Vancouver to San Diego Roadtrip, Leaving at 4am

After you pass Big Sur, when you get near Hearst Castle, their is a KICKASS beach with a bunch of seals just chillin. I'm talking thousands. If they're still their, you can't miss it. I swear, this one seal was totally looking at us like "What's up dawg?" as he flashed gang signs with his fins. It was awesome. Definitely recommended.

Hearst Castle is really fuckin cool if you wanna do something touristy. If you want to make it to Cali in a day, then i5 it all the way, don't do the Oregon Coast thing as it's bloody slow (unless you wanna enjoy the nice breathtaking scenery with your bro-friend.

Big Sur is awesome for camping and checking out, but again if you're planning on b-lining it to San Diego or LA for that matter then stay away from the coastlines.

oh a great restaurant in san diego near the lamp district (or whatever its called) is Dicks (lol not a dickroll i swear). It's a theme restaurant where the waiters and bartenders and stuff are complete assholes to the customers. Tell them its your first time there and they'll be extra wickedfirish to ya. It's actually a lot of fun cus you get to be an asshole back and to other customers and they call you names and make fun of you and they throw stuff at you and you get to throw stuff back or be rude to the other customers. Like when you're done with your napkins you can just toss them at another table or flick ice cubes at people at the bar and stuff.

Why would you go on a road trip to visit a chain restaurant?

"Sweet, I've never been to a California TGI Fridays! I wonder if it's different?"

Actually we just thought about another idea, that we could possibly go to Las Vegas sometime during the trip, although it might be a bit of a stretch. Anyone have some idea of how to better Vegas is only like 3 hours from LA)

Vegas is a good 4hr drive from LA (and could be a lot longer depending on traffic)

What you have planned already is a stretch to do in just 8-days!

"Sweet, I've never been to a California TGI Fridays! I wonder if it's different?"
lol he said he's going to san diego. I assume he'll get hungry while he's there and the restaurant only has 7 locations in the US none of which are near washington so he probably hasn't been to it before. 7 locations doesn't exactly make it a mcdonalds so GTFO

If you like animals, check out the wild animal park in san diego as well.

Bingo! its a little out of the way and hot as hell but if you like animal this will be the funnest part of your trip. I highly advise you get the VIP photo tour, you take a small caravan through the actual enclosure and if your lucky gets to feed some giraffe or rhinos. Most fun ive had in quite some time, very cool to see animals in a "more natural" setting

Man I'm getting fucking excited now, leaving in around 13 hours.

From all the advice I'm getting here, it seems like San Diego will be a blast, so we'll definitely spend one night there. I'm in a bit of a dilemma thought because i would love to do the wild animal park or the sd zoo (the WAP seems a bit better maybe from what you guys are saying), but I also fucking love the whole beach/snorkling/boat tour stuff.

So I either spend an extra day in SD, or try to pack as much into that one day as possible.

I will definitely cut out quite of bit of that coastal drive (thanks JayKim) and hit the I-5 once, that would give me a lot more time in LA on Day 3, instead of just the evening.

Dick's Last Resort is NOT your typical chain restaurant. Very unique place to grab a few cold ones and catch some dinner, hang out, etc.

Sounds like there's a lot of us here in San Diego, think it's time for another SoCal Meetup at Jason's office!!!

Six Flags Magic Mountain has a TON of really cool roller coasters if you're into that. X2 is intense.

REALLY true. Best park I've ever been to out of 7 that I have been to before.

In SF, I'd recommend going to alcatraz, check out pier 39, maybe eat at the Cheesecake factory.

Oh and buy some sourdough bread. Epic win.

The only thing I'd change about your trip is I would give yourself more time for driving. Maybe extend the trip by two days and take more time when you drive. Just how I would do it.

Man I'm getting fucking excited now, leaving in around 13 hours.

From all the advice I'm getting here, it seems like San Diego will be a blast, so we'll definitely spend one night there. I'm in a bit of a dilemma thought because i would love to do the wild animal park or the sd zoo (the WAP seems a bit better maybe from what you guys are saying), but I also fucking love the whole beach/snorkling/boat tour stuff.

So I either spend an extra day in SD, or try to pack as much into that one day as possible.

I will definitely cut out quite of bit of that coastal drive (thanks JayKim) and hit the I-5 once, that would give me a lot more time in LA on Day 3, instead of just the evening.

I definitely suggest you stay at LEAST one night in San Diego (stay somewhere near the ocean, saves a lot of time). For the kayak trip, rent the kayaks BEFORE you go to the beach (park in La Jolla close to the beach then walk to rental shops to pay for rental/get life jacket/snorkel gear etc) and then they will provide you with the boats when you get to the beach. There is a private beach next door that my friends and I would usually chill out near (where the best sand is, the rest of La Jolla is meh for just chillin on the beach, too wet).. go up to Torrent Pines Beach (a little north of La Jolla) if you want a cool 1-2 hour hike along the beach.. A+++ for blazing and a cool walk.

I suggest you take highway 1 in portions near Laguna Beach (they have nicceee beaches), San Clemente (awesome beach), Solano Beach (or anywhere after Oceanside really) or I highly recommend you just leave your cars in the train station in south Orange County and take the train which goes right along the coast.. it's one of the nicest train rides in all of California as you go right on the beach and see all the cool ocean cities from the best views.. the train goes right into the trolley system in San Diego, and just get a hotel or stay somewhere in the city and take a cab to La Jolla, etc.. you don't really need a car (except to/from La Jolla and beach you could take a cab)

Have fun..

REALLY true. Best park I've ever been to out of 7 that I have been to before.

In SF, I'd recommend going to alcatraz, check out pier 39, maybe eat at the Cheesecake factory.

Oh and buy some sourdough bread. Epic win.

The only thing I'd change about your trip is I would give yourself more time for driving. Maybe extend the trip by two days and take more time when you drive. Just how I would do it.

You can't forget Ghiradelli square in Fisherman's Wharf which = amazing chocolate

I definitely suggest you stay at LEAST one night in San Diego (stay somewhere near the ocean, saves a lot of time). For the kayak trip, rent the kayaks BEFORE you go to the beach (park in La Jolla close to the beach then walk to rental shops to pay for rental/get life jacket/snorkel gear etc) and then they will provide you with the boats when you get to the beach. There is a private beach next door that my friends and I would usually chill out near (where the best sand is, the rest of La Jolla is meh for just chillin on the beach, too wet).. go up to Torrent Pines Beach (a little north of La Jolla) if you want a cool 1-2 hour hike along the beach.. A+++ for blazing and a cool walk.

I suggest you take highway 1 in portions near Laguna Beach (they have nicceee beaches), San Clemente (awesome beach), Solano Beach (or anywhere after Oceanside really) or I highly recommend you just leave your cars in the train station in south Orange County and take the train which goes right along the coast.. it's one of the nicest train rides in all of California as you go right on the beach and see all the cool ocean cities from the best views.. the train goes right into the trolley system in San Diego, and just get a hotel or stay somewhere in the city and take a cab to La Jolla, etc.. you don't really need a car (except to/from La Jolla and beach you could take a cab)

Have fun..

You got a problem with O'side? ;)

Fisherman's warf, cable car ride, china town for food, Haight St. for hippies, Golden Gate Park, Marin County Brewery, Google for other ideas.
My favorite part of town is the seedy, ethnic part: Mission. There's an interesting mission church on 16th street that was founded in 1776, and great tacquerias everywhere. I specifically recommend Pancho Villa's, one of the most popular. There's lots of old-timey pawn shows in the Mission area. NY doesn't even have these anymore because it's gotten too slick.

Last time I visited I walked up Telegraph Hill and visited the Coit Tower via the South Beach district. There's the Crookest Street (which is actually Lombard Street), and you can take the trolley through Chinatown. Emperor Norton died in front of the St. Mary's church on Grant Ave. and California Street in Chinatown. Members of a gay webmaster forum shouldn't forget about The Castro, capitol of homosexual America.

SF is a great public transportation city. Park your car and take the bus or rail everywhere.

Oh yea... San Diego has some of the hottest girls in the world. You will be amazed. NICE beaches (pun) too.

I go to SD about once a month.

Se San Diego is awesome.

I disagree with going to Dick's Last Resort because it is a chain, and why would you pay money for bartenders to be assholes?

I would not spend too much time in Hollywood, but maybe an afternoon. You can see everything pretty quickly there if you stay on the beaten path.

I definitely favor SD over LA by far, because I am a beach town person. Both are good for nightlife. Gaslamp is a great place for your SD base of operations.

I haven't seen anyone mention Mission Beach in SD, they have a roller coaster there. Pacific Beach is fake tits and MMA fighters, Ocean Beach is mostly bong-toting stoners, and Mission Beach is right in between both of those in terms of vibe and geography.

San Fran: I would check out Fisherman's Wharf, Scoma's Restaurant, The Buena Vista, the Cannery, and the Franciscan are all musts. I would also check out North Beach. I would avoid the Cheesecake Factory as someone else mentioned because again, it is a chain and there isn't anything special about it.

Overall, I would favor spending most of your time in SF and in SD, LA is great too. I just personally prefer SF and SD because I think both of those cities have a true identity to them which is unique.

hey guys so just an update.

We made it to Redding, Ca today, because my buddy is the only one driving so we didn't want to push it too much further. We left Vancouver at 4:00am and go to Redding, Ca around 4:30pm. So far, the drive was extremely gay, but it's nothing i didn't expect since we were on the I-5 the whole time.

Redding is hilariously small, but there's a nice little mexican restaurent we ate t with some really cool guys running it, I ordered thre big burrito and i was shocked by it's size, i barely ate half lol...

Tomorrow we will leave at around 8:00am to SF and will be staying at the fishermans wharf, it seems most things are around this area (pier, golden gate, fishermans wharf, etc..) so it should be cool if we park there and transit thee rest.

After we will head to LA and chill the night, the next day probably go to six flags in LA and the day after that, depending on how we like LA, either stayor go to SD for two days.

I'm thinking about just hitting hollywood the same day as six flags, just go to six flags in the morning and hit the city after That way we could hit SD for two days, and possibly do wild animal safari on day one and the la jolla kayak/snorkling on day 2.

Thats the plan at least... :D