Peter Schiff - Austrian Scholars Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really. It's not so hard to understand. You state that belief determines reality. And you're right. Belief determines individual reality. Which is really individual reaction to objective reality.

You're arguing that the shadow on the cave wall is reality, when in fact it's just a facsimile of reality.

2. NONLOCALITY AND THE TRANSACTIONAL INTERPRETATION OF QUANTUM MECHANICS
[SIZE=-1]Quantum mechanics (QM) was invented in the late 1920's when an embarrassing body of new experimental facts from the microscopic world couldn't be explained by the accepted physics of the period. Heisenberg, Schrõdinger, Dirac, and others used a remarkable combination of intuition and brilliance to devise clever ways of "getting the right answer" from a set of arcane mathematical procedures. They somehow accomplished this without understanding in any basic way what their mathematics really meant. The mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics is now trusted by all physicists, its use clear and unambiguous. But even now, six decades later, its meaning remains controversial.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The part of the theory that gives meaning to the mathematical formalism is called the interpretation. For quantum mechanics there are several competing interpretations, with no general consensus as to which should be used. The orthodox interpretation of quantum mechanics used (sparingly) in most physics textbooks was developed primarily by Bohr and Heisenberg and is called the Copenhagen interpretation (CI). It takes a "don't ask -- don't tell" approach to the formalism which focuses exclusively on the outcomes of physical measurements and which forbids the practitioner from asking questions about possible underlying mechanisms that produce the observed effects.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The nonlocality of the quantum mechanics formalism is a source of some difficulty for the Copenhagen interpretation. It is accommodated in the CI through Heisenberg's "knowledge interpretation" which views the quantum mechanical state vector (y) as a mathematically-encoded description of the state of observer knowledge rather than as a description of the objective state of the system observed. For example, in 1960 Heisenberg wrote, "The act of recording, on the other hand, which leads to the reduction of the state, is not a physical, but rather, so to say, a mathematical process. With the sudden change of our knowledge also the mathematical presentation of our knowledge undergoes of course a sudden change." The knowledge interpretation's account of state vector collapse and nonlocality as changes in knowledge is internally consistent, but it is rather subjective, intellectually unappealing, and the source of much of the recent misuse of the Copenhagen interpretation (e.g., "observer-created reality").[/SIZE]

Quantum Nocality - Cramer
http ://www.npl.washington.edu/npl/int_rep/qm_nl.html

You originally attempted to state that all reality is subjective, therefore both you and guerilla were right (or wrong, whatever)

Copenhagen Interpretation - http: //abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/21st_century_science/lectures/lec15.html

Many-Worlds Hypothesis :

• collapse of the wave function still presents a problem for deterministic physics
  • solution is to not collapse the wave function, rather split reality
  • many worlds hypothesis is allows for the existence of all quantum states, observation (i.e. individual perception - my emphasis) splits the worlds containing the states

"[SIZE=-1]According to many-worlds all the possible outcomes of a quantum interaction are realised. The wavefunction, instead of collapsing at the moment of observation, carries on evolving in a deterministic fashion, embracing all possibilities embedded within it. All outcomes exist simultaneously but do not interfere further with each other, each single prior world having split into mutually unobservable but equally real worlds.[/SIZE]"

Implied here my contention that consciousness, beliefs, etc. is actually playing a role in what is being called "objective reality" - on the quantum level.
many_universes i e right and wrong co existing both as fact.jpg

Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research - Conclusive studies that have withstood all tests -http: //www.princeton.edu/~pear/

"The human mind and the information processes machines seem to be affecting each other...the results we find are unlikely by chance to better than one part to 10^12"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UfZsYGBa_s"]YouTube - The PEAR Proposition - (t)[/ame]

First of all thankyou for dredging up a thread that has been dead for 20 days or so, I am quite enjoying the speeches posted by guerilla at the top.

However:

The act of measuring something changes it, in many cases imperceptibly. The act of measuring your CTR may affect your CTR. The act of measuring the speed at which your car travels slows the car. There are millions of examples of this, we need not discuss them all but suffice to say that no measurement is ever accurate 100%

As you get closer and closer to the quanta, the very smallest building blocks of the universe, the act of measuring their momenutm affects the position and the act of measuring the position affects the momentum.

This makes knowing the particles position and momentum at the same time impossible.

But the particle does have a position and a momentum at all times, the objective reality of that particle exists beyond our capability to measure it.

First of all thankyou for dredging up a thread that has been dead for 20 days or so....

Is this sarcasm? If so, it needn't be.

I was doing some leisure reading on physics and decided to share some things I found interesting.

If there's a problem with that, I can't fathom why.....

The act of measuring something changes it, in many cases imperceptibly.

There's a difference in science between observation and measurement. If you care to know, have a look at some of the research I linked to. Also, if you'll notice I only linked to .edu's (and 1 .org - the official website of the Nobel Prize). In other words, reputable universities who have used controlled experiments and the scientific method in their development of certain theories.

Again, it's shooting the shit so no biggie if you aren't interested.....

But the particle does have a position and a momentum at all times, the objective reality of that particle exists beyond our capability to measure it.

IS IT a PARTICLE.....or it is a WAVE? See the results of the double slit experiment and CI (below). You see particles - I see waves. Name one study that's conclusively determined that it is a particle OR a wave and not both.
The "observation" that it is a particle is as "right" and the observation that it is a wave - that was my whole point actually - wave-particle duality

Also, check out
http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/pdfs/Double-Slit.pdf
http: //www.princeton.edu/~pear/pdfs/Double-Slit.pdf

if you are interested....

I may sound like a broken record, but I'd like to restate something.

I have no goal of proving anything as "right" or "wrong" - merely shedding light on a contention whose premises are based on "evidence" derived using the scientific method and other "objective" means pure rationalists hold so dear. By the way, I am by no means a pure rationalist.

the objective reality of that particle exists beyond our capability to measure it.

This is a theory and not an "objective fact". I define "objective" fact as a conclusion drawn from premises that are considered "conclusive" - and the point is as much as we'd like to think of it as "conclusive", at the quantum level, the laws of classical physics do not apply. This is not my "opinion" this is based on generally accepted theories in quantum physics - you know about the Copenhagen Interpretation so I don't have to restate it....

As you get closer and closer to the quanta, the very smallest building blocks of the universe

This is another theoretical position and not an "objective fact" (see my definition above). Remember how at one time molecules were considered the smallest building block of the universe....then atoms....and so on?

According to String theory, M-Theory, aka Super String Theory, the smallest building blocks of the universe are actually theoretical "strings" whose varying vibratory rate determine what we know as "matter" or "energy" - of course we know that the two are interconvertible and interchangeable...

It might take the masses a while to grasp this but most people are still holding on to the classical view of physics (hundreds of years old) where things are really cut and dry vs. the quantum view where things aren't - "spooky stuff at a distance" as Einstein called it.

M-theory, the theory formerly known as Strings (Cambridge University)

M Theory, String Theory and other scientific theories which seek to explain the nature of physical reality aren't fringe science; it just hasn't reached the level of the masses yet. Again, if you are interested and take the time, you'll see this contention is based on scientific theory that's EVERY BIT as "legitimate" as that which the average person would find "believable" or "plausible".

Lastly, you mentioned "quanta". As you know Max Planck won the 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics for his discovery of the quanta. He's generally known as the father of quantum physics.

Do you find it ironic that someone who is regarded as one of the greatest scientists to ever live, whose life's work was based on his application of objective principles and observation would have THIS to say about the role that something as subjective as MIND may very well play in physical reality:

“All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.”

The above is not taken out of context, nor is it a misquote. Actually it's one of his most famous quotes so google it if you like and you'll find ample confirmation....

I really don't want to get into a religious or metaphysical discussion nor convince you or anyone else of anything. I'm just curious how people who value strict objectivism and rationality react when "scientists" using controlled experiments and "objective" scientific method draw conclusions that may not seem rational, logical or objective based on a view of reality that is still grounded in classical physics not quantum physics.

Just some thoughts...

0f72451090c0a3ab0fc256c751a3216988480732

Reactions: guerilla
No doubt.

At least some good came from the self-aggrandizing thread bump.

@all

Sexist snipes not an objective analysis of credible theories. Sadly, I watched the video you put up along with visiting virtually every link you've posted to try to learn something. As usual you've demonstrated your unmatched ability to prove yourself right rather than a deep and sincere interest in exploring different points of you - very civilized, logical and objective.

As you like....

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.[/FONT][/FONT]

Is this sarcasm? If so, it needn't be.

I was doing some leisure reading on physics and decided to share some things I found interesting.

If there's a problem with that, I can't fathom why.....

It was honest thanks, I very much enjoyed the audio posted above.

There is a difference between observation and measurement, but that is now what the research you posted was "about"

Particle wave duality is indeed a puzzle, but what I am trying to point out is that the particle/wave's existence as either a particle or wave is independent of observation.

There can be no observation without some form of measurement, there can be no form of measurement without some form of interference. Therefore, our observation interferes with the observed.

Sorry, I erred by using "particle". Either as a wave or a particle, the objective reality of the particle/wave exists beyond our capability to measure it. That is to say it does not cease to exist when it is not being observed.

I am not arguing whether or not the objective reality can be changed by thought, observation or other means, that is clear. I am saying that things can exist even when they are not being observed.

I have made another language error, I meant quanta not in the sense of "the packet of light energy" but in the general sense of "the smallest parts". My point was not that a particular smallest part exists or does not exist, or a particular part is divisible or indivisible, merely that as we move closer to the smallest parts of a system the effect of measuring those parts becomes a significantly greater part of what we are, in fact, measuring.

You continue on at the end of your post discussing String theory, then move on to some sort of quote about the existence of a conscious mind running things, then make a broad statement about my relative rationality.

But you haven't addressed my core point:

Things can have an objective reality independent of external observation. Observation may and indeed can change things that are being observed, but observation is not required for things to exist.

After listening to Peter, I came to a conclusion that renting is better than owning (a house). Does this apply to car as well?

I am not arguing whether or not the objective reality can be changed by thought, observation or other means, that is clear. I am saying that things can exist even when they are not being observed.
Thanks for clarifying that - I think I misunderstood. You know, this point of yours (above), really "keeps me up at night" so to speak sometimes - either when I've had way too much wine or am shooting the shit with friends at a dinner party or whatever, lol.....seriously it's true...

I mean everything that made "sense" to me up until about 2003 would have me saying "like duh! of course it's there when you're not observing it!"
Until a prof rocked my world one day in a lecture about the "Schrödinger's Cat Experiment" and I learned about EPR paradox and String Theory.

By the way, if you're unfamiliar, it really is fascinating. Here's a 1 minute synopsis from a BBC special it's one of the most thought provoking physics experiments of the past 100 years (IMHO):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-jCuV7BoU"]YouTube - Schrodinger's Cat for real[/ame]

But I'd like to get back to your point because it's really important. And for the record it "feels" right to me that things can exist even when they are not being observed...

The problem is, one can't dismiss credible theories that were developed using the same methods as all other "objective" theories, that suggest something really "strange" going on.

That would mean throwing scientific integrity out the window. True scientists, accept the conclusions that are derived from indisputable premises, no matter what those conclusions say. By the way, please note I'm not suggesting AT ALL that this - for lack of a better phrase "competing" theory - is "conclusive" or "proven without a doubt".

Maybe that's why Einstein called it "spooky stuff at a distance..." and Neils Bohr said "he didn't like it one bit" (i.e. certain findings and theories of quantum physics).

According to the Schrödinger's cat experiment (again) and the theory of quantum indeterminacy or the observer's paradox: the observation or measurement itself affects an outcome, so that the outcome as such does not exist unless the measurement is made.

Then, came String Theory. Now, I'm warning you Neo, don't go down this hole if you're not prepared for it, because there's no coming back, lol - sometimes I wish I hadn't:

(from an American Public Television Special -NOVA )
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGxGkTE_N6I"]YouTube - The Elegant Universe - III: The 11th Dimension 5/6[/ame]

If String Theory is correct, there are multiple dimensions i.e. multiple realities and thus there can be no way to separate existence from observation.

As many times as I've read about this, it's still hard to grasp, sounds almost comical. But how can we dismiss theories derived from the very methods that have given rise to virtually everything we accept as true and plausible in the objective, physical world?

But to get back to your point:

1) Things can have an objective reality independent of external observation.

I want to first lay a definition down for what we are calling "objective" so that we can be on the same page. Again, if it's a little hastily put together, thanks for being patient:

• undistorted by emotion or personal bias; based on observable phenomena; "an objective appraisal"; "objective evidence"
  • belonging to immediate experience of actual things or events; "objective benefits"; "an objective example"; "there is no objective evidence of anything of the kind"
    (there are a few other definitions but these are the most topically relevant)

2) Observation may and indeed can change things that are being observed

3) but observation is not required for things to exist.

Now, the question I can't get away from is this: if "objective" is defined as based on "observable phenomena....", is it possible to have "objective" reality - BY DEFINITION - if we do not observe (3)?

According to the Schrödinger's cat experiment and the theory of quantum indeterminacy or the observer's paradox: the observation or measurement itself affects an outcome, so that the outcome as such does not exist unless the measurement is made. (That is, there is no single outcome unless it is observed.)

If we take seriously any of the contentions made by the quantum Indeterminacy Theory and by String Theory (from above), what legitimate science is suggestion is....a little "crazy", for lack of a better word.

It's almost like saying that the only "objective" thing that exists is your own personal awareness of existing. Why? Because you are experiencing it (see definition of "objective").

What or how you are experiencing may be up for discussion but it can't be objectively denied that you are experiencing it because you do indeed have "objective" facts - i.e. it's a) observable phenomena and it is based on experience. What you are observing may be debated, but the fact that you ARE OBSERVING IT and YOU ARE EXPERIENCE IT cannot be debated.

You know Descartes said "I think therefore, I am" - he was more of a scientist than a philosopher - is this what he meant? This is a timeless question that could possible have as much to do with quantum theoretical physics as it does philosophy - some call both systems of thought diametrically opposed.

You continue on at the end of your post discussing String theory, then move on to some sort of quote about the existence of a conscious mind running things, then make a broad statement about my relative rationality.

Sorry, this was poor writing. I wasn't referring to you personally, with regard to your rationality, it was my "stream of consciousness" response to something I remember reading several pages back in the conversation. That's what happens when it's been weeks since you were discussing something, lol

Also, the part about the conscious mind was my posing a rather disturbing question (at least it is to me) out loud?

What are we to think when the founder of modern quantum physics contends that all we know as "objective" reality is created by something that by definition is "subjective", i.e. the mind?

This is a question, not a rebuttal to any point made. What made me think of it was the fact that you mentioned quanta and Max Planck won the Nobel Prize in Physics for his discovery of the quanta.

Does what he said sound crazy with you? I've looked all around. The quote is not taken out of context -what in the world did he mean??

Lastly, I'd like to state an opinion here and this has nothing to do with scientifically supported theory.....

I feel that the average person's reality is still shaped by classical physics and I wonder how that affects what we perceive as legit or not, what we question, etc.

Under classical physics, life is far more deterministic. Under quantum physics, "reality" is a lot less straight forward. How is this reconciled?

To state it again, what do we do when the same theories and scientific methods that have revealed to us everything we accept as objective facts in the natural, physical word, yield evidence and results which almost defy logic and rationality? If we throw those results out, must we by necessity of remaining objective throw out everything else we know as well?

.....Who knows.

To tie it all together, one my major challenges as a former student of economics was the three major assumptions upon which most widely accepted economic theory is/was built. How much can you trust theories based on assumptions that could possibly be at odds with so many other theories that have undergone rigid, comprehensive scientific exploration?

I mean if I state a law that "all cats are black" even if there are 6.5 billion cats on the planet, if I find just 1 cat that isn't black, the above statement is no longer a "law" or "fact".....

...Anyway, the Elegant Universe videos are pretty cool, check the whole series out if you haven't already.It's even something cool to watch with kids if you have any.

So much for staying away from a computer during my vacation!

Happy Easter to you all down under ;).

I think that you are mincing the word objective here too finely, but I will let it pass. Yes I am familiar with the physics we are talking about.

I don't want to get any more involved in a discussion on the more metaphysical side of things, it's interesting to be sure, but secondary to our main discussion.

We have hit on the primary and unresolved conundrum, when does a quantum system stop being a mixture of states and become either one or the other?

The thinking is that once you open the box, or in some other way measure whether the cat is living you collapse the possible states into a single state, however that state has now always existed that way. This to me is the primary problem with the schrodingers cat experiment. The cat is "in potentia" both alive and dead, but upon measurement is only one or the other. If the cat did die, it lived for a determinable amount of time then passed away. If the cat yet lives it never died and has no memory of being "half dead"

Scientists hate saying things like "impossible to predict" because it strikes to close to statements like "will of god" and things of that nature. The problem with schrodinger's cat is that the outcome of the situation is in fact impossible to predict, we cannot with certainty say whether the cat will live or die, but the cat is only ever alive or dead. The theories that state the cat is both alive and dead use maths in a complicated way to state that both outcomes, being equally likely are both in fact happening, and observing the situation collapses the probability into reality.

But the interesting point is that nobody will argue that the cat, if alive, was never dead in that box. The objective reality of the situation is that the cat was always alive. Quantum uncertainty is more important when trying to predict the future, which is ultimately the purpose of science ie: I do x and y happens, thus, I know if I want y, I can do x.

So if you take "Objective Reality" as "observable present" then yes there is an Objective reality. However if you take "Objective Reality" as an "observable present" AND a "predictable future" then no, there is no Objective Reality.

From Einstein's letter to Schrodinger on the thought experiment:
"You are the only contemporary physicist, besides Laue, who sees that one cannot get around the assumption of reality—if only one is honest. Most of them simply do not see what sort of risky game they are playing with reality—reality as something independent of what is experimentally established. Their interpretation is, however, refuted most elegantly by your system of radioactive atom + amplifier + charge of gun powder + cat in a box, in which the psi-function of the system contains both the cat alive and blown to bits. Nobody really doubts that the presence or absence of the cat is something independent of the act of observation."

Taken From Wikipedia:Schrodinger's Cat A Suprisingly good resource on The Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment.

Thanks for sharing that stuff, Riddar. I'll have to come back and read it later today. But I'll be sure to give you a response. I don't think we disagree near as much as you may think we do. :D

After listening to Peter, I came to a conclusion that renting is better than owning (a house). Does this apply to car as well?
What Peter is saying is that it's not necessary for you to own where you live. It's also not necessary to invest in where you live.

Housing is a durable consumer good.

I suppose the same argument could be made about a car. It certainly doesn't have investment value over time.

Also, here is a follow up by Schiff. I don't know how much of it is just repetition and how much is new but it's only 15 minutes long

The Lew Rockwell Show - 108. Peter Schiff: You're Better Off as a Renter

Just listened to the whole thing (1h).... i love getting different perspectives on shit, just opens your mind up a bit more.... but in this case, its confused the crap out of me whether to buy a home or not heh....

i guess its time to write everything on paper and do my due diligence to see how much $$ i would actually make off a house in the long term.

Cheers for this

Just listened to the whole thing (1h).... i love getting different perspectives on shit, just opens your mind up a bit more.... but in this case, its confused the crap out of me whether to buy a home or not heh....

i guess its time to write everything on paper and do my due diligence to see how much $$ i would actually make off a house in the long term.

Cheers for this
My pleasure. Always good to double check the facts and not rely on what "everyone else is doing". The most successful people are never afraid to go against the grain.

I liked what he had to say about college students. "A lot of people are going to college cause they don't know what to do. They're drinking beer and partying for four years because it's free, or because they can get a government loan."

I saw so many people in college basically shelling out $60,000 to live a life of getting high and watching youtube videos, counting on their communications degree to magically make people want to pay them.

Status
Not open for further replies.