48÷2(9+3) = ????

48÷2(9+3)

Votes: 127 43.6%

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • idunnololdog.jpg

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters

It amazes me that mainly people with an obvious very basic level maths are chiming in and insulting everyone else for having a differing opinion to theirs on a subject that polarizes maths teachers and professors.

Precisely.

All the people that didn't finish year 10 maths: "It's 288 dude! You lern this in 3rd grade"

All the people that understood algebra: "Uhh, not exactly".

I was hanging out with 4 of my buddies yesterday (2 engineers and 2 with degree in Physics), asked them this question...and all of them answered 2. LOL!

Precisely.

All the people that didn't finish year 10 maths: "It's 288 dude! You lern this in 3rd grade"

All the people that understood algebra: "Uhh, not exactly".

uhh no - order of operations doesn't change. algebra has nothing to do with this. order of operations applies to algebra just as much - abstraction changes nothing in this sense.

Sorry I think I wrote that in an ambiguous way. Let me put it this way

Does

10x÷5x=2

or

10x÷5x=2x^2

?

48/x(9+3) = 288
48/x(12) = 288 Add 9+3
48/x = 24 Division by 12
x = 2

48/12*x is not the same thing as 48/x*12, etc. Hopefully that helps.

Wrong.

At this point

48/x12=288

you MULTIPLY by 12x. since 12x is the denominator on the left hand side

Hence

48=3456x

Thus x=48/3456 = 0.013

Therefore the answer CANNOT be 288. The answer to op's question is 2.

I'm a maths graduate, though I don't go by this rule and that rule, I have been these kind of equations instinctively.

48÷2(9+3) is equivalent to 48/2(9+3)

In these situations you carry out the operations of the nominator and denominator separately. Hence

48/2(9+3)=48/24

Once the operations of the nominator and denominator is complete THEN you do the division of the nominator and denominato.

Thus 48/24= 2

Can somebody who is in love with the correct answer being 2 explain that?

It is 2 for gods sake. It was answered by nickster, me and few others. I also checked with my math professor. Even texas instruments made some of the calculators according to that consensus that you must multiply first there (implied brackets)

This is fact.

as if theres any practical application for this bullshit

Obviously you're not a golfer.

the%2520dude.jpg

The only way I can see someone get the answer as 2 is if one substitutes the ÷ sign as a / and completely sets the denominator as everything right of the /. I understand if you see the problem as a fraction, but if it has the ÷ sign, it's best if it were treated the exact way you've read it. If there's no explicit indication that it's part of a denominator, then why look at it that way? It doesn't matter how long you've been studying algebra and have gotten use to multiplying next to the parenthesis, or how many times you've used the distributive rule of multiplication, etc. Division problems in linear format are not always x / y.

Is 40 ÷ 5 + 3 = 5? Or is it 11?

48÷2(9+3) is equivalent to 48/2(9+3)

This is exactly what I mean.

The only way I can see someone get the answer as 2 is if one substitutes the ÷ sign as a / and completely sets the denominator as everything right of the /. I understand if you see the problem as a fraction, but if it has the ÷ sign, it's best if it were treated the exact way you've read it. If there's no explicit indication that it's part of a denominator, then why look at it that way? It doesn't matter how long you've been studying algebra and have gotten use to multiplying next to the parenthesis, or how many times you've used the distributive rule of multiplication, etc. Division problems in linear format are not always x / y.

Is 40 ÷ 5 + 3 = 5? Or is it 11?

This is exactly what I mean.

/ can ALWAYS be substituted for ÷

40 ÷ 5 + 3 = 40/5 + 3 = 8 + 3 = 11.

The only way the answer becomes 5 is if we do this:

40 ÷ (5 + 3) = 5
OR
40/(5 + 3) = 5

It doesn't matter how long you've been studying algebra and have gotten use to multiplying next to the parenthesis, or how many times you've used the distributive rule of multiplication, etc. Division problems in linear format are not always x / y.

Maths has to be precise. Otherwise mathematicians will come out with different answers from the same equation.

I have bachelor mathematics degree and got 288, but at first did it even wrong and still got 288.

48 / 2 (9+3) right ? So I simply thought it's 48 / 2 / (9+3) = 48 / 2 / 12 = 48 / 1 / 6 = 48 * 6 since it's pretty much equal actions vica versa and got 288, then loled and realised I really should divide first after brackets....

hm... or no ? LOL