Vancouver to San Diego Roadtrip, Leaving at 4am

HustlinHard

(M)ad Man
Oct 31, 2007
Vancouver
So me and my buddy decided to take one last trip before it's time to hit the books again, and California was the logical choice. Time is going to be pretty limited because we are only going for 8 days (Sat-Sat). This will be my first time in Cali so if there's anything you guys recommend we check out just post it in this thread (preferably sometime in the next few hours).

Here's an outline of of what we have planned:

Day 1 (Sat):
4am: Leave Vancouver
- probably get to Redding, Ca (couple hours away from SF) and sleep there

Day 2 (Sun):
- drive to SF in the morning and spend the entire day there and sleep there

Ideas in SF:
- Golden Gate Bridge
- umm... what else?

Day 3 (Mon):
- drive along the pacific coastal hw from SF to LA, Google Maps told me this would take 10 hours so we would get to LA in the evening.
- BIG SUR WOOHOO!!

Big-Sur-774901.jpg

*Day 3 Evening, Day 4 (Tues), Day 5 (Wed), and Day 6 (Thurs) are all gonna be in LA and/or San Diego for one of those days*

Ideas in LA:
-Six Flags
-Hollywood
-Beaches (Malibu, Huntington, Venice...)
-Beverly Hills/Mulholland Drive
-LA Nightclub(s) (which ones?)

Ideas in SD:
-San Diego Zoo (I'm a big animal nerd)

Day 7 (Fri) will be driving back up along I-5 not sure how far we'll get... Oregon maybe?

Day 8 (Sun)
maybe do some shopping in portland because of there not being any tax, and I've heard there are some great prices on clothing. True or False?

Alright guys so that's what I've got so far. For those of you who have been there already let me know some things that i'm missing that are worthwhile to see, or some things that i've included that are absolutely gay.

Yay or Nay?

If you like animals, check out the wild animal park in san diego as well.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has a TON of really cool roller coasters if you're into that. X2 is intense.

Big sur is nice, check out Carmel as well, nice beach there.

Drive or take the trolley from SD to the Tijuana border for cheap eats, shopping, drinking and debauchery. I have crossed loads of times, and it's like a mad party. (The border crossing is in San Ysidoro, CA.)

Are you departing from Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA?

Go to La Jolla (which is right north of San Diego) and do kayaking on La Jolla Shores beach.. it's incredible.

Drive or take the trolley from SD to the Tijuana border for cheap eats, shopping, drinking and debauchery. I have crossed loads of times, and it's like a mad party. (The border crossing is in San Ysidoro, CA.)

Dont go to TJ right now, its a bad idea. I live 30 min from the boarder and all I hear about is 20 people getting killed in the streets weekly. Go to Pacific Beach, it is the party capitol of San Diego.

Dont go to TJ right now, its a bad idea. I live 30 min from the boarder and all I hear about is 20 people getting killed in the streets weekly. Go to Pacific Beach, it is the party capitol of San Diego.

Also douche/bro capitol of San Diego..

Thanks for the fast replies guys. A bunch of those things sound really cool.

Go to La Jolla (which is right north of San Diego) and do kayaking on La Jolla Shores beach.. it's incredible.

This one in particular looks fucking awesome. But I always thought LA had the nicest beaches? Is there perhaps a "better" alternative somewhere in LA, or not?

I would love to do this! But I'm pretty sure the border is extremely unstable right now, like that Chris R Motive said...

I'm leaving from Vancouver, BC

If you like animals, check out the wild animal park in san diego as well.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has a TON of really cool roller coasters if you're into that. X2 is intense.

Big sur is nice, check out Carmel as well, nice beach there.

Yea the wild animal park was another thing that looked wicked, but I think I might have to pick between the two, because we basically are only going to have 3 days in LA/SD, and probably 2 of those will be LA.

Actually we just thought about another idea, that we could possibly go to Las Vegas sometime during the trip, although it might be a bit of a stretch. Anyone have some idea of how to better Vegas is only like 3 hours from LA)

I like Sea World more then Zoo in SD (shamoos are amazing), go to Getty Museum (free),when driving to SD stop in Laguna Beach its pretty cool there, go to St. Regis Hotel in Laguna, they have very nice botanical garden (free), you may consider Universal in LA, insteed of Six flags, there are waterparks in Irvine and SD.
You can kayak or canoe thru venice beach channels, kind of fun...
Damn there are so many things to do here...

Oh yeah, I would not spend my time going to Venice beach just for sake of it..
No damn parking and bunch of freaks

if you go by Valencia definitely hit up six flags. There's also a hilton there thats cheap and right next to the theme park. The very first ride you should go on is called Tatsu truuuuuuuuuuuuuust me :)

I second that. I've been going on surf trips to mexico since i was a kid, and I won't go near the border right now. It's likely you'll end up over on the beach with your head lying next to you. Ok, that's probably not likely, but I wouldn't chance it right now.

I always tell those visiting SD to take one of the harbor tour boats. It's like an hour, and they take you around the bay, under the Coronado bridge. You get to check out all the Navy warships and if you're lucky you'll get to see some SEAL teams training in the bay.

Wild Animal Park is cool..Don't forget Sea World.

Horse Racing at Del Mar Racetrack is still on. That's always a good time and lots of ladies to look at.

If you have time to check out a Padres game, PetCo park is awesome. Too bad the Pod's suck ass...again.

oh a great restaurant in san diego near the lamp district (or whatever its called) is Dicks (lol not a dickroll i swear). It's a theme restaurant where the waiters and bartenders and stuff are complete assholes to the customers. Tell them its your first time there and they'll be extra wickedfirish to ya. It's actually a lot of fun cus you get to be an asshole back and to other customers and they call you names and make fun of you and they throw stuff at you and you get to throw stuff back or be rude to the other customers. Like when you're done with your napkins you can just toss them at another table or flick ice cubes at people at the bar and stuff.

You can check out Marina Del Rey which is about 10 minutes north of LAX airport. You can rent a boat or jet ski and hang around the bay or take it out to the ocean which is really fun.

Also, you may want to check out some beaches along the "1" highway. Santa Barbara is also very nice.

This one in particular looks fucking awesome. But I always thought LA had the nicest beaches? Is there perhaps a "better" alternative somewhere in LA, or not?

The beaches in LA do not compare to the beaches in San Diego.. the water is disgusting in LA and the beaches are often crowded with bums & trash. The nicest beaches in the greater LA area are down in OC and even further south.. just drive along Highway 1 and stop in each of the beach communities.. they are awesome and generally have some of the better surf spots (although be careful of the locals as they HATE tourists)

The kayaking in La Jolla Cove is a unique trip and you won't find anything similar in ALL of California.. bring snorkel gear too and you can dive in between the Kelp forests and see tons of cool sea life and if the season is right, there are a HUNDREDS of nurse sharks cruising around in the shallows (and you can swim with them too, they are friendly and non-dangerous). I think right now you will see a good amount of the nurse sharks and the water is at the peak of warmness.

just drive along Highway 1 and stop in each of the beach communities.. they are awesome and generally have some of the better surf spots (although be careful of the locals as they HATE tourists)

Just don't stop in Oceanside. And say off my waves, fukin tourists!

After you pass Big Sur, when you get near Hearst Castle, their is a KICKASS beach with a bunch of seals just chillin. I'm talking thousands. If they're still their, you can't miss it. I swear, this one seal was totally looking at us like "What's up dawg?" as he flashed gang signs with his fins. It was awesome. Definitely recommended.

Sounds like a fun trip brotha....
SF is a great city...Lots of great restaurants, sight seeing, etc...
Golden Gate, Alacatraz, Fishermans Wharf, Lombard St, are some tourist spots.

PCH from SF to LA is a massive ass drive. I might consider cruising coast highway til you get your ocean/scenic fix, and then shoot back onto the freeway.

LA will keep you busy

SD I'm an animal guy also...I'd suggest the SD Wild Animal Park over the SD Zoo.
SD Wild Animal Park is in NE SD county, has ziplines, cheetah runs, giraffe feeding, etc... pretty sick. Then can party it up in Pacific Beach.

Have fun bro

Sounds like an awesome trip, man! Keep us updated, I'm looking to do something like this next year out of Vancouver, too.