Google Filing Suits Over Bissops!!

How is a fake blog one thing and fake article another? Maybe its just me but they both seem to be basically the same.

A blog is one's personal experience or opinion. Fake articles go one step further and introduce a higher level of trust and "authority". It mimics real news site layouts to gain the user's trusts in an extremely tricky manner.

Looking at the court docs it's a bit puzzling because they seem to suggest that the 50 John Does are all under the juristiction of Utah. Surely if these mystery affiliates are based outside of the US then they're not going to be able to do a fat lot?

A blog is one's personal experience or opinion. Fake articles go one step further and introduce a higher level of trust and "authority". It mimics real news site layouts to gain the user's trusts in an extremely tricky manner.

Let me tell you how to make an article style page that pisses off people with more money than anyone in this space has. Let's take for example you're promoting an ebook outlining how to buy and sell things for profit on ebay.

1) use meg whitman's name and photos all over the page, and attribute fake quotes to her which, implied or stated, directly endorse a product with a confusing similar name- like "official ePay auction system"

let me know how that goes, the problem isn't the style of the page, it's the fact that you're being an assclown. Don't take this as me passing judgment, I don't give two shits nor will I complain that it's "bad for the industry" - however a site like that is ridiculously overboard and anyone with a brain isn't shocked that it will piss powerful people off.

Nothing wrong with a fake article style - I got taken in by one in GQ magazine just a few months ago. It was written real slick and I'd not noticed the small "advertisement" writing in 8pt grey text on the top on the page, I thought it was an editorial until it got a bit too salesman-like in the last few paragraphs and I clicked.

Just look at the fake news reporter style adverts or the fake video blog style adverts on TV. This sort of shit gets pulled everyday in every advertising medium and noone cares as long as they don't start taking the piss.

the thing is though, this tactic has been used in newspapers, magazines, and on TV for years.

- "Special advertising features", 5 page ads in magazines that look like an article

- Back page ads of newspapers designed to look like normal articles

- TV ads on CNBC with the blue/white scroller at the bottom featuring Obama talking about credit card debt

it's not just fake internet articles, and it's been going on for decades

Looking at the court docs it's a bit puzzling because they seem to suggest that the 50 John Does are all under the juristiction of Utah. Surely if these mystery affiliates are based outside of the US then they're not going to be able to do a fat lot?

if you did business with Pacific Web Works directly, I do believe you are governed under laws of the state your business is in, as well as theirs. It depends.

It's kind of like those "STATE OF CALIFORNIA FINDS THIS TO BE CANCEROUS" warnings on packaging in other states.

its not the method of advertising that's the problem its whats being advertised.

its not the method of advertising that's the problem its whats being advertised.

This.

I was explaining what I do to my Grandfather and Grandmother the other day - keep in mind that they're nearly 85 - and the first thing my Grandmother says is that it sounds like the way I advertise and what I advertise aren't the best.

...I wasn't sure what example to use to really explain my stance and just as I was about to say something my Grandfather dropped a wisdom bomb.

He said, "When I was in the army I'd get some grass [weed] and tell the guys that this stuff would get them high, get them girls, and make them have the best night of their lives. It obviously didn't live up to the full promises - but guys didn't question that the product didn't work because it got them, if they used it, a little high and they probably had a good time. How you advertise isn't the problem - not giving the product and taking their money over and over is."

Of course he doesn't really understand that the re-bill is where the money is made. But it got me thinking - and in principle he really is right. Products that have promised massive weight loss, without doing anything, have been around for years and years. Do they work? Not really. But the reality is, just like with mmo products, 50-80% of people simply won't use the products - and the ones that do, and see no results, simply figure it's not right for them.

...Very few women, or men, will actually follow through doing exactly what's told. And maybe they loose some weight - maybe they don't. If they don't they may complain but your looking at maybe 1% complaining.

Women who buy the berries know that it's too good to be true. Deep down they know it won't work - but they just hope that maybe this one thing will help them, this one thing will give them the life they've always wanted.

When they get billed the first time, whether they got the berries or not, they probably feel stupid or even embarrassed. Maybe embarrassed when their husband asks them what this big charge is for.

They get upset not because the product doesn't work - they don't expect it to. They get upset because they've been had, they've been played, and that's when they get vocal.

Look at any complaints board. Maybe 1% will say, "The product doesn't work."

...Re-bill them $70-$90 but when they want to cancel - let them. They may never buy a free trial again, but they won't bother complaining because you haven't really built a fire under them - you've just let them down.

Oh the poor middle aged housewives of America.

Did you actually look at it?

I did, and I'm not disagreeing that the article is fraud and the person is an idiot.

I agree, but to me it seems the same. The flog and article both have false testimonials. The flog still mimics a person that isn't you. Yes, you could relate to the experience you write but to me it still feels fake.

I could see both views, just my 2 cents.

Nothing wrong with fake articles. Like others said, those are all over the place in magazines like Business Week. I would play around with the words and instead of telling someone they will make XXX amount of money, say they will make up to XXX.

As for false testimonials, I once "borrowed" testimonials / user comments off youtube for an e-cig lander. I didn't make up the testimonials.. I was just quoting someone.

Guys responding to my post, I know you're not retarded so what's the issue.

I myself use farticles and was not stating any moral opinion towards them either way (for or against).

I was just explaining the difference between a farticle and flog to ItsYoBuddy. They are very, very different because a blog doesn't really mimic any famous and trusted blogs, they are just stupid looking "personal" blogs. Most farticles clearly mimic very large news sites.

I appreciate your responses though and am well aware that farticles have existed in magazines for quite awhile, and that the underlying issue causing this lawsuit is marketers taking the farticle one step too far, but that has nothing to do with my original response.

Anybody know when those 50 John Does will be announced? Just wondering if you happen to be one of the people on the list how will you hear about it short of actually getting served.

Anybody know when those 50 John Does will be announced? Just wondering if you happen to be one of the people on the list how will you hear about it short of actually getting served.

to my knowledge in the Harpo suit thus far I don't think they ever unveiled more of the 'Does 1-500' which they had listed.

don't have an answer to your question, but it's interesting to consider/watch that given this similarity.

someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I very well may be, since I'm not involved I don't keep pulse on this regularly.

Youll be officially served if youre added. Meaning someone will hunt you down to hand you a piece of paper that says youre part of the suit.

The john does are always added in case so that during the discovery process they find someone else who is part of the case they can add them easily.

Youll be officially served if youre added. Meaning someone will hunt you down to hand you a piece of paper that says youre part of the suit.

The john does are always added in case so that during the discovery process they find someone else who is part of the case they can add them easily.

What happens if they can't find you? :cool: Will Google choose to postpone the whole thing until they find John Doe #23 or just continue without him.

What happens if they can't find you? :cool: Will Google choose to postpone the whole thing until they find John Doe #23 or just continue without him.

LOL, process servers don't come at a specific time and politely knock on your door. Ever see the movie Burn After Reading, specifically the part where the character John Malkovich plays is served divorce papers at a bar? Process servers find you in public places, when you least expect it.

No, But they will add more john does than 50 if they find more. Even if they don't hand you the paper. Service can be made by taping the complaint (lawsuit) to your front door.

Service can be made by taping the complaint (lawsuit) to your front door.

I think this depends on the state, not sure if this will fly because what if someone rips it off your door or something. I thought they had to physically hand you the papers.