Laptop suggestions: MBA vs alternatives

LegitAM

WF Premium Member
Apr 7, 2010
About due for a new laptop and looking for suggestions. Currently looking at the new macbook air (I'm a mac fan boy), but the one thing I hate is running all my programs on a virtual box.

Any alternative suggestions? I'm not a gamer, so none of that crazy shit matters to me.

Budget: $1400 and below

Go.

New Macbook or......? go with a Mac. The new ones are good. Maybe spend a few hundred more and get a pro, the retina display is nice too. Apply for credit?

why are you using OSX if you have to run everything in a virtual machine? Just buy an MBA and install windows on it.

I have partitioned on my current one and it's a PITA to flip flop between windows and osx. I don't have to run everything in windows, just a few programs (over exaggerated in initial post).

wtf? Can you not use wine? or maybe just use a virtual machine for windows, run windows IN osx.

I have partitioned on my current one and it's a PITA to flip flop between windows and osx. I don't have to run everything in windows, just a few programs (over exaggerated in initial post).

I recommend finding Mac alternatives for these apps. Unless you're talking about shit like Scrapebox, which you should be running on a Windows VPS you remote desktop into anyways...

Until recently I was dual-booting OSX/Windows on a Hackintosh setup. I still prefer Windows for a lot of things.

I got tired of the Hackintosh being unstable. So I switched that machine back to Windows and bought a MacBook Pro.

The setup is pretty sweet. I'm using Synergy to control both machines from one keyboard/mouse. I have 2 30" monitors to the right and the MBP to the left. I have the middle monitor setup where I can switch it from the Mac to the PC by pressing a button, so I always have dual monitors for whatever machine I'm working on.

I work on both OS's about 50/50. I'm loving the setup.

bump, I'm looking for a laptop.

I'm torn between:

$1360 Sager NP8235 (Clevo P151SM1) with i7 4700mq quad core processor, 32gb ram, 3gb nvidia graphics, etc.

vs.

$1400 macbook pro, 8gb ram, 2.9ghz processor, I'm not a fan of mac but found out you can run windows on it and it would serve a dual purpose as I need a mac to publish ios apps. I do have one at work I could possibly use to publish from. All my software is windows based. Some stuff has mac versions but some doesn't, but I guess the mac can run both os's.

What would you get for around $1500? I need something decent that can run an oculus rift + kinect + unoptomized games in a game engine full of tons of 3d assets and giant textures(images), so am leaning more towards at least 16+gb ram, good video card and half decent processor...

I do a lot of importing/uncompressing/etc, basically lot of time fucking waiting....

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch and I love it. I was going to get a macbook air, but I hate the keyboard on it. I got the x1 touch with 8gb ram, core i7 and 240gb SSD for $16XX with my student discount on the Microsoft store and it came with office and whatnot. It is more than powerful enough for everything I need and it is a pleasure to use. I have come to really enjoy the touch interface. It's really nice for zooming and scrolling pages.

Hp envy.

HP-ENVY_02.jpg

This will be my next laptop - 13.3" QHD+ 3200x1800 display. Gimme!

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus - Superior performance in craftmanship design legacy

Verdict:
Without a doubt this is Samsung's best laptop to date - Windows might not yet be ready for ultra-high resolution displays, but the Ativ Book 9 Plus is a fantastic Ultrabook anyway
Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus review | Expert Reviews

Verdict
It may not come cheap, but the Samsung Ativ 9 Plus looks and feels its money. It’s a great looking laptop of near-flawless build quality and a brilliant screen. The superb screen resolution ensures that other laptops using similarly up-to-date components will offer better battery life, but thanks to the optimisation of the Intel Haswell CPU, it lasts for a full day of work anyway. Ultrabooks don’t get much better than this.
Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus review - Laptop

It's pre-ordering at $1399 with 4 gb of ram: Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G-K01US NP940X3G-K01US B&H Photo

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch and I love it. I was going to get a macbook air, but I hate the keyboard on it. I got the x1 touch with 8gb ram, core i7 and 240gb SSD for $16XX with my student discount on the Microsoft store and it came with office and whatnot. It is more than powerful enough for everything I need and it is a pleasure to use. I have come to really enjoy the touch interface. It's really nice for zooming and scrolling pages.

That looks nice except for one small detail which always makes me avoid ThinkPads...

eCTDAKw.jpg

I currently have a weak tits Air running 1.7GHz i5 (4GB).

I love it when I'm just playing around or checking email, but anytime I get working hard and have too many tabs or programs running the lag-time is legit, and can be very annoying.

Any insights into the speed increases of the new Air? I thought about just skipping the air and going straight to the Pro-Retina unless the difference is substantial.