Need input on new monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
3007WFP-HC on the dell outlet site for $750, certified refurbished. I think I might get that one.

Those monitors don't seem to pack the ooomph of the 2407 - 2409 monitors...as in they don't have as many inputs and stuff.

Will that matter to me if I'm just using it for a 2nd monitor?

Does anyone with a 2407 actually use the other input channels?

Those monitors don't seem to pack the ooomph of the 2407 - 2409 monitors...as in they don't have as many inputs and stuff.

Will that matter to me if I'm just using it for a 2nd monitor?

Does anyone with a 2407 actually use the other input channels?

Depends what you're using it for. Your computer will most likely go to the DVI port and you won't use the others unless you're trying to hook up an Xbox and all this other shit. I use the 2407's USB ports a lot because they're convenient but I never use the card reader because it's slow and shitty.

What about a touchscreen monitor.

That would be very interesting, I was messing around with an HP one at futureshop yesterday while monitor shopping, but it was also the computer, Mac & Dell style.

Would be very interesting for gaming to have a touchscreen monitor...I mean productivity.

It was on ebay, used, but the seller had a good rating. It's no longer listed :(

Used is all fine and dandy but the manufacture's warranty is worth the extra 2-3 hundred IMO.

I've now had two monitors go on me, a Sony 21" Trinitron, in the last month of it's warranty (2 years and 11 months) just went tit's up. Took it to their certified service peeps and because they were no longer making CRTs other than their uber colour reference model, I was given the choice of a 20" lcd or a full refund. Their LCDs were shit at the time (poor pixel timing of 24ms) so they sent me a cheque for $1,600 cnd which I promptly turned into a Viewsonic VP201b.

This is the pro series of Viewsonic LCD that still exists 4 or 5 years later. After owning it for a year or two, I brought it to Spain and within a couple months of my arrival the light panel died. I contacted them to explain the situation and a few days later a box arrived with a fresh one in it. Sent the broke one back in the same box. No questions asked, no shipping and handling, no troubles. And this was for a unit bought in Vancouver and returned form Spain.

So I can't really say enough good things about the Sony and Viewsonic customer service. Without the warranties I'm not sure things would have gone so smoothly.

Wow that definitely seems worth while, great customer service.

Maybe I'll just splurge and pull the trigger on a brand new Dell24" powerhouse...

still can't make up my mind though, but thanks for all the suggestions.

I got a couple of nice 20" Benq monitors for around $200 a pop. Dells afaik are just rebranded Benq or LG monitors.

They're high end LG panels, but the electronics and hardware around them is far superior to any LG monitor that I'm aware of, which are often lacking features and have chintzy plastic stands.

If I were you I'd go for a Viewsonic monitor. They're quite a good brand.

I have three of the professional top of the line VP series sat here in front of me and they haven't aged well and pale in comparison to the Dell. They're good, but quite pricey for the VP series so I think there's better value to be had elsewhere.

I have a pair of 24"s and my head ping pongs back and forth.. I can't imagine anything bigger using a pair vs. a single 30". The problem I saw with the 30 was the distortion towards the edges because of the angle from your eyes vs. looking directly. Minimum 24" regardless if your going with a single..

Yeah for dual monitors 24 is a little overwhelming. 22 seems about perfect. And make sure to spring a little extra to get a monitor that has a sturdy mounting arm. Those flimsy ones don't adjust much and wobble all over the place. This is an example a good one. Having the hinge in the center is a good sign.

Dell%20%28E198WFP%29%20LCD%20Back.png

My dad has a single 27 inch 2708 that I was very impressed with and that he is very happy with.

Dell has their 2408WFP on sale for $499 right now if you've been waiting to pull the trigger. Dell's business side almost always has better prices, but this is on both their home and business sites.

Their s2409w monitor is only $249 right now on sale, but that's only 1920 x 1080, so...meh.

2 monitors is the way to go. Big big big.

My dad has a single 27 inch 2708 that I was very impressed with and that he is very happy with.

Dell has their 2408WFP on sale for $499 right now if you've been waiting to pull the trigger. Dell's business side almost always has better prices, but this is on both their home and business sites.

Their s2409w monitor is only $249 right now on sale, but that's only 1920 x 1080, so...meh.

2 monitors is the way to go. Big big big.

damn thats about 800 candian after you factor in taxes and the exchange rate.

not much better over at dell.ca either.

Status
Not open for further replies.