It's YOUR Business.

Mike

Jun 27, 2006
On the firing line
Okay, this is sort of a rant so feel free to bounce at anytime. Kind of some random thoughts on things...

To start: when you decide to take the plunge into online marketing, you need to always remember - It is your business. Nobody else can run your business like you can. That's not to say you will instantly make money. The mistakes you make and the money you make are yours. You own it ALL. Good, bad or otherwise.

1. Mistakes and losing money

I believe this is the biggest fear new business owners have (read new internet marketers). Losing money is not a bad thing. Let me repeat: Losing money is not a bad thing. What is bad: spending money recklessly that you can not afford to lose. Do NOT spend your rent check. Do NOT spend your electric bill payment. Do NOT spend your internet bill payment. DO NOT spend money that you can not afford to lose.

If money is so tight that you won't be able to pay bills, don't spend it on a new business venture like PPC. Stick to SEO and other free ($-wise, not time-wise) methods. Here's a short list (very short, there are thousands of ways to build a business with $0.00):

• Free blogs - blogger, Wordpress.com, etc. Use them for your landing pages
  • Yahoo! answers. Yes Virginia, there is still money on Y! answers
  • Craigslist - :uhoh2: Oh noes, you didn't just go there! Yep, I did. It's free and as long as you're not a prostitute or selling drugs, it's not illegal to advertise on CL
  • Other classified ad sites: Kajiji, Gumtree, etc.
  • Web 2.0 sites - there are dozens out there that will let you create a site for free
If you can afford to lose some money and want to try PPC, that's great, just keep in mind that you WILL lose money in the beginning. Think of it as paying for your education. If you want to be a doctor and make $100,000 a year, you'll need to spend 11 years in college / training and it will cost you at least $100,000 in tuition / books / etc. You can make so much more than any doctor or lawyer as an online marketer and there is no tuition requirement. Sure it's frustrating to put hours and hours into building a landing page, getting keywords together, creating ads, finally launching it and then losing $100 because there were no conversions. Be frustrated, that's fine, but bear in mind that you now have data to analyze and hopefully get you closer to the golden egg. The only time that a losing campaign is a true loser is when you learn absolutely nothing from the data.

2. Data

Data is what we are all after, conversions are secondary. What?!? Yes, you want data even more than conversions. Why? Because good, relevant data will lead you to conversions and you will make more money. If you're only focus is conversions you tend to lose site of the data. Keep your focus on the data, pay attention to conversions and you'll make money. Get as granular as you can. The more granular, the better you can slice your data. The better grasp you will have of placements that work - and why - better grasp of demos that work - and why - you get the idea.

Learn how to use Prosper202, Google Analytics, Website Optimizer to your advantage. Learn to love spreadsheets. I've got intraday spreadsheets, weeklies, monthlies, campaigns, etc. I LOVE my spreadsheets. Between the spreadsheets and analytics (P202, GA are both analytics softwares) I can tell you exactly what works and why. Which makes finding and testing new placements easier and cheaper.

Data also extends to how much you pay your advertisers. Don't just assume that what they tell you is correct. Because of my anal-retentiveness and spreadsheets I caught a $1200 charge on an account that the salesman didn't divulge originally. It was supposed to be there (as far as the ad network was concerned) but they didn't include it in their stats (it was a hidden charge). I only caught it because I had spreadsheets of daily charges and noticed a discrepancy. They ended up reimbursing those funds. AND to make things sweeter, 2 of my friends got reimbursed as well because the ad network knew I would tell them about the charges.

3. Expenses

All businesses have expenses, this one is no different. Hosting is probably going to be one of your biggest expense (besides advertising if you're doing PPC / PPV / Display / etc.). Also, hosting is one of the most critical components of your business. DON'T skimp on it. I personally believe that shared hosting is not good enough for even small time marketers. Why? Because with shared hosting you're on a box with hundreds, maybe thousands, of other accounts that could be sucking resources away from your sites and causing the page load times to be longer or in extreme cases crash the box. Get a VPS at minimum. There are less accounts per machine and you have infinitely more control. You can get a VPS account for under $50 a month. I've got one with Knownhost for $34 a month, and the sites hosted there pay for it.

Once you get to the point that you are running thousands of clicks a day to your site, get a dedicated box. It'll be the best $200 - 300 per month you spend.

4. Build a network

No, not an affiliate network, but a network of colleagues that you can bounce ideas off of, vent with, bullshit with, have a beer with, whatever. No man (or woman) is an island and just like losing weight, you need a support system. They don't even have to be other affiliate marketers, although that helps. The more people in your network, the more resources you'll have to draw from. When you get stuck, you'll be able to ask your network what to do.

Also, make your affiliate manager earn their money. Talk to them on a regular basis. Find out what the hot offers are, what's converting, where to advertise, etc. It is in their best interest to help you make money.

5. Read

Read blogs, forums (like WickedFire :D), trade publications, FTC press releases, pretty much anything that can help you learn more. The flipside to this coin - and something that trips up a lot of n00bs - is getting caught up in reading too much and not DOING enough (this was the basis for the No Excuses threads).

Here's a partial list of blogs and such in my Google Reader:

• BluehatSEO.com
  • PPC.bz
  • NickyCakes.com
  • AdHustler.com
  • Oooff.com
  • Diorex.com
  • SlightlyShady.com
  • FTC.gov
Basically, I have most of the WickedFire blogs in there and a bunch copywriters, like Bob Bly, Michel Fortin, Clayton Makepeace, and then press release stuff like the FTC and various other consumer releases. I don't read everything that comes through. Usually I skim the headlines, read the posts that interest me and come back to the others when I get bored.

6. Do Something

I've been preaching this for years now, but when you find yourself playing the "what if" game too much...STOP and just go do something. Create a new site, find a new ad network, anything, just don't sit on your ass. Again, this is the whole concept behind the No Excuses threads. To quote Dale Carnegie: "Action breeds confidence and courage". Unless you try something, you will never know if it works or not. So, eat the frog and get something done. Stop over-analyzing stuff you haven't tried.

7. Don't Chase What's Hot

Just because something is the hottest new thing doesn't mean you have to promote it. Chasing the latest craze can also be a huge time / money pit. Why? When you're new you don't have the experience necessary to make rapid adjustments. Find your niche / vertical and stick with it. There are tons of guys here and elsewhere making thousands daily and they aren't slinging berriez. OMG! Yep, it's possible and may even be easier for you in many cases.

Once you have more experience under your belt, feel free to expand into as many niches / verticals as you can handle. My only point here is: don't spread yourself too thin, especially while you are still learning this business.

In conclusion

Remember guys (and gals), it's your business. You will get out of it what you put in. There are people making millions of dollars / euros / pounds per year marketing online. Why can't you be one of them?

Last edited:

I appreciate and approve of this rant. This chick has just gotten off of her ass and has started "doing something". The things that I've learned over the past few weeks by taking action versus sitting on my ass has been amazing. I'm ready to rock this out. Thanks for the boost Mike!

I liked the last two lines, it is serious business and you get what you put in.

Here's a nice quality post to throw in the treasure box for the noobs. I think procrastination at least for me is a huge problem. I'm currently reading that book "Eat That Frog" to try and get some ideas on prioritizing my work.

Here's a nice quality post to throw in the treasure box for the noobs. I think procrastination at least for me is a huge problem. I'm currently reading that book "Eat That Frog" to try and get some ideas on prioritizing my work.

Ironically, I have "Eat that Frog" on my bookshelf...and haven't read it

:party-smiley-004:

I think the best thing you can do first thing in the morning is something related to your work. Yes, that's vague, but whatever is the thing that you put off the most is what you should do. If it's checking stats and adding them to your campaign spreadsheet, do that. If it's creating new banners / ads, then do that. Whatever part of your business is your least favorite: that's what you should start with. IMHO, the worst thing you can do in the morning is start reading forums. Seriously, there is too much garbage to get side tracked with. Forum reading should be reserved for times when you have completed all the other necessary items for the day and have time to goof off.

solid advice - having a trigger finger ready to kill traffic at the first sign of trouble (low cr) is surefire way to consistently lose money across many campaigns jumping from niche to niche.

I have to agree with the "getting off your ass" part. You can read all the forum posts you want but your not going to learn the basics like installing wordpress to cpanel, activating plugins, using all in one seo, getting backlinks without paying for them, and all the other parts of the learning curve your exposed to when you get off your ass.

Good stuff there Mike. Every noob that signs up here at WF should have to memorize that and recite it word for word before they can post.

The server part is so true. I had a bunch of my projects on a shared server and one day, out of the blue, they just turned me off. I was the guy sucking too many resources with all of my sites. Moved over to a couple dedicated servers and I don't even worry about that shit anymore. Sure it's $300 a month, but it's worth the peace of mind to know I've got the space and quality servers.

Good stuff.

I "started" learning IM in February 2009.

I made my first commission - mostly due to lack of action - on October 16th 2009. It was a whopping $0.16 via the EPN using A2P. I've never been so excited over 16 cents in my life, literally.

Today I should make about $900 - that is not a "per day" claim - just that today was my best day ever. Many days are still zero. I've been providing services, and SEO/Marketing plans to customers using the skills I've developed - all of THAT money is funding my "real" efforts, paying for my new VPS, a variety of tools, etc, that are starting to really make me money on the backend.

Study + bootstrapping + time + effort = Success so far.

*EDIT: I should add that it was SEO Mike's original "How to make money with the A2P plugin" post that got me actually started on the road to making some money.

Yeah, action breads confidence, I made my frist $3.47 2 days ago. It wouldn't've happened if I'd been wondering and musing about the possibilities.

I will also add something to this: When you're starting out, I'm still starting out, so I've still got to take this more to heart than I already am, But you wont know what will work. The offer that I'm promoting now looks like a piece of shit, I wonder why anyone in their sane mind would shell out $$$ for it, however they do, and who am I to argue. Its dollars in my pocket.

Nice post, Mike. It covers an area that is easy to grasp after experience, but difficult to grasp beforehand.

I love hearing stories about people's first foray into online marketing! Truth be told, I still get amped about $20 days on EPN. The most I've made in one day was in the $xx,xxx range, and while that was awesome, it's the littlest victories that are the most exciting.

Congrats guys! Keep plugging away!

I appreciate and approve of this rant. This chick has just gotten off of her ass and has started "doing something". The things that I've learned over the past few weeks by taking action versus sitting on my ass has been amazing. I'm ready to rock this out. Thanks for the boost Mike!

Tit shots will get you stats from converting campaigns!

solid advice - having a trigger finger ready to kill traffic at the first sign of trouble (low cr) is surefire way to consistently lose money across many campaigns jumping from niche to niche.

^^^ This

Sticky this rant for the noobs!

Leave it to Mike to post quality stuff.

Ironically, I have "Eat that Frog" on my bookshelf...and haven't read it

:party-smiley-004:

I think the best thing you can do first thing in the morning is something related to your work. Yes, that's vague, but whatever is the thing that you put off the most is what you should do. If it's checking stats and adding them to your campaign spreadsheet, do that. If it's creating new banners / ads, then do that. Whatever part of your business is your least favorite: that's what you should start with. IMHO, the worst thing you can do in the morning is start reading forums. Seriously, there is too much garbage to get side tracked with. Forum reading should be reserved for times when you have completed all the other necessary items for the day and have time to goof off.

Thanks for the advice man. I just get so overwhelmed sometimes it gets hard to focus on one thing at a time. I'll take your advice and start doing the shit that's always sitting for awhile.