Do you like it when indian service providers call you SIR ??

I make the Indians call me Commander, Your Honor, or Boss.

Anytime they slip up I fire them.

I dont like boss, but I like sir. It's good to not be too informal. Familiarity breeds contempt.
This.

I get called sir, call people sir and mr. simultaneously and it's just proper etiquette all across the board.

"boss" conjures black/white memories of Sicilians leaning from Mahogany armchairs... now that's not my thing! ;)

ps; they need something like Lord in other EU languages too! Some people really insist on being addressed as 'Baron/Count <full lastname>' while others settle with 'Mr. <primary lastname>' and some even just want to be called by their first name! Lord <primary lastname> would straighten that all up.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

That is exactly what i am talking about and the reason why i don't want you to call me Sir (by the way i am french), because i know why you are doing it and you are wrong. I don't think that "americans" here think they are better than you, it's all in your head, all people are equal. that's the cheap attitude i am talking about, and that's why i referred to this practice as a form "degradation" in my first post.

and yes matt, some Indians can't start or close a sentence without "sir" when they are dealing with you .

What's worse is employing black and hispanic subcontractors from the hood. They keep calling me homie, nigga, "G", brother from another mother. Totally unprofessional.

it bothers me too, back to the summer when i was taking a vacation in kuala lumpur, the taxi driver who drove me to the airport kept calling me SIR..

I don't see what's wrong with being called sir or boss. Better then the alternative -- nigga, cracker or chink.

Well guys called by SIR is an gret honour and respect .

We Indians use this. We believe in

' GUEST IS THE GOD'

This makes us to call you Sir while communicating but as the matter of the corporate industry the trend in India is evenchanging peple calls by using thier respective names of persons these days.

I'm surprised a lot of people are okay with this. It's not that I care that much about it, but I think it's sloppy to not notice it and discern what is going on here.

I don't think it's in particular the word sir that the OP has a problem with as much as the whole trying to impress you attitude. It's an oldschool approach to business that you would learn in college like 50 years ago. It's fake and while they think they are being polite by doing it they are actually being rude in many ways. They're trying to force a fake polite on you and it's obvious what their motives are. Sumit proved the point by saying the truth is they don't really care and just want to make money. They all do the exact same thing like lemmings and very few are ever just cool with you like a real person. I think that is what the OP is trying to say.

Obviously, this has to do with their culture - Indians are very polite and formal. But if they were as polite as they claim to be they would do some homework and try to blend in with their employer. They would keep him happy rather than piss him off.

It's also sloppy on the Indian's part because they don't care enough to read the person they are working with and figure out how to act to them. The employer is just another "sir". Even though the employer will speak to them as an equal they for some reason think they need to call them sir and use all these BS phrases that we are already way past. We're talking business, we're past the fake small talk.

If I was working for an Indian or whoever I would carefully try to match their interests and blend in with their culture / personality. I would gauge what's going on and make myself stand out from all the other people bidding for the job.

Case in point: Amit is Indian but when I talk to him he comes off super cool and just regular. He immediately fits in because he doesn't separate himself by hiding behind his culture and trying to bait the American in with a fake etiquette. He's smart enough to make himself relevant to the other person and as a result is extremely successful in his endeavors.

Anyhow I'm just talking to myself now... /rant/opinion

^^ Geez you expect quite a bit.

I never really care what anyone calls me as long as they do good work really.

The only thing that really bugs me is when people call me "bud" all the time because I have the distinct feeling they think they are better then me and that's why they do it. Then I just get the fuck over it and stop thinking about inane things.

^^ Geez you expect quite a bit.

I never really care what anyone calls me as long as they do good work really.

The only thing that really bugs me is when people call me "bud" all the time because I have the distinct feeling they think they are better then me and that's why they do it. Then I just get the fuck over it and stop thinking about inane things.

I figured that's how it would be taken, but that's really not it. They could be the biggest asshole, but if they get the job done I could care less. It's not that I expect it, but rather notice it. I like to think I am very easy and laid back when it comes to this sort of thing - I just happen to notice it and file it in my head.

I'm surprised a lot of people are okay with this. It's not that I care that much about it, but I think it's sloppy to not notice it and discern what is going on here.

I don't think it's in particular the word sir that the OP has a problem with as much as the whole trying to impress you attitude. It's an oldschool approach to business that you would learn in college like 50 years ago. It's fake and while they think they are being polite by doing it they are actually being rude in many ways. They're trying to force a fake polite on you and it's obvious what their motives are. Sumit proved the point by saying the truth is they don't really care and just want to make money. They all do the exact same thing like lemmings and very few are ever just cool with you like a real person. I think that is what the OP is trying to say.

Obviously, this has to do with their culture - Indians are very polite and formal. But if they were as polite as they claim to be they would do some homework and try to blend in with their employer. They would keep him happy rather than piss him off.

It's also sloppy on the Indian's part because they don't care enough to read the person they are working with and figure out how to act to them. The employer is just another "sir". Even though the employer will speak to them as an equal they for some reason think they need to call them sir and use all these BS phrases that we are already way past. We're talking business, we're past the fake small talk.

If I was working for an Indian or whoever I would carefully try to match their interests and blend in with their culture / personality. I would gauge what's going on and make myself stand out from all the other people bidding for the job.

Case in point: Amit is Indian but when I talk to him he comes off super cool and just regular. He immediately fits in because he doesn't separate himself by hiding behind his culture and trying to bait the American in with a fake etiquette. He's smart enough to make himself relevant to the other person and as a result is extremely successful in his endeavors.

Anyhow I'm just talking to myself now... /rant/opinion

thanks for that, you expressed my opinion better than i ever could have done.

About Amit, i sent him more orders than any other indian, for this same reason, super cool, down to earth, no artificial or fake Attitude. think about it, the only indian who doesn't use the "SIR" attitude, is the most successful freelancer on wickedfire. hopefully Indians here can learn from him.

Before starting my own online projects, i was a freelancer too, on digitalpoint my nickname is Funkymario, i made a 6 figures amount because of my normal / cool attitude. being normal and friendly helped me make a few millionaire friends online, and those guys kept giving me expensive and lucrative work. this could have never worked if i had a boring and cheap "sir attitude".

anyway this was just my : "IMHO" :cool: