rss scraping and 'auto blogging'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that fucked up, it should be

http://feeds.technorati.com/search/Lindsay+Lohan{space}?authority=a4&language=en

(where {space} is the space)

that'll be a problem with my script, one sec and i'll check it out

edit: I couldn't find anything wrong, Smashed could you post the technorati part of the script onhere so i can see which one you are using?

Yeah sure, it's
Code:
echo 'http://feeds.technorati.com/search/' . $keyword . '?authority=a4&language=en<br>';

Something weird I just noticed is that it leaves these spaces for all of the feeds which are generated from my keywords.txt file except the last keyword - the feeds which are generated for the last keyword don't have any spaces in (they are correct).

edit: my code'll be here in a second

You think it's possible to grab fulltext feeds instead of little snippets. Fulltext feeds would make killer autoblogs. Here's a great source for killer fulltext feeds:

keyword « WordPress.com Tag Feed

But somehow scraping fulltext posts from search results would be much better. I would pay good $$ for a script that did that....

What's up with WP-o-Matic?

It doesn't want to take ANY kind of feed! I always get the red X sign at the end of the line when I try adding a feed.

Anyone has that problem too?

HH

You think it's possible to grab fulltext feeds instead of little snippets. Fulltext feeds would make killer autoblogs. Here's a great source for killer fulltext feeds:

keyword « WordPress.com Tag Feed

But somehow scraping fulltext posts from search results would be much better. I would pay good $$ for a script that did that....

Yeah, they'd also result in a lot more copyright complaints. Can't really claim fair use if you republish the whole post.

If you aren't concerned about trackback links you could just not attribute, but it's an ethical thing really. Regardless of (outdated or over-zealous) copyright laws it's just a case of treating others how you would like to be treated.

Something weird I just noticed is that it leaves these spaces for all of the feeds which are generated from my keywords.txt file except the last keyword - the feeds which are generated for the last keyword don't have any spaces in (they are correct).

edit: my code'll be here in a second

check your keywords.txt to see if there is a space on each line after the keyword. if you copy/paste from a web page to a txt file, it will sometimes add spaces when you don't want them.

Has anyone running auto blogs had any problems with google paying out?

Sometime today i will have made my first $100 with adsense off of them and i assume google's going to check out my sites before they pay me so im a little worried...

check your keywords.txt to see if there is a space on each line after the keyword. if you copy/paste from a web page to a txt file, it will sometimes add spaces when you don't want them.
Thanks for the suggestion - I checked but there are no spaces.

I've got a bunch of autoblogs running now, but traffic and CTR is pretty weak. I've run most of them through Eli's QUIT, where should I go from here? Is there a little bit of a window for things to get rolling? It's only been a few days.

I've got a bunch of autoblogs running now, but traffic and CTR is pretty weak. I've run most of them through Eli's QUIT, where should I go from here? Is there a little bit of a window for things to get rolling? It's only been a few days.

According to Eli's post about SEO Empire (if I remember correctly :D) autoblogs get most of their traffic from the trackbacks and not from SERPS.

What you could do to increase your traffic is to make sure you generate enough trackbacks to other blogs. After a while, since the autoblog self initiates the blog update, is like a snowball effect.

WP-o-Matic and cron jobs... (hostgator)

for the life of me i cant get the jobs to run.

wp-o-matic says to put this in my cron tab:
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/ftp http://sub.domain.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cron.php?code=101

tried it and doesn't update the blog

also tried:

/usr/local/bin/php /accountname/public_html/subdomain/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cron.php?code=101

/usr/bin/php /home/accountname/public_html/subdomain/wp-cron.php

ideas?

According to Eli's post about SEO Empire (if I remember correctly :D) autoblogs get most of their traffic from the trackbacks and not from SERPS.

What you could do to increase your traffic is to make sure you generate enough trackbacks to other blogs. After a while, since the autoblog self initiates the blog update, is like a snowball effect.

I think blog and ping as a model is dead/dying- antispam tools are getting too good, and people are less likely to visit trackbacks.

I think blog and ping as a model is dead/dying- antispam tools are getting too good, and people are less likely to visit trackbacks.

I agree. But for the same reason you can't rank in the SERPS. As I see it autoblogs its just the beginning. You could go deeper and more complex and then try for the SERPs.

WP-o-Matic and cron jobs... (hostgator)

for the life of me i cant get the jobs to run.

wp-o-matic says to put this in my cron tab:
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/ftp http://sub.domain.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cron.php?code=101

tried it and doesn't update the blog

also tried:

/usr/local/bin/php /accountname/public_html/subdomain/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cron.php?code=101

/usr/bin/php /home/accountname/public_html/subdomain/wp-cron.php

ideas?

i found the answer to this issue. i asked hostgator to turn on curl then used the following command.

/usr/bin/curl
/accountname/public_html/subdomain/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cron.php?code=101

my blogs updated this morning

I agree. But for the same reason you can't rank in the SERPS. As I see it autoblogs its just the beginning. You could go deeper and more complex and then try for the SERPs.

The trick is to not look like an autoblog, then you will do GREAT in the SERPS. I've got a PR5 autoblog that I am constantly getting blogroll requests from my niche in, because they dont realize it's a splog.

Customize your template, rewrite the RSS feeds, and you're in business.
Takes more time and doesn't scale, but it's worth it.

I got wordpress MU working a few days back, but only in subdirectory form. Is it worth my time to contact hostgator (my host) and get them to add wildcard DNS stuff so I can use subdomains? Or should I just stick with subdirectories for the autoblogs?

ok, so i got another DMCA notice today.

is this part of the game or am i missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.