Spamming suppression files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearbear

Aug 24, 2008
This is my first post and I wanted to get some opinions on a rather controversial subject. Has anybody here actually tried emailing to suppression lists? I'm aware of the canspam act, as well as seed addresses etc., but what are the true punishments for getting caught doing something like this? What are the chances of being caught? Finally, how much could you actually make hitting suppression files? I'm not looking to do this myself, but very curious if anybody has had success doing this.

I always judge things by considering the risk/reward.

I am usually the first one to say "fuck the rules" so let's just take the CanSpam Act out of play for a moment. Think about what is contained in a supression list.

1. People that said, hey don't send me any more mail.
2. Seed accounts for advertisers as well as affiliate networks.
3. Honeypots from anti-spam orgs.
4. The SCREAMER lists! you always want to avoid that...

Doesn't sound like a list that is easily monetized, does it? Couple the shitty list with the current mail enviroment and you aren't going to make very much. So that's the reward part of the risk/reward.

Although one may think that the biggest risk would be the CanSpam Act and the government, I believe the biggest risk lies in the SCREAMER file. I know most major networks have shared the known addresses of several rings of people who continually sue mailers for violating the CanSpam Act. By grabbing the suppression list you almost guarantee that you will be hitting these traps. There's the biggest risk that I see.

Other risks include not getting paid by the network/advertisers. Again, most major networks have seeds and/or use a monitoring services such as LashBack to monitor their suppression files. When they notice you hitting traps on their suppression, you can almost be certain that you are not getting paid for that traffic and probably getting a kick in the ass off the network.

So the risk is high. The reward is almost non-existent. I vote -- I think you should try it. I just wouldn't.

I already Did It and Got kick out and lost all my commissions.

No comments please. as I didn,t know a thing about the CAN SCAM rules

This is one of the dumbest ideas possible. After you do that, you should go over to a bad neighborhood in town, and go door to door calling people racial slangs. Then go to every church, and tell everyone one by one that their is no God and their religion is a waste of time, then run down to the police station and tell each cop that you are a pedophile.

GREAT IDEA!

This is my first post and I wanted to get some opinions on a rather controversial subject. Has anybody here actually tried emailing to suppression lists? I'm aware of the canspam act, as well as seed addresses etc., but what are the true punishments for getting caught doing something like this? What are the chances of being caught? Finally, how much could you actually make hitting suppression files? I'm not looking to do this myself, but very curious if anybody has had success doing this.

This cannot be for real, surely? Sounds to me like just beyond the worst idea in history,and a very quick way to get your leads scrubbed and then booted by your network....jeeping christ.

This cannot be for real, surely? Sounds to me like just beyond the worst idea in history,and a very quick way to get your leads scrubbed and then booted by your network....jeeping christ.

you will get caught, and if run through a network youll be terminated and the advertiser might pursue you legally. You also run this risk of spamming someone like DAN HATES SPAM - A Public Service Website who goes after spammers for a living.

not a smart idea at all. Might as well go rob a bank at gun point, that you might get away with.

I forgot to mention the main reason you shouldn't do it. You will get flamed and catch hell on WickedFire.

Strike One.

I always judge things by considering the risk/reward.

I am usually the first one to say "fuck the rules" so let's just take the CanSpam Act out of play for a moment. Think about what is contained in a supression list.

1. People that said, hey don't send me any more mail.
2. Seed accounts for advertisers as well as affiliate networks.
3. Honeypots from anti-spam orgs.
4. The SCREAMER lists! you always want to avoid that...

Doesn't sound like a list that is easily monetized, does it? Couple the shitty list with the current mail enviroment and you aren't going to make very much. So that's the reward part of the risk/reward.

Although one may think that the biggest risk would be the CanSpam Act and the government, I believe the biggest risk lies in the SCREAMER file. I know most major networks have shared the known addresses of several rings of people who continually sue mailers for violating the CanSpam Act. By grabbing the suppression list you almost guarantee that you will be hitting these traps. There's the biggest risk that I see.

Other risks include not getting paid by the network/advertisers. Again, most major networks have seeds and/or use a monitoring services such as LashBack to monitor their suppression files. When they notice you hitting traps on their suppression, you can almost be certain that you are not getting paid for that traffic and probably getting a kick in the ass off the network.

So the risk is high. The reward is almost non-existent. I vote -- I think you should try it. I just wouldn't.

What if you knew the list had no seed addresses? You'd be looking at a really low quality list of course but would the cost of mailing exceed your revenues? Lots of people seem to be spamming still so I am wondering how they are making it profitable. As I said, I'm not looking to do this for myself I was just wondering how the whole spamming game works. What's up with some of these useless responses?

Status
Not open for further replies.