Rehab

i just watched an episode of 'intervention' the other day about a guy who drank a case of beer per day, and his wife drank almost that much daily with him. she tried to stop cold turkey, and 3 days into it she had a seizure and died.

I didn't say it never happens bro, just that it's unlikely to happen, and has never happened in my experience.

I didn't say it never happens bro, just that it's unlikely to happen, and has never happened in my experience.

i could dissect your post guerilla-style to point out all the inconsistencies and flip-flopping in what you said, but it's early and i've got shit to do today.

Booze definitely can kill you on the detox. Booze and benzos are the only ones that can from what I know. Depends how much and how long you have been drinking for though of course...

If it's a lot and you have somebody responsible around then you could try tapering (lol) and/or using benzos (sensibly) outside of the medical system. Not sure rehab will actually help apart from the physical detoxification process.. You need to actually want to quit and not through just through circumstance. Try reading this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Control-Alcohol-Allen-Carr/dp/1848374658"]Easy Way to Control Alcohol: Amazon.co.uk: Allen Carr: 9781848374652: Books[/ame]

i could dissect your post guerilla-style to point out all the inconsistencies and flip-flopping in what you said, but it's early and i've got shit to do today.

But you didn't take into consideration that it's early for me too, and it is a complicated subject.

Perhaps that's because I have real life experience with the subject, yet the idiot who negged me before (for legitimately trying to help someone), does not.

So, when you don't have things to do, perhaps you could find time to tell me what was wrong with my post? I will say it again - it was my personal opinion to try to help someone, not to be "dissected".

I tried to help someone out and I get berated for it?

Maybe next time I shouldn't bother.

Based on my experience.

Rehab is a terrible idea, you're with a bunch of other druggies focusing on whatever you're quitting.

This is good advice.

Best way is to go visit someone, a relative preferably, who lives in the country for a few weeks/month. Somewhere you don't know anyone and won't have access.
This is not.

@OP you need to fix this shit by yourself, you are on your own.

I have not had a drink or any other drugs in 5 months and 12 days. This is how I did it:

• I moved. Change of scene which finally worked for me. I've tried small town living before and got bored out of my mind, so this time I picked a laid back place with all the amenities of a city. Phuket, Thailand in case you're wondering. For one whole month before I moved here I lived in Bangkok and ended up living the same destructive way that I did back in India. I was in Bangkok last week and the traffic is a major cause of frustration and anxiety. I came very close to drinking again and am I glad to be out of that shithole.
  • I exercise. Religiously. I don't give a shit how many emails I need to get back to or who lives or dies. I get in my workout as soon as I wake up.
  • For the first ~2 months I relied on Valium to get to sleep. Be very careful with this. But know that it is a caveat of exercising and sobering up at the same time. When you can't get to sleep is when your brain will play games with you. And the fitter you get, the more energy you will have. Combined with the insomnia from the early days of sobriety it can be very difficult to fall asleep.
  • I discovered meditation. The shit works. Read the thread on here about it. There is some very precise advice (just focus on breathing and clear your mind). Practice it daily. Not only is it a good way to de-stress but you will start seeing things soon that you miss out on otherwise. Not trippy ghosts or colors but major improvements in creativity and focus.
  • Stop pushing yourself. Other than my daily exercise regimen, I simply do not give much of a fuck these days. I'm just spinning my wheels and am making just enough money to keep rolling along. You want to stay away from stress in all it's forms until you get your shit together. You can only make money if you're alive. Just coast and vegetate for a while. This might sound like anathema for an entrepreneur and horrible advice, but you will only kill yourself if you don't accept this. You can't just sober up all of a sudden and decide to get back to work. Think of it as a transition time, to marshal your resources.
  • The longer you stay off of booze and drugs, combined with meditation, the more smarter you will see yourself get. And you will value it a lot more. Time is your only chance. Think of it like running from a fire. Obviously, the more miles you put between it and yourself the less you will get burned.
  • Find sober companions to do sober stuff with. Do whatever you have to. You're on a marketing forum so you should be able to figure this out based on your hobbies, location etc. Completely delete and cut off drinking and using buddies, don't even talk to them on the phone.
As for rehab and 12 step, it's up to you and the kind of people in the facility or group. I went to A.A meetings here and the people (all whites, mostly Americans and Aussies) are so nice and friendly that it was almost funny for me compared to where I'm coming from. They even hand out cookies and badges/stars and shit at the meetings. If you have an external locus of control, it may work for you. If you're a lone wolf it probably won't.

I have real life experience with the subject, yet the idiot who negged me before (for legitimately trying to help someone), does not.

How do you know that? You just made this shit up and base your "argument" on it. You have zero information on my experience.

Re-read your shitpost above and see how stupid you look. "I'm not a doctor but I think doctors are wrong! Baa baa my rich experience lets me give life-threatening advice".

As for your "lol" at my "wisdom" - yes, staying clean is easy once you get clean. If you WANT to stay clean obviously. I was addressing someone who WANTS to quit and not just go to a rehab out of boredom.

a few perc 30's for a few days, and stopping drinking is very easy.

Word, picking up another substance is the way to go.

So, when you don't have things to do, perhaps you could find time to tell me what was wrong with my post? I will say it again - it was my personal opinion to try to help someone, not to be "dissected".

Well for one you don't tell someone it's extremely unlikely because of your one case scenario. Alcoholism is one of the worst drugs/substances to withdraw from, it's absolutely dangerous. So fuck you for saying that it's perfectly safe to cold turkey it.

Faggot.

Next time say "in my gay opinion, because I was perfectly fine afterward, withdrawing from alcohol is safe. Please do not take my word for it, though, and consider consulting a doctor, or anyone smarter than myself, for that matter, before beginning your detox."

How do you know that? You just made this shit up and base your "argument" on it. You have zero information on my experience.

Re-read your shitpost above and see how stupid you look. "I'm not a doctor but I think doctors are wrong! Baa baa my rich experience lets me give life-threatening advice".

As for your "lol" at my "wisdom" - yes, staying clean is easy once you get clean. If you WANT to stay clean obviously. I was addressing someone who WANTS to quit and not just go to a rehab out of boredom.

That's not a contradiction though is it - stating that I'm not a doctor and saying that I don't agree with doctors? That's just stating a fact and my personal view of doctors.

I know this is Wickedfire, and that I joined recently; but you must be a real asshole to neg me for trying to help someone. You don't even have to agree with what I said - my intentions were good.

You on the other hand haven't even posted anything worth reading. Just childish trolling and insults. So what is your personal experience then? I'd love to know.

It depends how heavily you have been drinking. I've had problems with substance abuse in the past and drinking. But the thing is, stopping drinking won't kill you (I'm not a doctor, just my opinion).

That's why when doctors say "Are you sure you should stop cold turkey? You may have a stroke." I call bullshit, because unless you are drinking hard liqueur from the moment you wake up, to the the moment you go to bed, every single day, then it's highly doubtful.

Even if you do what I just said, it's still unlikely. This is all from my own personal experience. You will just feel anxious for a few days and a bit shakey more than likely. I would check yourself into a inpatient detox for a couple of weeks, if you have never detoxed before OP. The thing is, unless you have the right mindset/support when you come out, you will go straight to the bar when you come out.

The reason I suggest this even though I think it's pointless, is because they will give you Valium to make sure you don't have a stroke or anything, if you are really that worried.

As for rehab, that is someone's personal choice, and unless you have actually been there yourself, I wouldn't just tell you OP that it's bullshit etc. That is terrible advice. How could you possibly know that if you don't have an addiction problem and have never been to rehab yourself?

Bottom line - you need a decent therapist who will work with you on your own mental issues as to why you abuse whatever it is before you even consider going to rehab.

Detoxing from alcohol is serious business. Especially if you're in some police state country where you can't even score Valium without a script. Just check into an ER or detox clinic for a week.

If you're going to DIY you absolutely need Valium or some other benzo on hand. That, and B12 shots and hydration. That's all they really give you in professional detox. And presumably, upsell a rehab program. But too many people think they can DIY and fuck it up on day 3 or 4. I've seen perfectly rational people have a hangover and swear that they don't want to touch alcohol again, only to beg for it as soon as the shakes, racing pulse and sweating kick in. And you definitely don't want to mix Valium and alcohol.

The wizard gave you some fake brains scarecrow.

I'll explain my problem with your posts one last time in simple words:

...neg me for trying to help someone. You don't even have to agree with what I said - my intentions were good.

I negged you for giving life-threatening advice.

You on the other hand haven't even posted anything worth reading.

I advised OP to stay under some sort of medical supervision while detoxing.

So what is your personal experience then? I'd love to know.

What makes you a worthy audience for any stories?

Well done Uncle Tony.

That's not a contradiction though is it - stating that I'm not a doctor and saying that I don't agree with doctors? That's just stating a fact and my personal view of doctors.

I know this is Wickedfire, and that I joined recently; but you must be a real asshole to neg me for trying to help someone. You don't even have to agree with what I said - my intentions were good.

You on the other hand haven't even posted anything worth reading. Just childish trolling and insults. So what is your personal experience then? I'd love to know.

I probably agree with you in that doctors are going to err on the side of caution and that you would have to have been drinking a lot for a long time.. BUT everybodies make up / constitution is different. I know somebody who got epilepsy from drinking heavily at a young age and he wasn't drinking any more than most of us at the time. Pro tip: It's the grand-mal seizures that kill, hence the Valium.

So, well intentioned or not, shitty advice is shitty. (Although better than a lot of contributions towards cancer threads on here - I'll give you that.)

Word, picking up another substance is the way to go.

Well for one you don't tell someone it's extremely unlikely because of your one case scenario. Alcoholism is one of the worst drugs/substances to withdraw from, it's absolutely dangerous. So fuck you for saying that it's perfectly safe to cold turkey it.

Faggot.

Next time say "in my gay opinion, because I was perfectly fine afterward, withdrawing from alcohol is safe. Please do not take my word for it, though, and consider consulting a doctor, or anyone smarter than myself, for that matter, before beginning your detox."

I'll just leave it there, because when someone resorts to calling me a "faggot" - that says it all for me.

I'm not here to argue with kids. If you do have an intelligent response then I may reply.

And for the record I never said "It was perfectly safe" - you just pulled that out your arse.

The wizard gave you some fake brains scarecrow.

I'll explain my problem with your posts one last time in simple words:

I negged you for giving life-threatening advice.

No, you negged me to be an asshole, please tell me what "life threatening advice" I gave

I advised OP to stay under some sort of medical supervision while detoxing.

So did I - I said he should be in the hands of a professional therapist

What makes you a worthy audience for any stories?

You have none, so it's irrelevant

Exactly what I said.

Not everyone can DIY and if they fuck up (drink again) they can die in that condition, especially with the Valium in their system. And not everyone can give themselves intramuscular B12 injections or hook up an IV drip line either. It's usually only junkies or someone from a medical or military background that know how to do that. And the shots are essential because in bad withdrawal you can't even hold down a glass of water. Constant retching and the sweats contribute to the dehydration as well.

Not everyone can DIY and if they fuck up (drink again) they can die in that condition, especially with the Valium in their system. And not everyone can give themselves intramuscular B12 injections or hook up an IV drip line either. It's usually only junkies or someone from a medical or military background that know how to do that. And the shots are essential because in bad withdrawal you can't even hold down a glass of water. Constant retching and the sweats contribute to the dehydration as well.

First off, thank you for your polite and sensible reply.

It seems you know more about it than me. I guess maybe I do take more risks than most people. I've ignored doctors advice in the past and come out fine. Perhaps I am wrong in that sense; but I never meant to come across as stating facts, when they are just my own experience.

I've had more sweats and symptoms (even hallucinating), coming off Effexor, and that's just an anti depressant, but the withdrawl was on par with heroin. It took me 4 months for it to be completely gone from my system.

First off, thank you for your polite and sensible reply.

It seems you know more about it than me. I guess maybe I do take more risks than most people. I've ignored doctors advice in the past and come out fine. Perhaps I am wrong in that sense; but I never meant to come across as stating facts, when they are just my own experience.

I've had more sweats and symptoms (even hallucinating), coming off Effexor, and that's just an anti depressant, but the withdrawl was on par with heroin. It took me 4 months for it to be completely gone from my system.

Yeah, there are degrees of withdrawal and if you can hold down food it is not as life threatening as if you're retching and a pulse so fast that you might get a heart attack any moment. It gets worse every time though, and age definitely doesn't help either.

That being said, quitting is the easier part. Staying quit is the real challenge. Worst thing that can happen while quitting is that you die. Which is hardly as bad as living a miserable the-rest-of-your-life, unless you really change how you think and operate. The guy above that said that is a war is spot on. It really is war. The 12 step people call it (not changing) "dry drunk".

You can learn to like the war. For one thing it always keeps you alert and on the edge. Never a dull moment. OP should look into fighting (martial arts) if you make it past the first few weeks and get yourself into shape. It's a great way to feel alive.

Yeah, there are degrees of withdrawal and if you can hold down food it is not as life threatening as if you're retching and a pulse so fast that you might get a heart attack any moment. It gets worse every time though, and age definitely doesn't help either.

That being said, quitting is the easier part. Staying quit is the real challenge. Worst thing that can happen while quitting is that you die. Which is hardly as bad as living a miserable the-rest-of-your-life, unless you really change how you think and operate. The guy above that said that is a war is spot on. It really is war. The 12 step people call it (not changing) "dry drunk".

You can learn to like the war. For one thing it always keeps you alert and on the edge. Never a dull moment. OP should look into fighting (martial arts) if you make it past the first few weeks and get yourself into shape. It's a great way to feel alive.

Pretty much agree with everything you have said. I'm not the OP though. If he really does have a serious problem, I would suggest he take your advice.

As for fighting, and I assume you mean MMA - bravo sir.

It helps me immensely in my own battles. I do BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and it's like therapy for me.

OP - Take notes, or action on this, whatever, just do it.