Google Content Retargeting is Annoying the Shit out of Me

conv3rsion

Get Money + Get Paid
Dec 14, 2008
I've never wanted to install ad block before, but after seeing nothing but liquidweb and apmex ads on every website on the internet for weeks, I'm losing my mind here.

Anybody else annoyed by this "feature"?

Haha even with an ad blocker you can't stop the little Youtube ads that float on top of the video. Yes annoying.

Is it possible to turn it off as an advertiser??

I wonder how many impressions I get from retargeting

Dude I totally feel ya on this one.

I bought some shoes on Zappos (creative recreation casarios, bad ass shoes for the price fyi), and for the last 5 months I've been destroyed by zappos ads showing the shoes I already bought, then I got a pair of jeans and ohh.. it was game over, so many zappos ads I couldn't take it anymore and cleared all my cookies and cache. that did the trick.

6bO8i.png

Yep I can relate. I see this bald doofus about 500 times a week.

6bO8i.png

Yep I can relate. I see this bald doofus about 500 times a week.

wtf? whoever thought that would be a good hero shot for an ad?

On a separate note - a friend of mine is marketing director for a fairly big UK eCommerce operation. They've just been banned from using Retargeting by Google after they started selling sex toys, and forgot to exclude them from the retargeting campaign.

Apparently Google got complaints from people who started getting random dildo ads whilst they were surfing the net.

Do you clear cookies/cache/history? I do so whenever I close a browser and only notice ad targeting based on each browsing session.

all you have to do to stop these jags is to right click on the image (in firefox) view image info and then tick the block images. This will only block the google ads. So all your other ads you want to see will still show up. Its the only way i could get rid of that bald ass head from Storm.

I'm glad it's not just me. A couple of weeks ago I bought some ski gear on Altrec.com, and now every 300x250 and 160x600 is populated with the stuff that I didn't buy. Also getting annoyed by Liquidweb/Aweber/Rapleaf.

LOL, my thoughts exactly: a bunch of marketers complaining about ads! Imagine how the average consumer must feel!

Bro usually I love ads, I click on them all day to see what everyone is up to but I already have liquid web hosting and their frequency is just insane. Usually it's like 1-5 impressions retargeted after I recently visit a site, or once a few days or something but they have a mission and it's to burn the image of that liquid web guys head into the mind of all who seek cloud hosting products.

LOL, my thoughts exactly: a bunch of marketers complaining about ads! Imagine how the average consumer must feel!

The average consumer simply doesnt notice them as much as we do. I practically drive around town noticing pretty much all big ads out there (and facepalming to them) because I am a marketer. Normal people don't do that. We notice that stuff way more than the average crowd. Thats probably making us all go insane.