When was the last time you read a book?

n8800

Fateless
Sep 11, 2008
Istanbul, Turkey
I quit my job and a week ago I came back from a week long vacation. After spending the week playing video games and waking up at 3pm I've decided I should do something productive with my free time. I want to take like a couple of months off from everything and spend sometime readjusting myself. I recently finished a masters in Political sciences and decided i want to start reading my old books, Hemingway, Edgar Allen Poe, Etc.

I find it hard to sit down and read a book, how are you guys managing to do it? If in fact you do read a book.

:love-smiley-086:

About 9 months ago. Construction workers excavated some cables so I didn't have electricity for 3 days. Read "Three against the wilderness" and one of the Don Juan's, the one where at the end he becomes a saint and helps plague victims. Time well spent.

That's what sucks about this biz. I spend so much time reading industry stuff, I never want to sit down with some fiction.

I like to lay down in my bed to read. Just finished this book
The Dice Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Dice Man is a novel published in 1971 by George Cockcroft under the pen name Luke Rhinehart and tells the story of a psychiatrist who begins making life decisions based on the casting of dice. Cockcroft wrote the book based on his own experiences of using dice to make decisions while studying psychology.[1] The novel is noted for its subversivity, anti-psychiatry sentiments and for reflecting moods of the early 1970s. Due to its subversive nature and chapters concerned with controversial issues such as rape, murder and sexual experimentation, it was banned in several countries.[2]

Read the Game of Thrones series recently finishing ADwD and realized i shouldn't have bothered because the fat fuck will likely not finish the series before he's dead and HBO will finish it for him very soon (they have the rights).

I also realized HBO added quite a bit of extra gayness that is never anywhere in the books. Homo-Box-Office at it again!

If your into any type of epic fantasy i would suggest "The Way Of Kings" by Brandon Sanderson.

or

"Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss

Those 2 books are just modern fantasy masterpieces!

I make it a habit to read every night before bed. So last night is the last time I read a book. It's one of the easiest things you can do in life, you lay down and scan your eyes over pieces of paper. If you don't have the self discipline to scan your eyes over pieces of paper then I honestly question your capability to do anything. Considering you want to read that is.

I've read 50 pages out of a book each day for the past 7 weeks. I have missed a few days, but I'm currently on my 7th book in that time span. My goal is to gradually increase my time spent reading to reach (and exceed?) a pace of 100 books per year.

I've read 50 pages out of a book each day for the past 7 weeks. I have missed a few days, but I'm currently on my 7th book in that time span. My goal is to gradually increase my time spent reading to reach (and exceed?) a pace of 100 books per year.

I respect the grind (and your achievement thus far), but can you really retain all that information?

Not a new one! But, the one which I had read already. It made me cry because those things mentioned in the book were so easy to do and still I am pissing myself in making money and finding those pleasures which are going to fade away soon.

I personally recommend you this book. If you are lacking enjoyment in your life, make sure you read this one. 100 chapters, but worth reading.

Who Will Cry When You Die - Robin Sharma.

Last book I read hmmm, Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography last year. Through my teens and into my early twenties I was reading a shit ton of books, ranging from classics, psychology, philosophy, physics, astrophysics, spiritual stuff, marketing, investing, physical training.. basically anything that I thought would help me grow as a person.

But in the past couple years I kind of stopped reading and I only read an odd book like Arnold's example here and there. Honestly it feels like a time drain because I think I've educated myself about stuff I was interested from that medium enough and I don't have a strong incentive to dedicate myself to read a new book every week or so.

Truth be told, most of the knowledge I acquired like 10 years ago from books can now be easily accessed through internet in easier to process form - also it makes cross checking easier since you can go down hundreds of rabbit holes in a non-linear fashion.

As for the fun aspect of reading, I loved sci fi but I get my dose of sci fi from movies and series nowadays and it's a lot more fun too, especially because of the recent development in hyper realistic CGI and better scripts.

I try to read 1-2 chapters from a book daily, every day. Currently trying it out as my morning routine ( has been a nightly one for months ).

Im on Ulitmate Sales Machine [ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Sales-Machine-Turbocharge/dp/1591842158"]Ultimate Sales Machine[/ame] by Chet Holmes. ( non aff link )

Takes me a bit longer since once I read a book, I tend to read it a 2nd time and take notes to help retain. I also do this with audio books.

Before this book, I finished up Awaken The Giant by Tony Robbins

Currently in the middle of Robert Greene's "Mastery". Was taking a break yesterday in Barnes & Noble, reading it in one of their big lounge chairs... and across from me was a black girl reading "12 Years a Slave".

Dem ironeez.

Shamefully, several months ago. There's one book I've been reading all year, but it's anecdotal so I guess that's fine.

Definitely want to get in the habit of 1 book per month.