Microsoft's New Tablet/Laptop taking PreOrders - Ships in 10 Days

Lukp, hardcore gamer.
krisasick.png
So I was a bit pudgy in the 1980s... But all the best games came on 5 1/4" back then!

lol - 32GB of what...Hard disk space? lolz - thats gonna be the standard RAM specification within 6 months.

I'd stay the hell away from Windows 8 as well - it is not getting good development reviews and will require end users to make BIG changes to the desktop or "start button desktop" whatever its called now.

Starts at $499 for 32 Gb without keyboard. Not exactly cheap.

Microsoft Store Online

Note: Site is buggy and slow.

*microsoft*.com has also been historically buggy/slow as well as difficult to navigate. real funny intra-email released from Gates to his web team ripping apart how terrible it was to navigate.

im pretty much a perpetual microsoft hater so don't mind me.

It really isn't, the Pro version is as you describe but this one has an ARM processor. Not to mention it has no cellular connection ability which is a bit of a bummer.

Ever hear of a USB 3G card? I've got a verizon one. Works fine. Not to mention that you can buy devices to be used as hotspots now. Or just turn your android phone into a hotspot using FoxFi fo' free

Ever hear of a USB 3G card? I've got a verizon one. Works fine. Not to mention that you can buy devices to be used as hotspots now. Or just turn your android phone into a hotspot using FoxFi fo' free

That is very true.

This is worth a read Under the Surface: an inside look at how Microsoft's tablet came to be | The Verge

At one point we stood in a testing room, where five different Touch Covers were having their hinges tested by a machine that twisted back and forth every second or so. As the Covers furled and unfurled, we watched a 36-inch drop test, the Surface crashing onto its right side. While our backs were turned looking at the next test, Sinofsky grabbed a Surface that had four green wheels attached to the bottom, and hopped on board. He's apparently quite the skateboarder.

I pray they make a full fledged laptop, I would buy it in a heartbeat because as it stands nobody makes anything to match the quality of a Macbook Pro.

Looks enticing but from what I understand, no RDP access from Win 8 RT, which means I would need to pony up something around 800+ bucks to get it in the full tablet version, and at that price I may as well just carry around my laptop for emergency remote admin stuff when traveling.

Probably gonna have to pass on the first gens for now, my rooted nook tablet is working fine for most part unless the media sharing from the XBox turns out to be the killer feature (quite possible) that I didn't realize I couldn't live without (far less likely).

I'd stay the hell away from Windows 8 as well - it is not getting good development reviews and will require end users to make BIG changes to the desktop or "start button desktop" whatever its called now.

I have been using Windows 8 for about a month on my main computer. My desktop looks the same as it did in Windows 7. It has the same icons and works the same as before.

The new metro interface is basically a full screen start menu that pops up when I hit the windows key. No big deal in my opinion.

This is my desktop below...

cPYqV.png

I have been using Windows 8 for about a month on my main computer. My desktop looks the same as it did in Windows 7. It has the same icons and works the same as before.

The new metro interface is basically a full screen start menu that pops up when I hit the windows key. No big deal in my opinion.

cPYqV.png

People still use Winamp?

cPYqV.png

I haven't touched it yet, so are there any noticeable improvements? smoother? faster? any issues with hardware?

People still use Winamp?

Yep. I have tried other players over the years, but have never found anything that I like more than Winamp with the classic interface enabled. :thumbsup:

I haven't touched it yet, so are there any noticeable improvements? smoother? faster? any issues with hardware?

Windows 8 startup is faster. It beats Windows 7 in most benchmark tests, but not by enough to make it very noticeable doing every day work. No hardware or driver issues for me.

File History is built in now, so old versions of files can be restored. Back in my tech support/help desk days people constantly wanted to recover old versions of their files.

Skydrive integration similar to iCloud has been added.

Drive Extender from Windows Home Server was added allowing multiple different size drives to work as one in Windows.

For people with kids... Parental controls have been improved with time limits, site/app blocking, website history, search term history, store download history, most used apps, most visited sites, etc.

File copy progress windows now automatically stack in a single window if there is more than one...

GJuvs.jpg

This menu pops up now when you right click where the start menu used to be...

IKozO.png

I love how I can split the screen by dragging a window to either side, in this case I have dragged the music player to the right side.

30u9089.png

Here I have pinned Messenger to the right side which can either use MSN messenger or Facebook chat to communicate with people. Skype will be coming to an app like this soon. It's pretty fuckin' nice. If I want it out of the way I can just grab the slider and throw it off the side. If I want to close it completely and exit the messenger I can grab it and drag it to the bottom of the screen.
20z7d41.png

Another thing that's very nice is when you open the 'charms' menu on the right hand side, all the options there are relative to the app you have open. In this example I've hit the settings button, and then it shows the settings for the music app that I'm in. If I was in Messenger it would show the settings for Messenger. Everything is consistent and standardised, very well done.

3ht9u.png

The search function is also relative to individual apps. In this case, from the start screen without doing anything else I typed 'quantum mechanics', then clicked the wikipedia icon on the right and up popped the wikipedia article on quantum mechanics. None of the reviews I've seen focus on any functions like this, it's very powerful.

1zceq6x.png

Wow, that's some pretty awesome new features... I was pretty sure 8 was just going to be 7 with a metro overlay. Glad to hear it ain't so.

About the desktop, when win 8 is running on a tablet like the surface in 3 months, I kinda doubt they'll let users go to the normal desktop screen, keeping all of their navigation within metro... So then the question becomes: Can you guys function in the metro interface fully?

Can you run proprietary software from it? Get in and out of different apps from it while not closing them (like apple would) and switching fluidly?

I have been running Windows 8 in the free trial that goes until January. Then I have to buy a few copies of Win8.

It seems pretty solid and just to make the transition easier I added:
Welcome to Classic Shell

Just as an added note the Surface available now is Windows RT not 8. 8 Will come later.

I am waiting around and seeing what happens. The price is acceptable for an ultrabook but not super cheap.

Wow, that's some pretty awesome new features... I was pretty sure 8 was just going to be 7 with a metro overlay. Glad to hear it ain't so.

About the desktop, when win 8 is running on a tablet like the surface in 3 months, I kinda doubt they'll let users go to the normal desktop screen, keeping all of their navigation within metro... So then the question becomes: Can you guys function in the metro interface fully?

Can you run proprietary software from it? Get in and out of different apps from it while not closing them (like apple would) and switching fluidly?

I think the Pro/Windows 8 version of Surface will have desktop access.

You can start non-metro apps from the metro interface, but you have to go to the desktop to access them after that. When you are in the metro interface you can switch between running metro apps or go the desktop where the regular windows apps are running.

Here is a screenshot of the metro popup to view and switch between running apps... firefox and some other things are also running, but I have to access them from the desktop.

zThXn.png

Windows RT has desktop access, but it's limited to the preinstalled applications like calculator and crap like that (there's no metro calculator which is a bit odd). Surface Pro will be full Windows 8 and allow you to run anything you want like a desktop PC.

With the prices of everything hardware related coming down. I'm going to be VERY hard pressed not to just assemble something out of parts in the future. Something like this isn't really worth the money when competing, established products are out there & selling quite cheaply.

yup. back in the day an entry level 486 PC would sell for around $1k. That $1k price stuck for quite a few years and then ...