Gratuity Included

I live in a smaller town (12k people), and most all of the restaurants I eat at are NOT chain establishments.

I always try and leave 25% minimum, but usually more. For example, went for lunch Friday and my total was $17, I left a $7 tip (40%). I do this because I know I'll be back, and I don't mind leaving a couple extra dollars if it gets me great service every time.

Truth is, it would probably be good service even if I didn't leave much of a tip. But the staff is always polite, remembers what I ordered last time, etc... I consider it a way of saying thanks more than anything else. And besides, if they are waiting tables, they probably need the money more than I do, that's how I look at it.

Wow, page three. I didn't know a vent would go this far.

I've read through the thread at least four times over the past 48 hours, and I've gotten a lot of different responses. I've got to say that I've liked eliquids ideology the most.

Next time I go to that restaurant, if the gratuity is tacked on again (for the party of two, not for a large group, that's understandable), then I will be asking for the manager.

In addition, I plan on getting to know the managers of any of the sit-down restaurants that I attend that have hard-to-get reservations. That and Carrabbas in Asheville. Mmm.

But I typically leave between 15% and 25%. I'm cheap when it comes to haircuts, and my girlfriend is certified in that kind of thing, so I get them for free. For the most part.

for those who worked in the service industry:
on average, how long would you spend waiting for a table of 2?

reason i am asking is that last weekend went out with my gf to a restaurant and was actually estimating how much time servers spend on us and came up with 3.5 mins..... or i am missing out on something?