MacBook Pro - Extra 0.26GHz worth $300?

chatmasta

Jan 7, 2007
NYC
I'm about to buy a 13 inch MacBook Pro, but I am trying to decide between the 2.4GHz / 250gb version and the 2.66GHz / 320gb version. Aside from the hard drive and memory, the only difference is $300. Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in performance across these two models?

I will be using it mostly for schoolwork and programming, maybe some designing but nothing too intensive.

Also...what about the AppleCare Protection plan? Worth it?

For up to three years from your computer's original purchase date, the AppleCare Protection Plan gives you direct, one-stop access to Apple's award-winning telephone technical support for questions about Apple hardware, Mac OS X, iLife, and iWork. And you get global repair coverage for your Mac — both parts and labor — through convenient service options.

thats an extra 2.6 GHz, not 0.26 as title suggests.

If its not used for anything too intensive, its optional. But I would do it.

Yes, get applecare. Discussed somewhere here before and almost all insisted to get it.

Apple Care definitely. For what you're talking about doing, I probably wouldn't for the extra clock speed.

Get a SSD instead of the processor upgrade...no there wont be THAT much of a difference between the processors...but I feel the hard drive swap is a big difference.

2.66 - 2.4 = 0.26

also, in case no one told you yet, 2+2=4

I have 2.66 / 320GB on my 17" MBP personally, but it's a hefty price for a very small upgrade.

Also, I regret not getting SSD when I bought this MBP a little over a year ago and I intend to get it on my next one. Take the advice above and get it.

Get a SSD instead of the processor upgrade...no there wont be THAT much of a difference between the processors...but I feel the hard drive swap is a big difference.

This. A couple months ago the Intel ones were by far the best choice, but it seems like competition caught up: OCZ Vertex 2 Review (120GB) | StorageReview.com

But I'm really not much of a techie, so you should do your own research.

Another thing to take into account: When Intel announced their new SSDs last year (a year after the prev gen) they slashed the prices in half. There were some hopes that something similar would happen by the end of this year (since they're still very pricey) but I guess it somehow got less likely?

And: Mac OS X doesn't yet support Trim: Any news on TRIM ssd implementation for OS X. - Mac Forums

How much of an issue that is? idk. Whether or not to get an SSD now, I'd definitely go with the smaller MBP.

For AC: It's highly overpriced, like most things Apple sells. But since they just use the same internal components and manufacturers like everyone else does I'd def go with the extra warranty.1 year just isn't enough. And it's a good idea to sell the MBP before AC expires, since the used market prices are pretty high.
Buy it off eBay, you'll save A LOT. But be careful not to get a pirated code. Surprisingly the AC codes can be generated very easily (you'll even find the instructions on the inet and btw.: it's the same with iTunes codes).

But of course you'd run into a problem if a legit costumer wants to activate the same code. And since last year Apple has started to check 10-20% of the AC registrations by demanding proof of purchase, and you should have the box if that happens.

You'll find AC sellers on eBay with +1000 feedback all positive that are scammers. There are also legit sellers that sell the code without the box but who will send you the sealed box if you demand it. Never buy it without the box. You should still be able to save up to 50% even from a legit seller. And don't forget that you can activate AC till 1 year after the purchase.

Why am I writing all this? Probably because I myself bought it from a scammer (with +1000 pos feedback) but so far I got lucky and my AC is working fine. You should still read this thread here: Don't buy AppleCare on Ebay - Mac Forums All what I've said and much more.

Get Applecare. Period. Been using Apple since I was born and it's the best investment in your computer. I've easily run up well over $1000 in repairs but haven't paid for them.

"hrurrr mac 1 butan mouse hurrr no games hurr durrrrrr"

what are you, retarded?

Has nothing to do with "1 butan mouse hurr" or "gayman."

Has to do with overpriced hardware and being able to put OSX on superior PC hardware for half the price.

Don't cry, fanboy. I've owned both and work on both on a daily basis.

Has nothing to do with "1 butan mouse hurr" or "gayman."

Has to do with overpriced hardware and being able to put OSX on superior PC hardware for half the price.

Don't cry, fanboy. I've owned both and work on both on a daily basis.

show me a superior PC for half the price - pls compare the mac pro.

And before some i980x shit comes out, compare WORKSTATION class machines.

There is about a 10-15% apple premium. Get over it. (that is- not taking the newly released (today) specs compare an 8 core to a dell precision.

Why people constantly compare them to a XPS or some other gaming machine with CONSUMER quality hardware is beyond me.

Oh- and before you jump out of your seat I'm typing this on a i7 860 ssd/raid/blah blah hackintosh running 10.6.4

I will be the first to tell you that while this benchmarks comparably with a 2009 Mac Pro at half the cost it isn't anywhere near the machine that is.

show me a superior PC for half the price - pls compare the mac pro.

And before some i980x shit comes out, compare WORKSTATION class machines.

blah blah xps blah blah gayman

When the OP starts talking about Workstations, it would make sense to compare workstations. Here, you are just making an irrelevant argument that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Oh- and before you jump out of your seat I'm typing this on a i7 860 ssd/raid/blah blah hackintosh running 10.6.4

I will be the first to tell you that while this benchmarks comparably with a 2009 Mac Pro at half the cost it isn't anywhere near the machine that is.

So.. It benchmarks the same, runs the same operating system, has the same or higher specs but "isn't anywhere near the machine that is?"

You have no idea what you're talking about. You do realize what "benchmarks" are for and what they mean, right? Run Geekbench on a Mac Pro and then on an i7 920 or 950 (lol@your 860 btw, cheap) Hackintosh, then have fun explaining how the former is "better" than the latter.

Like I stated before, I work with and on both every day -- AM isn't my only source of revenue -- and this has been the case for years (See: Build a Mac Pro equivalent workstation for 1/3 the cost | ZDNet). The only difference now is that there are even more OSX86 versions to choose from for the best compatibility for your PC build.

really? I have ECC ram? I have a Xenon processor?

Right- because consumer grade processors from Intel are priced the same as Xenons, oh wait, no they're not.

But I'm sure the LARGE delta in cost is just marketing fluff. I'm sure I'm also getting ripped off at the cost of the workstation hardware in my servers.

Don't get me wrong, I realize you (and I) own/use both. However compare apples to apples. You're also paying (with Mac, OR Dell OR HP, etc) for professional caliber on-site support as you well know.

It's absolutely a cheap hackintosh, I'm going to pickup a new mac pro as well. I'm not building a $3k hackintosh to self support it, I have problem I'll pay others to fix it, and fix it fast. You know given it's a business tool and not some glowing tower that I can brag to my friends on anandtech about.

If its not used for anything too intensive, its optional. But I would do it.

Yes, get applecare. Discussed somewhere here before and almost all insisted to get it.

you moron it's a mac, it's equivalent to 26 GHz extra.

I'm about to buy a 13 inch MacBook Pro, but I am trying to decide between the 2.4GHz / 250gb version and the 2.66GHz / 320gb version. Aside from the hard drive and memory, the only difference is $300. Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in performance across these two models?

I will be using it mostly for schoolwork and programming, maybe some designing but nothing too intensive.

Also...what about the AppleCare Protection plan? Worth it?

Hey, I was about to ebay my used 13 inch 2.66GHz Macbook. PM me if you're looking for a decent price.

When the OP starts talking about Workstations, it would make sense to compare workstations. Here, you are just making an irrelevant argument that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

So.. It benchmarks the same, runs the same operating system, has the same or higher specs but "isn't anywhere near the machine that is?"

You have no idea what you're talking about. You do realize what "benchmarks" are for and what they mean, right? Run Geekbench on a Mac Pro and then on an i7 920 or 950 (lol@your 860 btw, cheap) Hackintosh, then have fun explaining how the former is "better" than the latter.

Like I stated before, I work with and on both every day -- AM isn't my only source of revenue -- and this has been the case for years (See: Build a Mac Pro equivalent workstation for 1/3 the cost | ZDNet). The only difference now is that there are even more OSX86 versions to choose from for the best compatibility for your PC build.

I personally couldn't give a fuck about performance and benchmarks and all that crap in the way people discuss it. As far as I'm concerned my Mac is quicker than my Windows machine. I also like to work productively on something designed to be productive where I can complete any task or work at any task a shit load quicker than I can in windows.

I don't want to spend ages clicking around and installing/uninstalling shit, AV, anti-spyware, pdf reader, photo programs, browsers, email clients, blah, blah, blah. The list goes on. I got my Mac out of it's box, I turned it on. That. is. it...

I do love Apple vs Windoze arguments though, because the reality is, whichever you purchase and use, the differences are little beyond personal preference. I just want to leave shit alone nowadays; I want it to work out of the box and I want it to stay working out of the box. I don't want to tweak and customise or install and uninstall, I want it to allow me to do what I want to do without getting in my fucking way.

Fanboi vs Fanboi is always a loss for both sides.