I grew up with the west coast style of rap and personally like
the following.

Pac
DJ Quick
Whodhini
Easy-E
the young LL cool J

I know each coast got their own style.

people who add MCs to their list because they liked their "younger years" or "just 2 albums" need to GTFO. dope emcees are dope emcees from the start to the finish.

1) Rakim
2) Big L
3) Biggie
4) Mobb Deep (Prime) Havoc & Prodigy work so well together that I think they can count :)
5) Nas

Then Wu-Tang as a group.

people who add MCs to their list because they liked their "younger years" or "just 2 albums" need to GTFO. dope emcees are dope emcees from the start to the finish.

Michael jackson would not be considered the king of pop according to your logic. MJ was bad a$s in his teen and twenties but went wacko after that.

LL is the father of "ghetto fabulous" so tough he can "knock u out" yet silky and smooth enough to find that "around the way girl".

I like him as an emcee from start to end but my emphasis was his early years cause I was a young buck back then try'na emulate his style so that the ladies would dig me but still cool enough to hang with the fellas.

so take your own advice and GTFO!

Some of them die before they crash and burn, so that's not even fair. If you can put out a good 2-3 very good albums it's hard to ask for more than that.

1. Quilly Millz
2. Cassidy
3. Meek Millz
4. Joey Jihad
5. Ya Boy

Mentions: Cyssero, NH, gillie da kid, mike knox, reed dollaz, kaboom, ape gang, daddy-o, ar-ab

mine are;

1) Ice-T
2) Beastie Boys
3) Ice Cube
4) Jay-Z
5) Rakim

I can't believe Ice-T is only mentioned once above. :(