Domains stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do you feel the need to use fake contact info? I would understand if you're doing blackhat stuff, but you're not. You just want to be a domain reseller.

Do you think anyone is going to offer on domains owned by Zorro?

Are you advising me to have my full name and address on the whois of all my domains then?

Dullspace, if you are a woman take me out of my misery and tell me :love-smiley-085:

Yes, use real contact info or WHOIS privacy. It sounds like you don't have a reason to be hiding anything.

Yes, use real contact info or WHOIS privacy. It sounds like you don't have a reason to be hiding anything.

this is what I asked originally. The WHOIS privacy adds 30 % of the cost of a domain.
And *nobody* on sedo has his name on the WHOIS.

1000 domains, $3000 just in WHOIS privacy. No way. I know nothing about this but I do know there's a way out.

There are registrars who offer whois privacy protection in their basic domain registration fees. And Sedo accepts screenshots of your control panel as verification of ownership.

And *nobody* on sedo has his name on the WHOIS.

You're smoking crack. Top 3 Sedo auctions WHOIS:

Forest.com - Rick Latona (Posted on WF 2 weeks ago)
Palladium.com - Kevin McCarthy
eSite.com - PJ Briscoe
Shill: FirstCard.com - Elie Waked

1000 domains, $3000 just in WHOIS privacy. No way. I know nothing about this but I do know there's a way out.

But you don't have 1000 domains. You have, maybe four. And by the time you have 1000 domains you better have some deals with registrars that get you cheap as hell pricing. Or you could, you know, use a registrar that gives you WHOIS privacy for free.

You're still not getting my point though. You have no reason to use WHOIS privacy, or you at least haven't posted one. If you're doing blackhat stuff with a domain, alright use fake info, but how do you plan on being a domain reseller like that? I got a phone call a month ago from Mike B of Mall.com, IS.com, Development.com, ect offering me $40k on one of my domains. Don't you think I'm glad I had my phone number on there?

There are registrars who offer whois privacy protection in their basic domain registration fees. And Sedo accepts screenshots of your control panel as verification of ownership.

that's what they told me this morning

" remove the privacy shield on your whois and then re-send your
confirmation email from the admin-c address once the whois information is
visible. This usually takes about 24 hours. Once we have verified your
ownership, you can of course re-activate the privacy.
Thank you for your co-operation and I look forward to hearing from you."

That's why I was thinking that If I can remove the privacy shield on the who is then place my correct details then replace them with the ones that are in there now... well I might as well make my own privacy shield and save the $2 or $3 each time.
But I am not sure how this shit works. I only recently found that I can change my info in there and if I get a privacy shield there's some mickey mouse info instead.

But frankly, I don't care about Sedo, I don't see what they offer that I don't have already. Perhaps one day I'll see the light :)

I'm telling you what I know to be a fact. Ask them if you can send a screenshot.

You're smoking crack. Top 3 Sedo auctions WHOIS:

Forest.com - Rick Latona (Posted on WF 2 weeks ago)
Palladium.com - Kevin McCarthy
eSite.com - PJ Briscoe
Shill: FirstCard.com - Elie Waked

how could you mention the smoking, fully knowing I am fighting a nicotine addiction? tsk tsk I now know you are a woman talking to me. That was a low blow that was.

ok, I shouldn't have placed the ** around the word nobody. Perhaps I should have said: none of the first 6 I checked has a public whois address, then I assumed that they were all private (it stands to reason since sedo is doing the inbetween) and stopped checking.
Ok I'll just have to read up on all this..

But you don't have 1000 domains. You have, maybe four. And by the time you have 1000 domains you better have some deals with registrars that get you cheap as hell pricing. Or you could, you know, use a registrar that gives you WHOIS privacy for free.

uhm no I have a few more than that but ok, strike a deal with the registrar.

And.. would you know what it takes to become a registrar? I am thinking cheap domains rather than the whois. In fact I am going to grab the internic site for offline reading, that'll be fun.

You're still not getting my point though. You have no reason to use WHOIS privacy, or you at least haven't posted one. If you're doing blackhat stuff with a domain, alright use fake info, but how do you plan on being a domain reseller like that? I got a phone call a month ago from Mike B of Mall.com, IS.com, Development.com, ect offering me $40k on one of my domains. Don't you think I'm glad I had my phone number on there?

you are a gemini or a lion, but I might be totally wrong and I am a bouncing fool :xomunch: <-- bouncing fool

yeah I get the point. I just need to be hammered it. Think Colombo. :)
I am afraid of identity theft. No other reason why I don't want the details there. I do no blackhat. I don't mind having the phone number, email address and first name. Just don't want the snail address in there, not on tons of domains anyway.

$40K for one domain? jeezus that's 20k in UK money I guess it's bowing time :bowdown: :bowdown:
please let me know when I may get up :bowdown: :bowdown:

I'm telling you what I know to be a fact. Ask them if you can send a screenshot.

I understand, I am not doubting you, I am sure it is me and the way I formulate my questions.
I can come across as an arrogant bastard you know.

I put a screenshot of her email right on the front page of the domain in question then mailed her to go look at the domain, isn't that proof enough?

In any case if I cannot drive traffic to the domain name then I don't see what the point of sedo is.
I might make a single page myself, add some content and a few ads, then post to it every so often. Build some stats. Spend $7 on some directory submission. This way it'll even get a rank at some point.

And.. would you know what it takes to become a registrar? I am thinking cheap domains rather than the whois. In fact I am going to grab the internic site for offline reading, that'll be fun.

I think the licensing cost is something like $5k-$10k up front, but you need to prove around $75k in cash reserves to backup your renewal fees. I might be a little off but I think those are roughly correct. Moreover, it doesn't figure out your WHOIS privacy issue.

WHOIS privacy is NOT a special kind of flag that tells the registry "do not show this guys personal info." The option is a just a feature where a separate entity actually assumes ownership of the domain and lets you pay the renewal fees and use it. The registry still requires that real contact info is used in the WHOIS. There isn't much legal precedence on the issue, but thats how I believe it works.

I don't mind having the phone number, email address and first name. Just don't want the snail address in there, not on tons of domains anyway.

You can use a mail drop, like a local Mailboxes Ect or a P.O. box.

In any case if I cannot drive traffic to the domain name then I don't see what the point of sedo is.

Type-in traffic. Remember, we talked about this at the beginning of the thread. They don't want other traffic because it's lower quality.

There is a reason AdSense requires content on the page and Google-sponsored parked domains don't. It's the big secret that no one is taking about--parked traffic converts like gold.

Type-in traffic. Remember, we talked about this at the beginning of the thread. They don't want other traffic because it's lower quality.

There is a reason AdSense requires content on the page and Google-sponsored parked domains don't. It's the big secret that no one is taking about--parked traffic converts like gold.

that clears up the question I had as to how Google ads are sometimes displayed on such parked domains.

But why does parking with sedo make it better than making your own simple page?

You mention type-in traffic, I understand it might be better traffic but I don't lose type-in traffic if I have my own page, I am just adding to it :)

The issue is one of opportunity cost. Of course developed domains will make more money than parked domains. Still, the way domain prices have continued to move, most domainers have figured out its better to spend their time and money working on acquisitions rather than development.

The cost of making a web page in both time and money has dropped dramatically. CMS scripts like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, ect, we were all unimaginable 10 years ago and now anyone can install them in 5 minutes. Most smart domainers realize this trend is going to continue, but Verisign isn't making premium 1-word .coms anymore. Now is the time to scramble to pick up generics while we still can, and think about developing them in a decade.

I understand, I am not doubting you, I am sure it is me and the way I formulate my questions.
I can come across as an arrogant bastard you know.

I put a screenshot of her email right on the front page of the domain in question then mailed her to go look at the domain, isn't that proof enough?

I might make a single page myself, add some content and a few ads, then post to it every so often. Build some stats. Spend $7 on some directory submission. This way it'll even get a rank at some point.

I don't think you were arrogant. But I'm a single female and I'm not going to announce my residence or business address or any other confidential information about myself all over the internet, which is why all my domains are privacy protected. I just went thru it with Sedo and the screenshots issue which is why I mentioned it. But you have to ask them since they probably have tons of employees and they may not all be familiar with company policies and exceptions thereof.

Good luck with your ventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.