O.K. - wiredtree is down AGAIN.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. Pick a reliable host, but have a backup, mirrored server or VPS on standby. I've got my server set to sync files every 5 minutes via rsync, my MySQL database is mirrored/replicated both ways (a number of ways to accomplish this) so I'll always have the same data on both servers, and I use DNSMadeEasy's failover service to monitor my primary server every minute & switch DNS to my secondary if primary goes down.

Make sure to think about how much money you'll lose if you're down for just an hour, or especially if you're down for multiple hours. That should pretty easily justify the cost of DNSMadeEasy and a VPS on standby.

Well at least my server there is down again. Love to move the damn thing off but it won't stay up long enough to get the data :)

Ed- I have used these guys for YEARS now, and I have never been down for longer than an hour, and it was MY FAULT.

I have nothing but awesome, insanely good things to say about their support too- I have never waited longer that an hour or so for a response, and it's usually within minutes. Very knowledgeable people, and they go above and beyond the call every single time for me.

They are even rolling out a cloud-based system that I am part of the beta on right now whereby you can light up and provision a virtual box according to your own specs in just minutes, and turn them on and off instantly according to demand- VERY COOL SHIT.

Yes, I am a serious fuckin fanboi for these guys- but they don't even have an affiliate program, nor do they need one. Very responsible, long-term sustainable growth, and a rock-solid tier-1 backbone access from Equinix facilities.

I laugh my ass off every time I read one of these "Oh Woes Is Mes, My Hosting Is Shizzle" threads. I wouldn't DREAM of going anywhere else.

VPS Hosting from PowerVPS. Choose from cPanel or Plesk, all powered by the Cloud.

I recommend wiredtree as well - this last 30 days has just sucked balls for me. I've lost one big client from the down time as well.

Shit happens - just wish there was some communication OTHER than me having to go to webhosting talk, and look at twitter.

Honestly after days of this and a support ticket STILL don't have a response or an explanation.

They've cost me enough to get some kind of redundancy going at least - guess I've got some learning to go do.

I recommend wiredtree as well - this last 30 days has just sucked balls for me. I've lost one big client from the down time as well.

Shit happens - just wish there was some communication OTHER than me having to go to webhosting talk, and look at twitter.

Honestly after days of this and a support ticket STILL don't have a response or an explanation.

They've cost me enough to get some kind of redundancy going at least - guess I've got some learning to go do.

That's the point, man. Powervps has never failed to get back to me, usually within minutes and all via email. I don't ever have to fuck around tweeting, looking at their blog, etc. Return mail right to my inbox from a pro support tech or analyst.

Lolz at recommending Wiredtree too... This whole fucking thread is hardly an endorsement.

As Sumit would say, Good luck bros :thumbsup:

Get away from them quickly.

We tested out a server there and it lasted 6 months before non stop small issues and one large issue that went on during the whole 6 months.

We then moved to hivelocity, but come to find out they just resell in someone else's DC, so the support and the client panel is not that great. You had to log in 2 times (yeah I know big deal, but with a clientCP you should not have to do that, go from secure connection to not secure to submit your 2nd password, maybe it's fixed now tho).

So we have now moved all of our USA servers to Gigenet, and much much better service (and decent prices) then any company I have dealt with in over a decade of working online.

So I recommend gigenet, or to check them out at least.

I do not see wiredtree lasting longer then a few more years, if that. I bet if someone pulled the 2009 tax records you would see a huge loss, cause 2009 and 2008 were not good years to them.

But thats the hosting game for ya.

If I knew and had time to manage a server I would myself, and probably would have a bunch of other great choices, but Gigenet does the management and is proactive. Right now I am at day 273 that my one server has been running, the rest are all over 100 days online.

Good luck with everyone's situation with WiredTree.

That's the point, man. Powervps has never failed to get back to me, usually within minutes and all via email. I don't ever have to fuck around tweeting, looking at their blog, etc. Return mail right to my inbox from a pro support tech or analyst.

Lolz at recommending Wiredtree too... This whole fucking thread is hardly an endorsement.

As Sumit would say, Good luck bros :thumbsup:

I MEANT to say recommended (past tense). My bad. I loved wiredtree until about 30 days ago.