MacBook Pro - Extra 0.26GHz worth $300?

I'm about to buy a 13 inch MacBook Pro, but I am trying to decide between the 2.4GHz / 250gb version and the 2.66GHz / 320gb version. Aside from the hard drive and memory, the only difference is $300. Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in performance across these two models?

I will be using it mostly for schoolwork and programming, maybe some designing but nothing too intensive.

Also...what about the AppleCare Protection plan? Worth it?

Call me freak but I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.66. Its always good to have more CPU and more Memory...
Not sure about the difference as I haven't tested.. and the new Pro sucks.. Maybe because of the new OS as some suggests.. but I do get the spinning wheel a fuckin lot..

Apple Care?

WHy do you take it?
I never had to repair my Mac or any laptops for that matter... Been using Mac for 3 years...
What kind of repair you talking about?

I personally couldn't give a fuck about performance and benchmarks and all that crap in the way people discuss it. As far as I'm concerned my Mac is quicker than my Windows machine. I also like to work productively on something designed to be productive where I can complete any task or work at any task a shit load quicker than I can in windows.

I don't want to spend ages clicking around and installing/uninstalling shit, AV, anti-spyware, pdf reader, photo programs, browsers, email clients, blah, blah, blah. The list goes on. I got my Mac out of it's box, I turned it on. That. is. it...

Catch up, slow guy -- I'm talking about using OSX on PC hardware. OSX is the Mac operating system. You use the exact same programs and have the exact same functionality as what Apple sells you, on better hardware, for a fraction of the cost.

This conversation is about hardware. Your entire "argument" is irrelevant.

Catch up, slow guy -- I'm talking about using OSX on PC hardware. OSX is the Mac operating system. You use the exact same programs and have the exact same functionality as what Apple sells you, on better hardware, for a fraction of the cost.

The average user isn't going to know how to get a specific set of hardware and build it in order to match the hardware compatibility of one of the Hackintosh releases. Not to mention you lose a number of things with the hackintosh such as automatic updates. Just seems to make more sense to run Ubuntu or a similar linux desktop enviroment and get support than it is to deal with trying to get a hackintosh to work. It's hardly "the fraction of the cost", more like 10-20% savings.

Besides if you were an AM and ballin', I think the last time you'd be doing is bitching bout a 10-15% markup on equivalent hardware for what you get in the end.

I used to have both a P4/2.8ghz (northwood chipsetup) PC that I built, plus a PowerMac G3/733 that I paid for brand new back in 2002, well back then I'd agree with you on the overpriced nature of it especially with the performance the PPC chip was putting out and what I could run at the time. Now I don't even use a PC, been running strong on this 13" Macbook (2.1ghz core2 duo pyrene) for over 2 years now, and I don't think I've been much more productive without having to address a hardware of software issue every so often.

PS: I'd get the AppleCare.

I will be using it mostly for schoolwork and programming, maybe some designing but nothing too intensive.

Also...what about the AppleCare Protection plan? Worth it?

Then definitely not worth it. I do those same things on my 5 year old 1st gen macbook (2ghz core duo) and still never have problems.

I also nv bought the protection plan and never had a problem.

I have a friend who buys his macs used on ebay that already have the protection plan and gets great deals on them. something to look into, but you have to be careful.

So it was. No need to get so defensive my angry little child.

Has nothing to do with "1 butan mouse hurr" or "gayman."

Has to do with overpriced hardware and being able to put OSX on superior PC hardware for half the price.

Don't cry, fanboy. I've owned both and work on both on a daily basis.

I'm sick of this fanboy shit.

Yea it is easy to put on a desktop (at least for computer savvy people like myself and apparently you), but maybe people don't want a desktop computer huh?

Laptops are a little harder to get osx onto safely, plus I'll pay an extra $400 to get some "cool" aluminum styling, smaller size, save time/effort, and ensure everything works properly. Plus apple has always taken good care of me.

I will admit though, if I wanted a desktop I would for sure be building my own (probably wouldn't even run osx at that point), it's just the laptop thing is a bit different you must admit.

I'm sick of this fanboy shit.

Yea it is easy to put on a desktop (at least for computer savvy people like myself and apparently you), but maybe people don't want a desktop computer huh?

Laptops are a little harder to get osx onto safely

Actually... No. Laptops are even easier because each model comes with a known set of hardware as opposed to a custom built desktop, which can come with any number of configurations; OSX86's wiki has idiot proof instructions for hundreds of different laptop models.

I put OSX on my Inspiron 6000, my NX6110, a Fujitsu ST5032D tablet and a friend's Envy 14, with only minor complications on the NX6110, and that was due to HP's BIOS whitelisting certain mini-PCI wireless cards, not OSX itself.

How is it "fanboy shit?" I use OSX [home laptop], XP [home desktop], Vista [home laptop 2], 7 [work desktop] and Ubuntu [my tablet] on a daily basis and work on them all too. I know that there are pros and cons of each. The only "fanboy shit" is anyone arguing that Apple's hardware isn't ridiculously overpriced.

plus I'll pay an extra $400 to get some "cool" aluminum styling, smaller size

You mean like the Envy 14's aluminum and magnesium chassis, 14" screen and same or better hardware specs than the 15" MBP?

Stop grasping at straws dude, Apple is NOT the only company that uses aluminum builds. Even Acer's Timeline series has them, it isn't that unique.

Yea but then you are restricted to certain models and makes... and it still doesn't pass up the fact you are using a hacked version.

Can't deny that mac hardware IS the best for running mac. definitely not the most cost effective of course. Plus again saving time and headache.

It's fanboy shit because you said so... lol

Don't cry, fanboy.

the aluminum was just one of the things I like about the mac not the only thing. I think most people are aware that mac isn't the only company who uses the metal aluminum. Also I just haven't found a computer that looks as damn sexy as a mac... maybe a lenovo, but that's just my own personal opinion.

I do agree that with a pc you can get higher performance for less cost. I was simply stating that's not everyone's first goal when buying a computer. Obviously if it was everyone would be building their own mac or putting it on a pc laptop. OH, and that I'm sick of the word fanboy

Yea but then you are restricted to certain models and makes... and it still doesn't pass up the fact you are using a hacked version.

You can use the retail disc. That's what bootloaders are for.

Can't deny that mac hardware IS the best for running mac.

I'm not really sure what makes you think an i5 processor on an intel chipset inside a white case with an apple on it is any different than an i5 processor on an intel chipset inside a black case with an HP on it. Sounds like you got a bit too sucked into the "We use PowerPC processors because OSX runs better on it, it's like a 14GHZ processor compared to running XP on a Pentium 4!!!" hype Steve Jobs was spitting back in the G4/G5 days and for some reason you think it applies to identical hardware running an identical OS since the switch to Intel builds.

It's fanboy shit because you said so... lol

The only "Fanboy" part is people still arguing that Apple hardware isn't overpriced and that the only benefits of a Mac are the OS (which is irrelevant because you can put it on non-Apple hardware) and personal opinion on aesthetics.

lolwat.jpg

I just haven't found a computer that looks as damn sexy as a mac... maybe a lenovo, but that's just my own personal opinion.

HP-ENVY-15-1050NR-02.jpg

hp-envy-15-03.jpg

They look almost exactly the same. Only major difference aesthetically is that the bezel on the ENVY is a different color and the slot-loading optical drive is on the opposite side.

Fujitsu and Sony both have some very aesthetically pleasing designs too.

yeah but do HP's still get nuclear hot? The last one I had, they skimped on the GPU thermal stuff and the thing regularly got to water boiling temperatures. Will never buy an HP again because of it

Yea they were like that even back in 2002, no reason to not buy a mac though, just get it at it's base config and head over to crucial.com or newegg as you pointed out and pick up more memory there and install it yourself. Ram is one of the easiest things to install in a macbook now days.

By the way your screenshot is out of date, what you can get a 27-inch for today, plus only pay 200$ more for 8GB instead of 4GB DDR3 ram.

SesVl.png

yeah but do HP's still get nuclear hot? The last one I had, they skimped on the GPU thermal stuff and the thing regularly got to water boiling temperatures. Will never buy an HP again because of it

The DV2000/6000/9000 series was really bad about this, enough to have HP extend the warranty on all of them by 2 years because of the problems it eventually caused, but the ENVY series doesn't have that problem at all.

There IS a known issue with the ENVY 15 caused by ATI's drivers where the screen will go black if you haven't updated the ones that came installed from factory settings by now, but other than that no concerns. Not an issue anyway if you were going to Hackintosh it, and even if you didn't, the screen stays up more than long enough to install the right driver and restart. It's the only problem I've seen with them in "the field."

You can use the retail disc. That's what bootloaders are for.

I'm not really sure what makes you think an i5 processor on an intel chipset inside a white case with an apple on it is any different than an i5 processor on an intel chipset inside a black case with an HP on it. Sounds like you got a bit too sucked into the "We use PowerPC processors because OSX runs better on it, it's like a 14GHZ processor compared to running XP on a Pentium 4!!!" hype Steve Jobs was spitting back in the G4/G5 days and for some reason you think it applies to identical hardware running an identical OS since the switch to Intel builds.

The only "Fanboy" part is people still arguing that Apple hardware isn't overpriced and that the only benefits of a Mac are the OS (which is irrelevant because you can put it on non-Apple hardware) and personal opinion on aesthetics.

lolwat.jpg

HP-ENVY-15-1050NR-02.jpg

hp-envy-15-03.jpg

They look almost exactly the same. Only major difference aesthetically is that the bezel on the ENVY is a different color and the slot-loading optical drive is on the opposite side.

Fujitsu and Sony both have some very aesthetically pleasing designs too.

OMFG! For the third time I completely agree with you on the hardware. I hate to stoop to this level, but are you an idiot? I completely understand the hardware argument I majored in god damn computer science.

When I say osx is better on mac I am talking about more than just performance like I stated in previous posts. It becomes more of a personal opinion for me because I like mac's service, the looks, and I'm too lazy to fuck around with finding the right pc and installing it myself. To me the extra few hundo is worth it. If I want a PC I will build/buy one (with windows not mac), if I want a mac the easiest way for me (dont know about you), is to buy a mac

I still think the macs look better btw, but again that's my personal opinion

anyway can we please get back to the topic so we don't look like douche bags for hijacking the thread? kthxbye

By the way your screenshot is out of date, what you can get a 27-inch for today, plus only pay 200$ more for 8GB instead of 4GB DDR3 ram.

That $2,000 iMac is $300 more than an HP TouchSmart all-in-one with a better processor, twice as much RAM and 2TB HD vs. 1TB... And the iMac isn't a touchscreen, either. If you wanted to compare a desktop build with those specs, the price points aren't even close.

When I say osx is better on mac I am talking about more than just performance like I stated in previous posts.

If you're talking about "more than just performance" perhaps you shouldn't be saying that a piece of software is "better" on one set of hardware vs. another set of hardware, since "performance" is what makes software on X hardware set "better," not the box that the hardware that you're running the software on looks like. Derp.

That $2,000 iMac is $300 more than an HP TouchSmart all-in-one with a better processor, twice as much RAM and 2TB HD vs. 1TB... And the iMac isn't a touchscreen, either. If you wanted to compare a desktop build with those specs, the price points aren't even close.

Yea 300$ more for a big ass 27" LCD, crushed into a all-in-one package. Anyways your arguments are pointless we all know already that you can get cheaper shit elsewhere especially if you don't mind getting technical. Still doesn't help your case to use old data to better support your argument.

Besides the way I see it, is if you get twice as much of something for cheaper (HDD, Ram, etc) in a pre-built system, you have to wonder bout the actual brand/quality of those components in order for HP or other companies to make a profit. Kinda like hosting, sure you can get plenty of 512MB or 1GB VPSes for 10$/month... but would you really want to?

Here's the $29 case I threw my $400 quad core hackintosh in. It' even got a convenient handle so I can do a couple of arm-stretched helicopter spins when I'm ready to toss it after I try and use Finder another time to navigate shit.

2891case.png

Pretty sure it's illegal to run OS X on a non Apple computer...

...Just saying...if you don't want to spend the extra couple hundred for the Apple computer, just run linux or windows...Hackintoshes suck...

Ps... Apple is sooo overpriced.

2dcd6zb.png

2hzhfmd.png