Where is the best place to stay for IM?

axxomarketing

Aug 21, 2007
Looks like most people here say it's Thailand? I went to Bangkok twice, and pretty much like the place but not the girls because I don't know whether they are female or male.

I am looking for a city to stay with reasonably good internet infrastructure (99.99% uptime, minimum 4 MB download/2 MB upload speed) and cheap cost of living, of course hot women too.

So what do you guys say?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• wang1.jpg
    wang1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • wang2.jpg
    wang2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,076
  • wang3.jpg
    wang3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,071
  • wang4.jpg
    wang4.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • wang5.jpg
    wang5.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,079

I was about to post a similar tread.
I'm planning to go on some extensive vacation during winter, and I'm wondering where I have good connectivity.

OP, who cares about download speed when other factors suck?
I'm more concerned about things like latency.
I have been to some Asian countries and while I was able to download fast, it was very slow to establish any connection in first place (also, very crappy DNS resolving)

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latency_(engineering)#Fiber_Optics

Hong Kong is the best if you want excellent infrastructure (good Internet connectivity), lax business regulations, a good legal system, and legal tax free offshore income (As long as you're not American). Obtaining a Visa is easy and unlike Thailand you can eventually become a naturalized citizen if you live in HK for 7 years and are willing to renounce your other nationality. If you're not willing to renounce your other nationality, you can still obtain permanent residency. HK is also a very safe city with low violent crime.

The big negative is that property is very expensive here, so it's only a realistic option for ballers.

Thailand is good if you want a place with low cost of living, but there are many hidden costs (western food is expensive, computers cost more than in HK, etc) and the legal system is weak. You can easily get fucked over in Thailand if you're not careful (Extortion or worse). I have also heard the Internet access is a bit spotty in Thailand, but I do not have much personal experience.

Berlin. Cheaper than BKK (I've lived there too) but less hectic and has a solid infrastructure (obviously).

How the hell can Berlin be cheaper than BKK? Are you smoking weed, bro?

Hong Kong is the best if you want excellent infrastructure (good Internet connectivity), lax business regulations, a good legal system, and legal tax free offshore income (As long as you're not American). Obtaining a Visa is easy and unlike Thailand you can eventually become a naturalized citizen if you live in HK for 7 years and are willing to renounce your other nationality. If you're not willing to renounce your other nationality, you can still obtain permanent residency. HK is also a very safe city with low violent crime.

The big negative is that property is very expensive here, so it's only a realistic option for ballers.

I am interested to hear more about HK cost of living. Definitely it is not as expensive as Singapore according to Mercer.

Cost of Living survey 2012

Definitely it is not as expensive as Singapore according to Mercer.

Cost of Living survey 2012

It's nice to see that HK is cheaper than Singapore. Honestly what really jacks up the cost of living in HK is the insane property market. HK has a lot of "hot money" (read:dirty money) flowing into its property market from China and it's forming a property bubble. I'm confident that this bubble is going to pop within 5 years because it's simply not sustainable.

Aside from property, other stuff isn't THAT expensive. Although the property market does affect the costs of other goods and services in the city, there is also no sales tax and income taxes cap out at 16% here for income derived from HK. Income that is derived offshore is taxed at 0%. There's also no capital gains or estate tax here.

Stuff like eating out is pretty comparable to any major western city, and HK has some amazingly good cheap eats as well as fine dining too. Computer equipment is really cheap in HK and pretty comparable to western prices. Groceries are going to cost you 50% more than in the west partly due to the fact that there's a cartel that fixes the prices. If you're a cheap skate, you can get around the grocery cartel by shopping at prizemart and your local wet market.

Rent is insane though. A friend of mine was paying 16k HKD a month for a 700 square foot flat. That's over 2 grand US a month. I bought property when the market was cheap though, so I am not affected by this and it's only a matter of time before the bubble pops anyway so don't fret.

I've been living in HK for nearly 8 years now.

That's still cheap, man. In Singapore, I have to pay around 4000 SGD just to get a studio (250 square foot).

Code:
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/singapore-property-listing?listing_type=rent&search_type=property&property_id=59&interest=&distance=1&property_type=N&freetext=&districts[]=&hdb_estate=&maxprice=&maxbed=0&minbed=0&minsize=&searchbtn=Search

It's nice to see that HK is cheaper than Singapore. Honestly what really jacks up the cost of living in HK is the insane property market. HK has a lot of "hot money" (read:dirty money) flowing into its property market from China and it's forming a property bubble. I'm confident that this bubble is going to pop within 5 years because it's simply not sustainable.

Aside from property, other stuff isn't THAT expensive. Although the property market does affect the costs of other goods and services in the city, there is also no sales tax and income taxes cap out at 16% here for income derived from HK. Income that is derived offshore is taxed at 0%. There's also no capital gains or estate tax here.

Stuff like eating out is pretty comparable to any major western city, and HK has some amazingly good cheap eats as well as fine dining too. Computer equipment is really cheap in HK and pretty comparable to western prices. Groceries are going to cost you 50% more than in that west partly due to the fact that there's a cartel that fixes the prices. If you're a cheap skate, you can get around the grocery cartel by shopping at prizemart and your local wet market.

Rent is insane though. A friend of mine was paying 16k HKD a month for a 700 square foot flat. That's over 2 grand US a month. I bought property when the market was cheap though, so I am not affected by this and it's only a matter of time before the bubble pops anyway so don't fret.

Thailand
Southern Spain
South America
Philipines
Bali
Eastern Europe
Serbia

Yes... Eastern Europe & Serbia...

Much better as Thailand, Bali or Philipines.

I ask you again after you enjoyed there the first winter and
the first "helpful hands" from the eastern mafia. Oh no, wait.
We talk here about tough WF members. There is nothing to fear.

Another thing about Berlin is that the taxes are very high in Germany and the tax collector is pretty aggressive against tax dodgers. Also Germany has always been a country that traditionally loves regulating everything, even if Berlin does have an awesome "startup culture".

Germany does have some excellent social programs though.

Stuff like eating out is pretty comparable to any major western city, and HK has some amazingly good cheap eats as well as fine dining too. Computer equipment is really cheap in HK and pretty comparable to western prices. Groceries are going to cost you 50% more than in the west partly due to the fact that there's a cartel that fixes the prices. If you're a cheap skate, you can get around the grocery cartel by shopping at prizemart and your local wet market.

I've been living in HK for nearly 8 years now.

I'm living in Tokyo now and I'm thinking of hitting up HK next.

Do people generally speak English good enough to hold a conversation there?

Thailand is great if you want to live like your wealthy even if you're not.

But you'll never be living a true wealthy lifestyle. There's still mafia all over the place and the streets are still dirty.

Also, you will never not feel like a walking wallet in Thailand.

I haven't found a good place that's both cheap and nice.

Tokyo is pretty nice if you want to live in a very well thought out society.

Honestly though America is #1 in my list right now still. San Francisco, LA, Miami or Boston.

How the hell can Berlin be cheaper than BKK? Are you smoking weed, bro?

Not smoking anything (not even that good Thai shit).

It's much cheaper actually.

I stayed there over the summer. Had my own flat for 370 euros/month (everything included) in Kreuzberg, a nice trendy neighborhood. And groceries etc. were cheap.