Laptop Recommendations

I'm a computer retard.

I keep hearing more and more about SSD vs standard hard drives. Why do I want or don't want a SSD?

Here's another reason to think about an SSD for a laptop from here:

A laptop battery that lasts for 32 hours | SmartPlanet

"HP also found that it improved battery life by 18 percent by just replacing a hard drive with a solid-state flash memory drive. Hard drives suck up a lot of energy because they need to spin a dense piece of metal."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxi8w9gkOLs"]HP Elite PCs. Our toughest, most reliable PCs in business today - YouTube[/ame]

In b4 people realise touch screens on anything other than a device intended to be used horizontally (not an upright screen) is pointless and gimmicky.

Here's another reason to think about an SSD for a laptop from here:

A laptop battery that lasts for 32 hours | SmartPlanet

"HP also found that it improved battery life by 18 percent by just replacing a hard drive with a solid-state flash memory drive. Hard drives suck up a lot of energy because they need to spin a dense piece of metal."

HP Elite PCs. Our toughest, most reliable PCs in business today - YouTube

Extra heat and weight too I had a Raptor 10,000 RPM and those things have to have coolers on the side cause they generate so much heat. I forgot what its called maybe heat spreaders?

This is probably out of your budget but check out the new Sony Vaio Z.

i second toshiba's on being reliable and stable.

one of my first laptops was a toshiba. today it is 8 years old, been dropped 1000 times, bashed with a screwdriver, ran over with my car, water spilled on it, and the fan broke on it 3 years ago.

fucker still runs normal, doesnt overheat, loads XP like a fucking champ, and I can even do mulit heavy apps on it at the same time like PS.

i've had 5 more laptops since that one, and that toshiba is the only one still working correctly.

I think the brands ASUS and Acer are pretty good in general, but it will vary depending on your personal need with the laptop. Don't buy Samsung, because I bought one recently and there's a lot of problems with it.

For those of you defending Windows 8, this review sums up my thoughts nicely:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw]Windows 8: It's Almost Not Terrible - YouTube[/ame]

I bought an Acer a couple years ago for a work laptop and it was horrible. The thing just started falling apart on me. Literally the keys would come off while typing all the time. I had to send it in numerous times to be fixed because it wouldnt turn on etc. All of this happened within a years time. I may have just bought a faulty one, but it for sure changed my mind about trying another.

I now run Lenovo desktops for my business and bought a refurbished MAC Pro last week. The mac is just awesome in every way.

I have a Lenovo g465 with Linux ubuntu and it works so good, depending on what you wanna do with it, i had windows and even games like league of legends worked fine

G74SX checking in.

Don't buy it if you move around a lot/go to different cities. It's a fucking PITA to lug around and airport security is a nightmare. Also not fun to leave an expensive laptop in a third world motel.

The macbook air is what I will get next. It would weigh about 2KG with charger and accessories and can fit into a nice silver or black mafia briefcase. The Asus is about 7KG and the only way to move it is the backpack.

How many G series owners here even used it to play games and shit? I didn't play anything other than Alice madness returns & civ 5 and got bored of both. Most games are retarded and the ones that aren't are huge time sucks

Yeah. Doing real work on a touchscreen is productive. /s

On a 27 inch touch screen right now, swipe gestures are nice, also using a capacitive stylus and gloves (to prevent my hand from brushing the screen) editing in photoshop is soo much faster.

IdeaCentre-A720-All-in-one-Desktop-PC-Side-View-Tilt-4L-940x475.jpg

G74SX checking in.

Don't buy it if you move around a lot/go to different cities. It's a fucking PITA to lug around and airport security is a nightmare. Also not fun to leave an expensive laptop in a third world motel.

The macbook air is what I will get next. It would weigh about 2KG with charger and accessories and can fit into a nice silver or black mafia briefcase. The Asus is about 7KG and the only way to move it is the backpack.

How many G series owners here even used it to play games and shit? I didn't play anything other than Alice madness returns & civ 5 and got bored of both. Most games are retarded and the ones that aren't are huge time sucks

I use my modified g73s to play games quite often. Fallout NV, TF2, CS:GO, and Tribes:Ascend are my usuals. Also, your site is down.

I use my modified g73s to play games quite often. Fallout NV, TF2, CS:GO, and Tribes:Ascend are my usuals. Also, your site is down.
brb downloading fallout. Can't wait for generals 2. If that game doesn't suck this would have been money well spent...