The Time Management Thread

Veneficus:

I suggest you start with either Eat That Frog or Getting Things Done depending on how many projects you have.

In my experience Eat That Frog works great for 20 or less projects. GTD is much better dealing with 50+ projects. When I first started following the GTD mindset I had 111 projects and actually felt in control and that I was not forgetting anything.

For Eat That Frog I posted in the AM section a summary. The book itself is a pretty easy read.

Hope that helps.

I'm seriously considering hiring interns to work with me. I don't really need to employ anyone locally....but.... I recon the societal pressure of their presence would lead to more getting shit done so as to not look like I'm slacking! Beside the interns would be useful in creating the Camtasia videos and standard operating procedures that I have to make for my offshore staff. Ideas?

Time management is a fucker. I use Vitamin-R, Isolator, Rescue Time and SelfControl.

Today I used Self Control (for the first time) set-up as a cron using the instructions below and it's ace. I now can't visit any of my favourite procrastination sites!

Automate an Internet content filter - Mac OS X Hints

P.S. I iz use teh Mac. ;)

Oh and Leechblock is good, but unlike Self Control, it can be bypassed.

I've been using the time boxing (similiar to pomodoro technique) to work on any given task for about 45 minutes, then take 10 to walk around and get some coffee. I've been really liking Workflowy for managing my task lists (credit to justo_tx's thread). It's worth checking out.

and +1 for rescuetime. I like to track how much time I end up spending editing and reviewing my workflowy lists.

Also, it's extremely handy to keep an open spiral notebook lying around to jot down random thoughts / tasks when your sitting at the tv or somewhere away from your computer.

A time management thread being created in WF Shooting the Shit ...

oh the irony

I use time boxing. For me, it's more effective than Pomodero. Both methods use blocks of time, but there's a huge difference: time boxing emphasizes the time blocks as deadlines. Pomodero uses the blocks as simple markers to take a break.

Good ideas in this article.

Another key technique to manage your time: spend very little of it in STS. And avoid "rabbit hole" arguments (Muslim versus Christian, Dems versus Repubs, free market economy versus guvment intervention, etc.).

Don't get me wrong. Even I'll tune in for the latest installment of Subigo versus Hellblazer, but only to learn new, creative insults I can use on others.

I have to look into some of this stuff.
I've been doing it the old fashion way, a todo list

Getting Things Done is way superior to a simple todo list.

If your ToDo list is working then I suggest you read Eat That Frog, because that is also based on a ToDo list.

Pomodoro Technique has been allowing me to have a more laser like focus on whatever I am working with.

So in essence GtD has given me an organization system, Eat That Frog has given me a what to do first system, and Pomodoro how to do it the fastest way possible.

Been using the pomodoro technique for a while.
For anyone interested, here is an extremely basic pomodoro timer.

Attachments

• tomatotimer.zip
    13.3 KB · Views: 5
Hmmm, I think investing time into time management software is probably a waste of time. What I usually try to do is assign myself with a task to do each day that is reasonable and won't take all day to do. That is enough to drive me to get it done. If I feel like doing more when I'm done with that task, I will.

I've found making small progresses daily helps me stay on track with the big picture.

Doit.im is also worth noting

It's very similiar to Things for OS X, except it is web based and its free.

gWToF.png

After trying a shed load of techniques and software, I got my shit together using outlook 2007 of all things. It handles my task-list well, and I use the calendar to visually block-out a very rough plan/timetable for the next few weeks. I just use hourly blocks like 'project01' or 'Tasklist'. No details or actual tasks; it's just to help with estimates and to be realistic with time.

Then, to try to ensure I follow the plan as much as possible, I use a timer/tracker. This is the best I've found for my needs: Grindstone2 It's free, modest footprint, well-designed, fairly simple but feature rich, and not web-based.

I don't like having apps, docs and webpages tracked automatically - it's enough just to manually track how much I've spent on 'project01' or that I've worked the necessary hour on my task-list. KISS. Grindstone's great for that, although it does have some auto-tracking capability too.

But this time management stuff is only helpful if you can overcome procrastination and laziness in the first place, which is actually what most noobs struggle with (as opposed to inefficiency). You can have your week all planned out and your list all prioritised, but it will still all go to shit if you can't step up to the plate and actually force yourself to do all the unpleasant tasks.

In fact, managing every detail on lists, planning Gantt charts, and spending dozens of hours looking for the perfect technique or software can be a form of procrastination in itself.

No books will help you to manage your time. I realized zen meditation can balance all my thoughts and my mind is clearer than the past.

basecamp + backpack + the power of full engagement (book). also if you can get your hands on any of dan Sullivan's stuff, specifically "the cash conversation" with him and joe polish, listen to that too.

energy management > time management.

Oh yes, that book is worth it's weight in gold.

You can either get that one, or the new one by one of the authors called

"The way we are working isn't working"

But I think the first one is better.

::emp::