matter you use this sign "/ " or this sign ÷. ( fun fact in Russia we use this sign " : " ) . They all mean the same.
2(9+3) "2" is common multiple for "9" and "3". I hope you made till like 7 grade in high school to understand what it is.
I don't know why this is debatable even or why math professors need to be involved lol

"2(9+3)" is value, it can be represented by
2(9+3)=1(18+6)=3(6+2)=6(3+1).... where 1,2,3,6 are common multiples you see?

You can't break it apart and use part of value in different operations:
You can not do 48/2 and then multiply it by (9+3)

I dunno if you think its not 2 just by looking at it you need to go and enroll in high school.
Pardon my russian.
P.S
OMG. seolinker wtf they teach you in Ukraine :)

It depends on how you substitute / for ÷**.

Based on what I quoted in my prior post, you treated the problem as everything that was on the right of the / as the denominator. With your initial logic, the answer would be 5. Using the same method that you've used to solve my original problem, the main question would be answered 288.

The question is precise. People are just getting things complicated.

Look / is the same as ÷. Even if you don't substitute / for ÷:

40 ÷ 5 + 3 = 8 + 3 = 11

If you want to reverse the order, you use the bracket like this

40 ÷ (5 + 3) = 40 ÷ 8 = 5

The equation 40 ÷ 5 + 3 only has one answer, it does not depend on "how one look at it".

/ can ALWAYS be substituted for ÷

40 ÷ 5 + 3 = 40/5 + 3 = 8 + 3 = 11.

The only way the answer becomes 5 is if we do this:

40 ÷ (5 + 3) = 5
OR
40/(5 + 3) = 5

Here, you do it in a linear format to solve my problem.

While you treat / as the line of a fraction.

48÷2(9+3) is equivalent to 48/2(9+3)

In these situations you carry out the operations of the nominator and denominator separately. Hence

48/2(9+3)=48/24

Once the operations of the nominator and denominator is complete THEN you do the division of the nominator and denominato.

Thus 48/24= 2

If it were the equivalent, then you'd treat everything at the right of the ÷ as the denominator, and would've gotten 5.

Here, you do it in a linear format to solve my problem.

While you treat / as the line of a fraction.

If it were the equivalent, then you'd treat everything at the right of the ÷ as the denominator, and would've gotten 5.

Why are you complicating things?

Look a fraction is a division. / is the same as ÷ .

You don't treat EVERYTHING on the right hand side as a denominator. Where in my post does it give you that impression. You have used 2 different equations trying to prove your point and none of them have shown a contradiction in my process.

So you want me to solve 48÷2(9+3) with out / ?? Here it is

48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2(12) = 48÷24 = 2

Again its 2.

Ok wickedfire is like bunch of fucking 3rd graders....I does not fucking matter you use this sign "/ " or this sign ÷. ( fun fact in Russia we use this sign " : " ) . They all mean the same.
2(9+3) "2" is common multiple for "9" and "3". I hope you made till like 7 grade in high school to understand what it is.
I don't know why this is debatable even or why math professors need to be involved lol

"2(9+3)" is value, it can be represented by
2(9+3)=1(18+6)=3(6+2)=6(3+1).... where 1,2,3,6 are common multiples you see?

You can't break it apart and use part of value in different operations:
You can not do 48/2 and then multiply it by (9+3)

I dunno if you think its not 2 just by looking at it you need to go and enroll in high school.
Pardon my russian.
P.S
OMG. seolinker wtf they teach you in Ukraine :)

This is another situation where people typically get the question wrong.

(9+3) is a value. The numerical coefficient of all values within a single term can be a "value" in itself, and does not belong to a specific value.

2(9+3) * 25(1+4) * 5(5+5) is in a single term. Using the associative rule of multiplication, the coefficient can be combined or separate while the values must remain untouched. (9+3), (1+4) and (5+5) can be x y z, but 2, 25 and 5 are independent of x y z, as 5(9+3) * 25(1+4) * 2(5+5) will give the same result.

You would have a point if it were 48 + 2(9+3) [2 terms], but it's not.

Why are you complicating things?

Look a fraction is a division. / is the same as ÷ .

You don't treat EVERYTHING on the right hand side as a denominator. Where in my post does it give you that impression. You have used 2 different equations trying to prove your point and none of them have shown a contradiction in my process.

So you want me to solve 48÷2(9+3) with out / ?? Here it is

48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2(12) = 48÷24 = 2

Again its 2.

I see what you mean now. I didn't really catch you combining 2(9+3) as part of a single value**, and thought you did just because of the / sign.

But the answer is wrong as it goes against the order of operations.

I see what you mean now. I didn't really catch you combining 2(9+3) as part of a single value**, and thought you did just because of the / sign.

But the answer is wrong as it goes against the order of operations.

What is your order of operations?

The order is simple. From left to right unless bracket is involved.

So for example 48+2(9÷3) that order does not change just because ÷ became a +, vice versa. So

48+2(9÷3) = 48 + 2(3) = 48 + 6 = 54

What is your order of operations?

The order is simple. From left to right unless bracket is involved.

So for example 48+2(9÷3) that order does not change just because ÷ became a +, vice versa. So

48+2(9÷3) = 48 + 2(3) = 48 + 6 = 54

Yes, it does. I stated it above.

54 is correct because + has a less of an operations precedence than the parenthesis and the multiplication ( 2(3) ). But once you put multiplication next to division, you must do them from left to right, or give them the same precedence and operate on them correctly.

knarxed can you agree that I can represent (9+3) as X?
it gives us
48÷2x where x=(9+3)
So...

Right I have talked to a few mathematicians about this and they are of the same opinion as me and that is that the juxtaposition takes priority.

and this can be seen simply with the following simple equation.

10x÷5x=2,

However according to the same logic as most people are using it should be considered 10*x÷5*x which would then be equal to 2x^2 which is incorrect

As 10 and 5 are right next to the x's (juxtaposed) their multiplications take priority and the equation can be considered as (10*x)÷(5*x)

The same can be seen from the OPs equation, the fact that the 2 is next to the brackets it would be considered as juxtaposed and so it would take priority over the division.

Yes, it does. I stated it above.

54 is correct because + has a less of an operations precedence than the parenthesis and the multiplication ( 2(3) ). But once you put multiplication next to division, you must do them from left to right, or give them the same precedence and operate on them correctly.

Ok, got what you mean. Had a look of operations:

Order of Operations

Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses. Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right. Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.
So from this:

48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2(12) = 24(12) = 288

Its settled.

If you're an engineer, you'll come up with:

48÷2(9+3) = 48÷(18+6) = 48÷(24) = 2

Non-engineers will come up with:

48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2(12) = 48÷2*12 = 24*12 = 288

You are so true. I'm an engineer in real life

MULTIPLICATION DOESNT TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER DIVISION

They are performed left to right

and ÷ or / has no significance whatsoever.

lol at the poll results

now do you agree that ÷ is the same as / ?, cause some people seem don't understand it's the same
And if you do get me x out of
48/2x=288 and 48/2x=2

It depends on who's looking at it and how its used. I've discussed this problem on another forum and people read the / as a fraction line where the right has everything under it (or, they do 2(9+3) as one). But if you're doing the problem linear, then they're exactly the same and should be done in steps.

Did you want me to get x out of each? The first is 11 and the second is 0.0833333....

Or not, if juxtaposition takes priority. LOL

Come to think of it, I have always treated brackets with numbers next to it as a single value. This could be the juxtaposition rule.

It is and I did the same thing. That's why I mentioned in my earlier post that the rules of algebra that people are so use may not apply in this situation. They help us a lot figuring out or simplifying complex problems.