Work in Co-Working centers?

lincolndsp

Oct 16, 2010
What are your experiences about having worked/ working in co-working centers?

considering working now not from home after stumbling into this to boost productivity. didn't know about this before.

please share :music07:

Personally, I'd rather cut my ear off than spend my days in a medium-sized room with three other people working away, chatting on their phones / Skype, etc.

Fuck that... I'll stick with my comfortable home office, which even comes with dogs! I need my own space though.

^^ i just researched some in my city and there are rules for no phone talks inside, only in corridors to avoid disturbing.
F0IIC.jpg

F0IIC

^^ i just researched some in my city and there are rules for no phone talks inside, only in corridors to avoid disturbing.

So I have to pack my laptop out, and sit in the hallway everytime someone calls me on Skype? Another reason to stick with my own home office.

I could do an office building, but I'd need my own office. No way I could share an office. I could see forcing entry-level employees to share an office with each other though. Keep an eye each other, and the tension level up, kinda deal. Keep 'em productive!

This type of working environment always sounds like disaster.

Just putting some random people together in a space doesn't mean productivity will be boosted. It'll all about the type of culture created in the space.

The companies that put these centers together should match people trying to achieve common goals.

I did some research into co-working facilities and I chose to get my own small office outside of the house about 6 months ago when we moved.

The co-working facilities are sexy when you first look at them, but they can be a pit you can fall into. Lots of activity in the building, there is typically that one loud person that will piss you off, and the price advantage is not all that great.

Most of these offices have a day pass, so call the owner/manager and tell them you want to test drive the facility. It may be your style, but it was not for me.

I got my own office in a shared complex for a comparable price and negotiated my internet access (dedicated) to around $40/month. For under $400 total I have my own office that I can get out of the house to and knock out my work.

Just go and work at your local college or university campus. Free WiFi, loads of library / study space in different places so you can change things up a bit, cheap restaurants, and of course... girls everywhere.

I work in an office where we have our own room, but it's within a co-working space. I share our office with my partner.

People in the co-working space seem pretty happy though, and from talking to them many think they are much more productive there than at home, and they've met lots of people through working there that have led them to new clients, more business, etc..

It's not for me personally though, I'd get sick of having people doing different things around me, shouting down the phone, etc.

I work in an office where we have our own room, but it's within a co-working space. I share our office with my partner.

People in the co-working space seem pretty happy though, and from talking to them many think they are much more productive there than at home, and they've met lots of people through working there that have led them to new clients, more business, etc..

It's not for me personally though, I'd get sick of having people doing different things around me, shouting down the phone, etc.

This week is my first full month working in a office exactly like this, they have co-working open areas around the building but we have our own office and can close the door which was a must have for us. but we leave it open most of the time, our neighbors are cool as fuck and throw a office party every other week and everyone gets wasted and tries to work.

I have to say I really enjoy not working from home, after doing it for 3 years there where days where I wouldn't even get dressed and you start to feel depressed after a while, my only issue now is the commute (35 min), but I'm planning on moving to this area anyway that's why I got the office that was a bit out of the way and on the other side of town so that won't be a issue shortly.

TL;DR: Do it, working from home sucks when it's your only option.

This week is my first full month working in a office exactly like this, they have co-working open areas around the building but we have our own office and can close the door which was a must have for us. but we leave it open most of the time, our neighbors are cool as fuck and throw a office party every other week and everyone gets wasted and tries to work.

I have to say I really enjoy not working from home, after doing it for 3 years there where days where I wouldn't even get dressed and you start to feel depressed after a while, my only issue now is the commute (35 min), but I'm planning on moving to this area anyway that's why I got the office that was a bit out of the way and on the other side of town so that won't be a issue shortly.

TL;DR: Do it, working from home sucks when it's your only option.

Any tips on finding co-working spaces? I've browsed around, but couldn't find anything worthwhile in Orlando. I'm sure I'm just looking in the wrong place though.

I've been in something like that. Now a days, there are many such offerings, so choose wisely. Some must have's:

1- Own door - I need my own space, a nice window and decent sound insulation.
2- 24/7 Access - Not all of them have it
3- A serious Commitment to keeping shit going efficiently and effectively (internet, water, electricity, repairs, etc)

I have found 1 and 2. #3 is where I had trouble. I take office availability and prior planing dead seriously. Hopefully they are available 24/7/365, not just on paper

One more thing - you can not leave any stuff there, at least I could not leave anything where other people (including strangers) are working. So I would have to bring all my stuff back home every day. That sucks.

Depends what other benefits there are. A lot of these places will have networking events, gigs and parties. If you can afford the option, I would say go for it. You won't have to wash your filthy hoody so often.