When was the last time you read a book?

I've read 3 in the last 3 weeks, currently on my 4th...

If you want to read something inspirational that will change your outlook on life and self development, check out: The Compound Effect

Easy read and should change the way you view reading, watching or listening to pretty much anything!

It's almost impossible for me to sit down and read a book after staring at a computer screen all day. I just picked up a Kindle Fire so I didn't have the excuse of "not having anything to read"....but so far it's just been a toy for Fantasy Football.

I read until I pass out every night before going to bed, read while I eat, and listen to audiobooks in the car rides(which I do a lot of for photography, and my family is an hour's drive away) or during chores. Always have a few books on the go this way.

The book I'm currently reading before goign to sleep is javascript the definitive guide 6th edition -David Flanagan/O'Reilly. I've woken up several times already in the middle of a dream where I'm either debugging code or in some weird 3rd person view thinking about code. I think it's kind of awesome that our brain is still processing data when we're supposedly unconscious.

Are you one of those persons(like me) that can't go to sleep because your mind can't stop wandering? That's the one mega benefit of reading heavy/non-fiction before going to sleep, is your brain will get tired amazingly quick if you're moderately tired. The worst thing you could do before going to bed is reading a 'page-turner'/fiction.

I'm currently choosing what's going to be my next audiobook, just finished "The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality - Brian Greene". Recommendations welcome.. :eatmousepointer:

17-66-thickbox.jpg

9780801886560.jpg

thewaveshadow3-copy.png

Gone_Girl_%28Flynn_novel%29.jpg

Last night. I've been on a good streak reading most evenings to relax and get away from the computer and TV. But most of the time, just when I think I'm going to do lots of reading, Stanford opens up a sweet new (free) online course I can't resist! And there's my reading material.

Sadly I still have stacks of books sitting on my shelves I bought years ago and haven't opened yet.

I've woken up several times already in the middle of a dream where I'm either debugging code or in some weird 3rd person view thinking about code. I think it's kind of awesome that our brain is still processing data when we're supposedly unconscious.

I've had those too, and also this:

lol, I once blacked out in a party and apparently had a nightmare, because the next morning guys told me that I was mumbling "They are speaking in Python, they are speaking in Python!"
Sadly I can't remember a thing :D

Audiobooks is the only way I do it anymore. And like others have said, these days you can get a lot of stuff you would from a book on places like Youtube. I work out every morning and listen to a book or Youtube while I workout and it's been very effective for me. Sitting down and reading a book page by page just doesn't really do it for me anymore.

If anyone is finding it hard to read as if your eyes and brain aren't connecting with the book try the Kindle.

I think in today's world we're simply not use to reading paper - our eyes don't like it, and this causes us to hate reading even more.

#annecdotalevidence

Other Benefits:

1. Lightweight, multiple books,
2. Progress monitoring %, time left in chapter,
3. Highlighters, definitions
4. Back light, can read in the dark.
5. Adjustable font size.
6. No page turning which takes you out of the action.

Srsly, I feel like reading became less of a chore when I stopped hauling around paperbacks and having to physically impress upon them to read.

I used to like reading, but staring at the computer all day has killed that for me. I do enjoy audio books on longer drives but when I have a break I just want to go outside.

I respect the grind (and your achievement thus far), but can you really retain all that information?

This worries me sometimes too. I can remember key concepts from each of the books I've read over the last few months, but certainly there has been a certain percentage of valuable information lost.

I counter this by taking detailed notes as I'm reading. This is much easier on my Kindle where I can make highlights with the touch of my finger. Physical books require me to type away on my phone with one hand and take the occasional picture.

Example:

2i1Qrzc.png

If anyone is finding it hard to read as if your eyes and brain aren't connecting with the book try the Kindle.

I think in today's world we're simply not use to reading paper - our eyes don't like it, and this causes us to hate reading even more.

#annecdotalevidence

Other Benefits:

5. Adjustable font size.

Srsly, I feel like reading became less of a chore when I stopped hauling around paperbacks and having to physically impress upon them to read.

I simply love the paper format and books. I've been an avid reader since I was very young. On average I probably read about a book a week, and often have a few on the go at the same time for variety.

Exceptions being books like Stalingrad (Anthony Beevor) which are quite large & not so easy going.

Now that I have my own business it's sometimes difficult to find time to read as much but I made a pact with myself in the "summer" to make time and it's been hugely rewarding.

I genuinely believe reading is far more fulfilling than loafing in front of a movie or TV, and full up bookshelves are quality to browse through.

#annecdotalevidence

Other Benefits:

5. Adjustable font size.

The Kindle was a game-changer for me. I've always been a voracious reader, but the Kindle improved the experience. I now read more than ever.

As an aside, the next paperwhite (v3) is rumored to use a flex screen from Mobius (due out before Christmas, hopefully). Can you imagine reading on something like this, but with zero glare?

new-earl-screen.jpg

Talk about portability! :)

I probably average around 5-6 books a month. Typically, I read an entire book in 1-2 days and then don't ready anything for a few days. I find it difficult to read for 30 minutes and then stop, and then I don't feel like picking the book back up. I've been trying to read "Gravity's Rainbow" like that, but the truth is I'll have to just take off work for a week when I'm ready to really read it.

Currently I'm reading "Zero To One" by Peter Thiel. Been reading in four hour blocks, so I'll be finished it soon.

Read something productive...

^^ I agree. It takes no effort for me to read something when it seems like every page is giving me value. When I was a kid I could read classic literature and stuff like that all day, because it was all new to me and extremely valuable, but with every book I read, my standards increase. I still manage to read for pleasure, but my time for that is limited. When I read something productive, it's easy to make time.

Read two this week so far.

Built to Sell - Nice easy read about systematizing your small business.
What got you here, won't get you there - Awesome book! Reading it is like being punched in the gut over and over again, but I think anybody who reads it will learn a lot about themselves.

I try to read 1-2 chapters from a book daily, every day. Currently trying it out as my morning routine ( has been a nightly one for months ).

Im on Ulitmate Sales Machine Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes. ( non aff link )

Takes me a bit longer since once I read a book, I tend to read it a 2nd time and take notes to help retain. I also do this with audio books.

Before this book, I finished up Awaken The Giant by Tony Robbins

Same here. Working on making it a part of my daily morning routine.

Last book I read was Play it Away a book recommended by Tim Ferriss on getting rid of anxiety. Current read is Unlimited Power by Tony Robbins.

EDIT: +1 for meaty's recommendation of The Compound Effect.