Google unveils search overhaul

Gertex

Jan 21, 2011
Google Revamps Search With Massive 'Real World Map of Things' | Epicenter | Wired.com

Google unveils search overhaul

Google has grown a brain, and users in the U.S. will soon begin to see new search results starting Wednesday, where Google will display a widget of information about a topic or thing, instead of just a list of links.
It’s called the Google Knowledge Graph, which the company says includes some 500 million persons, places and things — and their billions of relationships to one another.

Google calls it a new underpinning for its still dominant search engine – a change the company says will affect more searches, percentage-wise, than when it introduced “Universal Search” in 2007, which brought together video, shopping and image results into the list of links to web pages.

more on those pages...

Looks like they are just basically added wikipedia type information onto the serp page?

Ok, so Google is basically stealing content and presenting it as their own? Ok, so now plagiarising content or stealing it is ok as long as you include a link?

I'd sue the crap out of Google if they showed my content like that.

This looks like a revenue reducer to me, since it would affect both organic and paid results.

What am I missing?

This looks like a revenue reducer to me, since it would affect both organic and paid results.

What am I missing?

USER EXPERIENCE BRO

happy-people-multicultural-5.jpg

Really though they're probably shitting their pants at how pissed off people are with the shitty results lately. Not just IM's are feeling it anymore, they've really fucked up.

This is like when the government is doing something really sketchy, so they pull off the old kill a celebrity deception to mask their evil.

Ok, so Google is basically stealing content and presenting it as their own? Ok, so now plagiarising content or stealing it is ok as long as you include a link?

Google has been the world's most powerful scraper since the day they set their site live. They added this shit so that you look at the column full of ads to the right (or at least start looking there for this information even if it's not there for every query) instead of the organic serps to the left.

Also, if you get your answer from google rather than clicking out from their results, you're more likely to just run another search. more ads.

Everything Google does is to either: 1) increase the number of eyes seeing their ads or 2) collect more demographic data for ad targeting. They're the largest advertising company in the world.

USER EXPERIENCE BRO
Really though they're probably shitting their pants at how pissed off people are with the shitty results lately. Not just IM's are feeling it anymore, they've really fucked up.

This is like when the government is doing something really sketchy, so they pull off the old kill a celebrity deception to mask their evil.

Heh. I agree it's a better user experience, but that's an area where they seem to be fine. Not like they are losing market share (90+ percent, right?)

I'm not sure the perceived benefit outweighs the downside.

<what is actually going on>

It is pretty well understood (by Google and by others) that in 10 years search will be nothing like it is today. It will be far more of a 'question answering' experience than an 'aggregate webpages and list them to the user with no other intelligence attached to it (besides the sorting algorithm used)' experience, which is what it currently is now. Google has already shown they want to move in that direction, they are starting more and more to answer questions when you do a search (search 'how old is jayz').

This is a step towards achieving that goal. Why?

#1 Google must be able to determine what a user is searching before it could begin to answer a question like this. For results like this one they have that data so that the user will answer the question for them. That helps them with figuring out what a user means when a user is typing something, which is very important in both search and in question answering.

#2 To begin to answer questions, Google needs a database like this. If a user asks "How old is X", they need to have a graph of all of those relationships. This is a pilot (and a much lower stakes pilot) to get the technology out there without actually needing to answer users questions.

This specific rollout isn't about user experience. It's about creating and refining the technology needed for a future rollout that will have everything to do about user experience.

Why do I know this? Among other things, I'm developing similar technology (admittedly for slightly different reasons). I've also talked with people (Google employees + research labs at universities with huge funding from Google) about what technology they are using to achieve this.

</what is actually going on>

This is fantastic and I agree with nearly everything said here.
In the future, after perfected, Google becomes a wikipedia type island where you go to "google something" for more information.

For surfing websites, there will be something else. I see them as initially growing huge, hitting that near 100% dominance then a fast deflate as people actually start searching the internet to draw their own conclusions and for the experience of it.

Although I think it's cool, my analysis tells me they just killed their golden goose to get all the eggs out. Oops, classic mistake now the goose is dead.

JCash, give me a prediction on when everyone decides they want to search the internet for their own information and start flocking away from Google.....

This is fantastic and I agree with nearly everything said here.
In the future, after perfected, Google becomes a wikipedia type island where you go to "google something" for more information.

For surfing websites, there will be something else. I see them as initially growing huge, hitting that near 100% dominance then a fast deflate as people actually start searching the internet to draw their own conclusions and for the experience of it.

Although I think it's cool, my analysis tells me they just killed their golden goose to get all the eggs out. Oops, classic mistake now the goose is dead.

JCash, give me a prediction on when everyone decides they want to search the internet for their own information and start flocking away from Google.....

You are wrong, sir.

These are the same people that get their news from one source by watching a single news program on TV, read a single newspaper or visit a single news website.

These people don't give a shit about drawing their own conclusions, the 99% want to be spoon fed information as fast as possible. Google is trustworthy and would never tell a lie, much like Fox, the BBC, Sky News, CNN...

Thinking for yourself is dying out.

It is pretty well understood (by Google and by others) that in 10 years search will be nothing like it is today. It will be far more of a 'question answering' experience

We shall call it... Ask Jeeves!

You don't own copies of your content.

If you make your content publicly available, and you don't deliberately tell Google to NOINDEX, they will index, just as if I see your website, my brain will catalog what I have seen there.

You own what is in your head, and on your website. You own what you copy (because you made the copy, in your head, or on your website).

Likewise, Google owns the data it scrapes, including what it scraped from your website.

Copyright, patent are just arbitrary systems thought up by men, they reflect nothing in nature. They are no different than laws against pot or drinking under the age of consent. Is pot objectively "bad" or does the law say it is bad?

Likewise, copyright limits copying, but is copying actually bad or is it bad because the law says it is.

There is an important trend emerging, and that is information freedom. If you intend to be in business producing content, I think it's essential that you understand the consequences of an economy where information is free.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4"]Copying Is Not Theft - Official Version - YouTube[/ame]

Thinking for yourself is dying out.
I don't think it is dying out, but we realize how outnumbered we are.

I have yet to see an example of these new results coupled with any ads at all. Every one I've looked at had no ads. I would imagine they're avoiding slapping ads on these kinds of SERPs for fear of being sued.

These big companies don't do any major move without thoroughly consulting their army of in-house lawyers. I'm sure they've thought this through.