Fear of Dying

A recent episode of "Nova" on the topic of quantum mechanics addressed the death topic in a way that made me think about it in a new way. The possibility that alternate universes exist in the same space, at the same time as our own, addressed the probability that we understand very little about the true state of our existence.

Journalists take some "wonders" of quantum mechanics as a reason to talk all kinds of crap about it. Its not as spectacular as it sounds. If they talked about something amazingly cool its most likely made up bs by some retard.

One of my favorites from Mark Twain. “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” ~Samuel Clemens

Journalists take some "wonders" of quantum mechanics as a reason to talk all kinds of crap about it. Its not as spectacular as it sounds. If they talked about something amazingly cool its most likely made up bs by some retard.
As if the "glories of the kingdom of god" wasn't made up by a bunch of hairy men in sandals for retards' consumption. They get a lot of mileage out of this praising the master. At least quantum mechanics is based on science and there's proof it actually exists.

To quote the late Steve Jobs on his death bed: "Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow." I wonder what he was seeing.

A brain being starved of oxygen? Even if you do believe there is something beyond this life, I don't see why you'd believe that on your deathbed you can see where you're headed.

Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other.

- Francis Bacon

Being raised in a fundamentalist church has given me pause when I think about death. I do not believe the things I was taught as a child, but they were so ingrained into my psyche I sometimes wonder. That kind of shit is hard to get over. Even 20 years after the fact.

Last edited:
The universe puts you here, so why worry about the universe taking you away? You weren't here to begin with. The fear of death mechanism is just built into our brains to help us stay alive and enjoy life.

And yes, some form of reincarnation is a definite possibility. The only thing you should fear is coming back as a cockroach or some other inferior life form.

The worst thing imo is to spend the whole life sincerely believing you are a "skin encapsulated ego" and nothing more. There is a little true insight on the topic within the classic texts of Judeo-Christian tradition and Islam, while mystical branches of these religions, as well as some Buddhist and Hindu writings do offer some clues. But the best way to elucidate the matter are modern consciousness researches, by Stanislav Grof, Rick Strassman, Albert Hoffman and alike. And, do try some proper acid in the right settings to personally estimate the validity of different claims on the account.

There is a little true insight on the topic within the classic texts of Judeo-Christian tradition and Islam, while mystical branches of these religions, as well as some Buddhist and Hindu writings do offer some clues.
You totally left out insight offered from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti monster dude, not cool.

And after LymeJosh just reminded you a few posts back too. How disappointing.

This is weird because I'm listening to a podcast by my meditation instructor right now, who was a monk in Thailand and went on to spend years working with the dying in hospice care. Wrote the book "lessons from the dying".

Currently he's talking about how death, as we perceive it, is the death of our narrative... the voice in our head that obsesses over making plans for (or worrying about) the future, lamenting the past, occupying our minds with distractions in the present, chasing or retreating from experiences judged as "good" or "bad", anything to keep from confronting and accepting what IS. He says that in all of the dying people he has worked with, their spirits never change until they reach the point where death is certain and real in their mind. They don't take anything for granted after that point and relinquish control, which for many is the longest period of "enlightenment" they'll ever experience, even if they're dead a day later. And this is why people carry on about some wisdom to be gleaned from the dying. The enlightened dying have simply shut off their narrative and stopped trying to make their experiences something other than what they are at that very moment. They don't know more than anyone else, they've just put aside the bullshit. Sounds stupid when I over-simplify it on a forum, but in context of the full teaching it's actually quite impressive.

The Buddhist monk who immolated himself during the Vietnam war sat in the middle of the street engulfed in flames for 10 minutes without moving a muscle before his dead body fell forward. You can't learn that.

Fear of death only exists in proportion to our attachment to ego.

What's the podcast? Link?

Fear of death is not so much of the actually dying part but of non existance. Since for each and every one of us, the universe only exists with us, we can't imagine death. I would think that meditation and a search of nothingness in the mind would help prepare for dying.

I'm in no rush to find out what happens, but its interesting to think about when you don't let your emotions drive your conclusions.

Look at how old the universe is, billions of years old. (Even if you only think it's 6,000 years old, that's still a long time). Why are we here at this specific time? How do we know we weren't somewhere else before, or something else before?

Relative to all existence, we are here but for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a moment. You can take that two ways. Life is either extremely short and final, or life just happens to be short now, but getting longer (exponentially I might add). It either happens once, or it is cyclic (like everything else in the universe appears to be).

Something to keep in mind. There is absolutely no proof that our consciousness is something unique. We for whatever reason, cannot grasp just what the concept is that gives us self-awareness, to put it another way, we are not self-aware of our self-awareness. It's like the concept of zero and infinity, it took a long time before human beings were even capable of accepting the very concept of nothingness and infinity. We still can't imagine zero, our logic is restricted to thinking that if the universe is in fact still expanding, that if we got to the edge of it, there still has to be at least some vacuum 50 feet beyond. If the big bang theory is correct, then that is reality, and we can't even process it with our brains.

Still, assuming infinite expansion, some combination of elements created our individual selves. If those elements continue to expand, and create new combinations, then it is more inevitable than not, that another sun identical to ours will be born again, a solar system identical to ours will develop around that sun, and another being identical to ourselves will walk a planet earth identical to ours.

So if you can find comfort in that, do so. :)

Oh and yeah, eventually (trillions and trillions of years into the future), the universe will burn up all of its hydrogen and star factories will cease, as will life. If there aren't any parallel universes, then that's what you really have to be worried about. Not this little bitch death on earth. =P

I'm in no rush to find out what happens, but its interesting to think about when you don't let your emotions drive your conclusions.

Look at how old the universe is, billions of years old. (Even if you only think it's 6,000 years old, that's still a long time). Why are we here at this specific time? How do we know we weren't somewhere else before, or something else before?

Relative to all existence, we are here but for a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a moment. You can take that two ways. Life is either extremely short and final, or life just happens to be short now, but getting longer (exponentially I might add). It either happens once, or it is cyclic (like everything else in the universe appears to be).

Something to keep in mind. There is absolutely no proof that our consciousness is something unique. We for whatever reason, cannot grasp just what the concept is that gives us self-awareness, to put it another way, we are not self-aware of our self-awareness. It's like the concept of zero and infinity, it took a long time before human beings were even capable of accepting the very concept of nothingness and infinity. We still can't imagine zero, our logic is restricted to thinking that if the universe is in fact still expanding, that if we got to the edge of it, there still has to be at least some vacuum 50 feet beyond. If the big bang theory is correct, then that is reality, and we can't even process it with our brains.

Still, assuming infinite expansion, some combination of elements created our individual selves. If those elements continue to expand, and create new combinations, then it is more inevitable than not, that another sun identical to ours will be born again, a solar system identical to ours will develop around that sun, and another being identical to ourselves will walk a planet earth identical to ours.

So if you can find comfort in that, do so. :)

Oh and yeah, eventually (trillions and trillions of years into the future), the universe will burn up all of its hydrogen and star factories will cease, as will life. If there aren't any parallel universes, then that's what you really have to be worried about. Not this little bitch death on earth. =P

If I were a pothead I would be all like 'oh man that is some deep shit there'. Luckily I am too busy to think about these things too much.

There's really nothing to fear in death. I've been in a situation where I honestly thought I was going to die. After accepting the fact I was probably going to be dead I had an odd sense of calm that I've never experienced before or after.